[DX] CKIM 1240 - Magic 102,3

Tervehdys,

Tässä tietoa jenkkitaajuuden 1240 mysteeristä nimeltään Magic 102,3. Lopussa
myös ohjelmajohtajan puolestapuhe sähköpostiverifioinneista.

73
Jim Solatie

Greetings Jim and Family,

Thanks for your reception report of Magic 102.3fm on 1240 khz on Monday,
December 3.2001
between the hours of 03.30 and 03.45 Newfoundland Standard Time. The
cassette you sent does indeed show our identification, a Christmas
Jingle with Actor "Eddie Murphy" doing his impression of Mr. Roger's
Neighbourhood's "Eviction Notice" sketch, followed by a Christmas tune
"Santa Claus is Coming to Town".
Congratulations, Good Dx-ing. I say that because CKIM 1240 is only a
1000 watt transmitter on the northern coast of Newfoundland. It was
always a repeater for CKCM in Grand Falls-Windsor (A Country Music
Station), but the cost of running a broadcast quality telco line all the
way up there was getting to be too high, so in November of 2001, we put
up a yagi beam next to the transmitter shack, pointed it toward Grand
Falls-Windsor, put in a am/fm tuner, and tuned in 102.3mhz to feed the
transmitter input. This "Off-Air" sound is now being re-broadcast on
1240khz at no cost. The listeners love the music change.
You and your fellow dx-ers may be interested in noting that "Magic
102.3fm" (CKXG-FM)
was once CKXG 680khz (Kixx Country) in Grand Falls-Windsor. I started
there is 1980. Our
company purchased the VOCM stations, including CKCM and CKIM, as well as
CFCB in
Corner Brook, Newfoundland a couple of years ago. Since we now owned two
AM "Country
Music" stations in the same market, we decided to shut down CKXG-AM,
mainly because the transmitter was ancient (RCA-BTA-10U 10.000 watt),
with the serial number being "7", so it was really old and falling
apart. We then recieved government approval for the conversion to FM
Stereo with a ADULT CONTEMPORARY music format. This is what you heard on
CKIM.
After 21 years of playing Country Music, I enjoyed the change.
You may now delete CKXG-AM from the list of Canadian stations.
E.mailing the confirmation of your DX reception is much easier than
mail, so you guys should
continue to do it this way.
Thanks Again, and Happy Dxing

Richard King
Program Director
Magic 102.3 FM (CKXG-FM) /  CKIM 1240 AM
A Division of Steele Communications / Newcap Broadcasting
35 (a) Grenfell Heights
P.O.Box 620
Grand Falls-Windsor
Newfoundland, CANADA