Re: Bombay? No longer!

This message is sent by Mika Makelainen <mtm@xxxxxxxxx>
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Harald Kuhl wrote:
> Believe it or not, but according to The Economist, the government of the
> Indian state of Maharashta just changed the name of the city of BOMBAY to
> MUMBAI. This change already has been officially accepted by the Indian
> government. It is very likely that All India Radio Bombay now identifies as
> All India Radio Mumbai. Just in case you hear that new announcement and

If I remember correctly, Bombay was officially renamed Mumbai already last
year. Actually it has been a long development: already many years ago the
municipal government of Bombay decided to change the name and erected a
sign proclaiming "Mumbai" at the famous Gateway of India on the Bombay
seafront. After last year's state elections, a hindu-revivalist party took
over the state of Maharashtra and changing the city name got the blessing
of Maharashtra state in early May last year - when I visited Bombay.
Mumbai is claimed to be the original name of the city, while Bombay was
a British formulation.

Later in 1995 even the central government of India approved Mumbai as the
official name. Not that it makes much difference - even local people are
very divided on the name issue and anyhow Bombay will be used in most
national and international contexts. By the way, the issue is not limited
to Bombay alone, sometimes with better success. Already years ago Gauhati
was renamed Guwahati, a name which has since then been heard on the air
and on the letterhead of the local All India Radio station.

73's
|             Mika Makelainen      |     snail: Keihastie 14 C,               |
|             mtm@xxxxxxxxx        |            FIN-01280 Vantaa, Finland     |

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx