IRCs in Ecuador

This message is sent by kuhl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Harald Kuhl)
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Concerning IRCs Ecuador I can contribute the following: The only post office
where you actually can buy or exchange IRCs is the main one in Quito. May be
it is also possible in Guayaquil. But not outside of these cities. IRCs are
expensive and you do not get much out of it if you are trying to exchange
them to cash or stamps. Don_t ask me about the exact prices, but it is not
worth thinking about it. The folks at HCJB exchange the IRCs they are
getting back in the U.S.

Also, sending an air mail letter carrying more than one sheet of paper to an
overseas destination is quite expensive. One U.S. Dollar pays for a very
simple letter. If you want to send (or receive) more, you will come close to
the equivalent of two U.S. Dollars. So, dealing with IRC matters in Ecuador
certainly is a waste of time (and money). Also think about this when sending
reception reports. With all the privatisation efforts going on, live is
getting quite expensive for the people living in Ecuador (and this perhaps
is true for other countries in the region too).

vy73
Harald

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx