[HCDX] Logs for Al Muick 13 Nov 2008

QTH:	Kabul, Afghanistan
RX:	WinRadio G303e
ANT:	200m Longwire/Randomwire
ACC:	Palstar MW-550P Mediumwave Preselector

4780	DJIBOUTI, RTD heard at 1930 on 13 Nov. w/French station IDs but also
announcements in AR and apparent Afar.  Poor signal with some local
electrical noise.  On past 2000 sked'ed s/off.

4810	ARMENIA, Armenian Natl. R. heard with YL vocals to arabic-type mx at
1920 on 13 Nov., until 1928 with OM annx in possible Arabic w/several
station IDs and tx'er off at schedules 1930.  Poor signals, but no QRM/QRN
and moderate fading.

4976	UGANDA, R. Uganda with EG talks on 13 Nov at 1916 GMT.  Horrible QRM
from Tajikistan on 4975 and from a RTTY station on 4974.  It was the 60m
dogpile from hell until 2000 when Tajikistan signed-off.

It was an African kind of night, and one of the coldest nights I have had
yet in Kabul.  I think the winter is truly setting in, and it reminds me of
those cold Pennsylvania days spent deer hunting in my youth...but I digress.

According to press reports, the security situation is deteriorating here in
Afghanistan, however, I truly see no difference from when I arrived.  It's
always been the Wild West here.

Tried to stay up late to see when Djibouti would actually go off the air,
but at 2200 GMT it was still there, and, fueled by hi-test coffee though I
was, I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.  I'll try again next
Thursday!

Best 73s to all,

Al Muick

"It seems to me, Golan, that the advance of civilization is nothing
but an exercise in the limiting of privacy."
 - Janov Pelorat in Asimov's Foundation's Edge

Order your WRTH 2008: