NF DXpedition

This message is sent by MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxx
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

      *** PRESS RELEASE - Newfoundland DXpedition ***

 A DXpedition to Cappahayden and Renews on the eastern shore of
 the Avalon Peninsula near Cape Race, Newfoundland will be in
 progress from 8 OCT through 15 OCT, 1995.  This is the fourth
 such large-scale organized DXpedition to the area.  Earlier
 efforts were in NOV 1991, OCT 1993, and MAY 1995.  These
 respectively netted 65, 92, and 70 countries logged on medium
 wave.  Previous outings were typically of 3 to 4 days duration
 with 3 or 4 DXers.  This latest DXpedition will be a week long
 with up to 6 DXers participating at various times.  Although
 international medium wave remains the primary focus, shortwave
 DXing (particularly Tropical Bands) is also likely to occur.

 DXers involved in this DXpedition are Jean Burnell, David Clark,
 Mark Connelly, Bruce Conti, Neil Kazaross, and Jim Renfrew.

 Drake, Lowe, Icom, and other receivers will be used.  Several
 Beverage antennas will be utilized at two seaside locations about
 5 miles / 8 km apart.

 Preliminary results will be posted on E-mail shortly after the
 DXpedition and a full report will be issued to DX News, DX Monitor,
 Medium Wave News, and other relevant hobby publications a week or
 two later.

 We're shooting for 100 countries on medium wave and the logging
 of rare DX stations never before reported in North America.  If
 the weather isn't too foul and if the ionosphere cooperates,
 these objectives should be met.  In 1993, we almost had Sri
 Lanka - 1548 and Qatar - 954.  These will be obvious targets
 along with stations such as India - 1566 (which we did hear before).
 If it's auroral (not likely), we'll be cruising for African medium
 wave as we had done in 1991.  BBC Lesotho on 1197 probably won't
 be too hard to find; the lower-powered Nigerians, Angolans, etc.
 will be more of a challenge.  And we won't forget South America.
 Top-notch USA locations such as Cape Cod, Cape Ann, and the Maine
 coast give some Brazilian DX at times, but they don't come close
 to what can be heard on the 1 km Brazil-Bev at Cappahayden,
 Newfoundland.  In 1991, we had many 250-watt Brazilian "graveyarders"
 between 1300 and 1600 kHz.  Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Bolivia,
 and other exotic Latin American countries have been heard on
 previous DXpeditions: we'll be looking for them again.

 I'm putting out the call for other DXers around the world, especially
 (but not exclusively) medium wave types, to scan the band during the
 8 - 15 OCT DXpedition period so that results can be compared and
 correlated.  Doing this will help us all to resolve our unidentified-
 station receptions.  If other DXpeditions can be staged during this
 period, all the better.  Share your loggings information with the
 Newfoundland team and other DXers via E-mail, FAX, telephone, "snail
 mail", ham QSO, or in-person contact.  The best way to get the
 information out would be to support the international DX columns
 in DX News and other hobby publications.

 Best of DX and 73 ... Mark Connelly   <MarkWA1ION@xxxxxxx>

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx