[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 30-31, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 30-31, 2008

** AUSTRALIA. RA still not making it on 9590, so have to try 7240 instead, UT Dec 31 at 1512, but an SSB ham was using RA as his precisely tuned BFO, which happens all too often, and would seem to be self-defeating as RA is also modulating both sidebands! Apparently, RA does not want to operate above 7300 so we`re stuck with these collisions (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA [and non]. Listening to the doomed SW broadcasts from here, 13730, Dec 31 at 1356 playing song in English ``There Are No Diamonds in the Mine``, then interview in German to 1400* with ID as O-E-Eins, not O-umlaut; meanwhile bothered by noises from what should be a silent carrier on 13740 as CRI relay via Habana was warming up.

Later caught what is presumably the final English SW broadcast from Austria, via Canada relay 13675, Dec 31 at 1650, all about the late Jörg Heider, to leave us with a bad taste. Sackville cut it off at 1659* sharp before the program was over, so no farewells to be heard!

If Moosbrunn SW transmissions really cease at yearend, and there does not seem to be any certain info about this, people looking for the Vienna New Year`s Concert will be disappointed. It should be live around 1000 UT Jan 1, when 6155 and 13730 have normally been on the air.

Countless public radio stations in the US carry it at a more convenient time for us, 1600 UT, some in the West delay it further, and a few play it back in the evening. See our holiday calendar at http://www.worldofradio.com/calendar.html#holiday

PBS TV carries a different version in the evening as well (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CFRX, 6070, Dec 30 at 0708 talkshow interviewing someone who had spent more than a year of solitude in Chilean Patagonia. This was a helluva lot more interesting than CVC Chile itself underneath with its gospel rock crap, and never anything about Chile. Yes, CFRX signal was way over CVC this time, tho when CFRX faded a bit, CVC came up by comparison. For a commercial CFRB show, went quite a while without ad break. Referred to website http://www.bobkull.com and the show was Best of Holder Tonight --- ``phones are being steam-cleaned while he`s away, so do not call``, ha ha.

But I copied it wrong, since that website goes to some guy in New Jersey, nothing about solitude in Patagonia, and he is on a book tour. The show site does not have any guest details either:
http://www.cfrb.com/shows/576409 – Peter Anthony Holder is normally on live at 1-3 am ET weekdays = 06-08 UT.

Here`s the guest`s correct site I searched out: http://bobkull.org/
The idea of spending a year of solitude in nature rather appeals to me, altho I might choose a milder climate than Patagonia. From the part I heard, it sounded like he was completely out of contact, not even a 2-way radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1441, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. RHC English dumped off 6000 early, Dec 31 at 0654, while 6060 continued; but it uncovered Harold Camping on WYFR with a poor signal. Per FCC B-08, WYFR is scheduled on 6000 with the 50 kW transmitter at 181 degrees, 0500-1000, switching at 1000-1200 to 100 kW, 160 degrees. I must say I seldom notice QRM to RHC from WYFR on 6000, when they are colliding 0500-0700, but 6000 is not the best signal from RHC, 6060 and 6140 being much better (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 12035, Dec 31 at 1404 ending a month-by-month chronology of 2008y news events, ``The New Year Special Program``; then various music. The Letterbox normally on Wednesdays never appeared. The Dec 30 broadcast previewed the first-half-of-2009 program schedule, delaying start of Live from Turkey. I hope they now have the program schedule somewhere on the website rather than making us wait weeks for it in the P-mail (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. More confusion from WRMI, 9955: the last I knew, AWR Wavescan was scheduled at 0630 UT Tuesday, but Dec 30 at 0655 I was hearing Spanish, La Rosa de Tokio hour-long DX program, at the moment mentioning LV de tu Conciencia, then wrapping up with credits; 0658 WRMI English ID, 0659 R. Prague relay in English. Jamming pulses of 3 per second but sounded different than usual, with modulated tones as well; then at least two transmitters out of sync. Lucky Czechia: at 0706 I was hearing another R. Prague relay on 6160, CBC Overnight via CKZN, no jamming.

The next night, UT Wed Dec 31, Wavescan appeared on 9955 at 0600, instead of 0615 Brigade 2506, and WORLD OF RADIO 1441 got its first airing at 0632 as scheduled; fair signal, some fading, good modulation, no jamming audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: