[DX] Crazy Finns - peditionkeskustelua asemien näkökulmasta

[DX] Crazy Finns - peditionkeskustelua asemien näkökulmasta

WNTD, Chicago, 1KW-ND-D, 5 KW DA-N. Is regularly heard in Finland at night.

Well, you have to understand that those Finnish DXers are using better-than-average receivers like Drake R8's, AOR 3030's and such, with Beverage antennas a couple thousand feet long.

As almost anyone who has operated a 50 KW plant, especially if it had a DA aimed north, can tell you there is lots of mail and not just from Finland. I have seen it as far south as England and Germany.

Absolutely.  The 1290 I used to work for in Omaha got DX letters/tapes from Finland on a fairly regular basis.  Usually these were guys who take a couple weeks of vacation around Christmas/New Years and go up into the frozen north part of the country, which apparently is sparsely populated.
There they can string up elaborate antennas and DX as long as they can stay  awake.  They can hear lots of US AM stations on their "dxpeditions".
Those guys are nuts. :)

We've gotten a handful of DX reports from there, too. I'll never forget the first one! It was a good 2 minutes or so, and there we were! Being a Daytimer, we're an especially sought-after "catch". :) It's also off the "back" of our pattern, so with WTOP's 50Kw flamethrower (and virtually non-D pattern) it's a wonder they hear us at all!
The most recent was especially *wierd*. It was mostly just hash and static. Suddenly, from out of the soup, "WFIF!" in *my* voice! Then just as quickly as it came up... *gone*.
What's cool is when they would send us pictures of their setups. Most of them are little "cabins" that would be more accurately described as tool sheds! Bunk beds on one wall, a wood stove in one corner, and a table with radio gear in the other. Antenna wires (as many as a dozen) are strung through trees, out to thousands of feet. Each wire is on a different angle, thus allowing selecting the wire whose major lobe points most closely to the station(s) of interest.
I always enjoy getting those overseas DX reports, because they go to such extremes. :) I try to "reward" them with all kinds of technical details about the station, a program guide & bumper sticker, and give them the WEB address.
Several have replied with heartfelt appreciation that we went the "extra mile". Sometimes, their English is a little hard to read, but they get the point across. :)

Well, yes, I have heard that the reindeer population exceeds that of humans in that part of the world.  But, the only "nuts" thing I can thinkof is sitting in a hut in the middle of a sub-zero winter.  Now, a DX-pedition to the Kona Coast of Hawaii is something I could go for.

http://www.susiraja.net Hanki sinäkin itsellesi ilmainen sähköposti susirajalta.