[DX] Italia sulkee Vatikaanin radion ?

Hei!

Lähetän tämän BBC:n uutisen myös sinne.

t. HR
------------
Italy threatens to silence Vatican

The radio station broadcasts the Pope's messages

Italy has threatened to cut off electricity supplies to the Vatican's radio
station because it says the station's transmitters are causing magnetic
pollution.
People living near the radio station have complained of a series of health
problems, including cases of leukaemia.

It's an extreme decision I hope I won't have to take

Environment Minister Willer Bordon
The Vatican has been ordered to reduce the magnetic fields from 18 volts per
metre to six per metre in accordance with Italian law - even though the
radio station is on land considered to be international territory.

When the 440 hectare (960 acre) opened in 1951, the area was sparsely
populated - but now, about 100,000 people live nearby.

Environment Minister Willer Bordon has given the Vatican 15 days to cut the
pollution at the station, based in Santa Maria di Galeria, 30km (19 miles)
north of Rome.

"It's an extreme decision I hope I won't have to take," Mr Bordon told
reporters.

Mr Bordon said electric lights in homes near the site come on by themselves,
and if someone opens a refrigerator, or the doorbell rings, they hear a
Vatican Radio broadcast.

"Astonished"

La Repubblica newspaper quoted figures from Lazio public health authority
which said children living near the transmitters were six times more likely
to get leukaemia than those living in the rest of the region.

The antennas violate Italian law

The Vatican has argued that the radio station does not have to comply with
Italian law because of the 1929 pact with Italy that established Vatican
City as an independent city-state. But Mr Bordon said it was legally
possible to take action against the station because local people were at
risk.

The Vatican has denied any scientifically proven link between
electro-magnetic waves and illness.

Vatican Radio said it was "astonished" by the threat to cut the station's
power supply and that it did not contribute to the "calm climate" needed to
resolve the dispute.

Legal proceedings against three Vatican Radio executives were due to start
in Rome on Monday but have been postponed until September.

A forest of antennas beam Vatican broadcasts around the world. Italian
ministers do not know whether the radio would still reach all its listene

******* Hannu Romppainen, Paltamo, FINLAND ***

Oma sähköposti aina käytössä! http://luukku.com