[HCDX] CT(Yule)LOG 081229

Konnie’s CT(Yule)LOG 081229
** USA-MN, KSTP (pres), 1500, Sun Dec 28 2338-UTC.
Caught my attention first was the anncr-less Christmas songs this late in the season, in a foreign language albeit, and then a Sunday program preacher in it's null.  Much needed KSTP never reached level long enough for signif detail, quick spurts of a sec or two once in awhile.  Coincidently, my daughter drove home and walking thru the door asked where does Radio Olympus on 1500 come from?  That answered the language question, WTWP-DC with Greek programming.

EE Anncmnt 2349, "We interrupt regular programming on Federal News Radio to bring you this [wait for it...] special sports presentation on 15-00 and 8-20 AM."  Washington Capitols Hockey pgrm - retiring of #11 Mike Gardner after ten years.  I knew the Christmas songs, in any language, were too good to last (Washington stomps Christmas!) Gave up KSTP after an hour - "never fails, just as you start recording, the signal is never what it was when you first heard it." (Konnie Rychalsky, SW CT)

** USA-NH, WGIR, 930, Mon Dec 29 0942-UTC.
"Z-DX" or snooze while recording DX, found five (six?) stations, fighting it out before sunrise, in stereo*.  Presumed WHLM-PA (sounded like WHMO or LO) w/ Christmas songs quick into fade, and two stations carrying Coast-to-Coast with echo, WBEN-NY one of them.  Two other stations exchanging stage, one with early '50s oldies format but never got an ID.  Just before end of tape, another ID heard: "WGIR Sports."

Not so fast, Santa...there is no WGI-R on 930, come to find out.  WGIR is on 610 from NH.  A quick search of stations with call letters WGI-*, it was interesting to find instead a WGI-N on 930, and also from NH, and a WGI-P on 1540, and again - also from NH.  Simple logical deduction, all three freqs as assumed are listed in WGIR logo, www.wgiram.com along with am930wgin.com.  Also explains one Coast-to-Coast station heard, carried here.  No clear or obvious notation though that 930 carries 610, while 1540 a daytimer.

*Stereo recording made using two receivers, facing 40 and 290 degrees respectively (L & R channels) from here.  Anyone who has read this far, and is interested, and would like to hear a sample, I’ll send an mp3 attachment for your interest, as long as you promise to listen with headsets!!! (Konnie Rychalsky, SW CT)
Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032870/direct/01/

Order your WRTH 2008: