From: T&M Ritola [mailto:ritola@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 14. marraskuuta 2001 2:38
To: dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DX] kelit

Kyllä keli kuitenkin on enimmäkseen aikamoista suhinaa. Alkuyöstä ei mitään
TA:ta. Arvot tällä hetkellä nämä:
SFI:232 | A:4 up from 3 | K:1 at 0000 on 14 November.
SAF: moderate, GMF: quiet to unsettled
Aurora Level: 6

Eli aurora level ei laske kovin alas, vaikka A ja K on ollut pitkään
alhaalla.

Tässä Thomas Giellan tulkintaa tämänhetkiseen tilanteeseen NRC-listalta:

"Polar cap absorption and polar radio blackouts are caused by high energy
protons arriving via a solar flare. These high protons create the auroras we
see and overionization of the D layer and absorption of northerly latitude
broadcast band radio signals by the D layer. End result, what we call
auroral conditions when Caribbean, Central and South American signals are
predominate. As the A/Ap and K/Kp values are tied to ionospheric storms and
magnetic disturbances and the F layer only is affected, low A and K values
can fool you into thinking conditions on the broadcast band should be good."

POLAR CAP ABSORPTION (PCA).  An anomalous condition of the polar IONOSPHERE
          whereby HF and VHF (300- 3000  khz) radiowaves are absorbed, and
LF
          and VLF (3 - 300 khz) radiowaves are reflected at lower altitudes
          than normal.  In practice, the absorption is inferred from the
          proton flux at energies greater than 10 MeV, so that PCAs and
          PROTON EVENTs are simultaneous.  Transpolar radio paths may still
          be disturbed for days, up to weeks, following the end of a proton
          event.

PROTON.   Solar activity levels with at least on high energy event (Class X
          Flares)

PROTON EVENT.  By definition, the measurement of at least 10
          protons/sq.cm/sec/steradian at energies greater than 10 MeV.

PROTON FLARE.  Any FLARE producing significant FLUXes of greater-than-10 MeV
          protons in the vicinity of the earth.

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/spaceweather/polar_com.html