re: Removing passive menbers

This message is sent by dave_kenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Form: Reply
Text: (19 lines follow)
I agree with Robert that it would be WRONG to remove non-contributors,
especially after only of  two months of inactivity.  Maybe SIX months would
be a more reasonable lenght of time.  Working full time in radio (for BBC
Monitoring) and also in an administrative and editorial capacity for the
British DX Club (Club treasurer and UK News editor), there is a danger of
"burn out" and it is sometimes necessary to take a break from active
participation, perhaps for three months or more. However  I AM still keen to
keep in touch. Being on several other lists, and for the reasons mentioned
above, I would only occasionally have time to contribute, but I hope that
what I would contribute would be worthwhile. It may not be possible to do
this precisely every two months, so I risk being removed from the list. The
main losers  would be the other subscribers to the list who would miss
whatever I might have contributed perhaps a week, or month or two after my
two months had elapsed...
 Dave Kenny                            100437.173@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 BBC Monitoring                      Dave_Kenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Reading RG4 8TZ,  U.K.      Fax:+44 1734 461993

Original text: (45 lines follow)
>From owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxx, on 17/09/95 17:21:
This message is sent by "Robert M. Bratcher Jr."
<bratcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

I think this is a very POOR idea! I belong to 6 mailing lists and none of
the 5 others are doing this to non posters. Yes I respond & post some of my
own to OTR (old time radio list), Boatanchors (tube type SW radio's), and
50's, 60's Nostalgic TV. I hardly ever post to Wildfeeds (sat TV) or 78-l
(for 78 record collectors). However I do read all 6 lists. Yes I LOVE to DX
but I don't have one of those new solid state sets with a digital readout. I
use a Hallicrafters SX-73 and a Hammurland HQ-180C which both have analog
dials. It's rather hard to tell exact frequency on those. Sometimes I have
to catch an ID then look the station up in the WRTH to get the true
frequency if it's not announced. Of course it will be much easier when I get
my R390A working as the freq dial is just like digital. You know what
frequency your listening to. I will give DX logs when I can just don't drop
me for not posting. I normally don't do a lot of "hard core" DXing just
spend maybe 8 hours a week tuniong around the bands. I have a lot of QSL's
from my younger days just haven't sent a signal report in 6 months. Lately
the only reports I mailed to stations were for AM DX tests. That doen't mean
I don't try for the hard stuff. I do my share of 60, 75 & 90 meter DXing
from time to time. I have heard both the BBC and the VOA on 75 meters
several times last winter. I was downloading files via FTP last night around
2 AM central (not paying attention to UTC) while listening to Radio
Austrailia on 31 meters when they announced the opening of a 75 meter
frequency. I tuned down there after a couple of minutes thinking about doing
a signal report for a QSL (reel to reel recorder running) and heard nothing.
Just SSB hams and no Radio Austrailia! I was thinking "hey another DX
catch!: but No Dice, the path just wasn't there. Oh well maybe next time....

Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
E-mail to:
bratcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Beam me up Scotty!