IRCs (fwd mesage)

This message is sent by "Zacharias Liangas" <zliangas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

The folowing mesge appeared first in WUIN list . I forward it to you
===========================

                    IRC'S, MINT STAMPS, AND GOOD OL' 'GREEN'
        One of the most important parts of the 'package' of different
materials you send out to potential verifiers is return postage. Your
'package' normally includes a cover letter, PFC (printed form card), gummed
label with your return address, return envelope, and maybe some kind of
'freebie' article you toss in as an incentive or attention grabber. Return
postage, in one form or another, should also be included in all but exceptional
cases. There are, no doubt, some ute stations that are in a position and that
will in fact verify reception reports at their own expense, without you're
having to send them postage (or stationary). But even if they are few, by
sending along the postage, you are making the process easier for them, and
subsequently for yourself. (Probably the best way for you to evaluate the truth
of this is to send out a few reception reports without return postage and decide
for yourself whether it's worth it.)

        Of three possible methods of including return postage, mint stamps
win the approval of ute SWL's hands down. Mint stamps are denominations of
postage issued by different countries throughout the world, and which are
subsequently sold by special dealers in or near your own area. (For the name and
address of a mint stamp dealer, see the end of this article.) When choo- sing a
method by which a station in a foreign land can reply to you, you= just cannot
go wrong with mint stamps. In comparison to the alternatives, they are virtually
foolproof. If you have already affixed the stamp to the return envelope, the
station operator or clerk then needs only pop in the completed PFC and drop it
in the mail. If there is a more efficient method than this, I'm sure we'd all
like to know it.

        The next method, International Reply Coupons (IRC's), has been the
subject of a fair amount of criticism lately from even seasoned utes pro-
bably deserved. IRC's are ticket-size certificates which are sold by the
post-office and are redeemable in foreign countries for stamps sufficient to
send back a standard airmail letter. Rick Albright of Merced, Cal., says he
dislikes IRC's "because I feel the U.S. price (over .90 cents) is a ripoff.
(They cost $3.50 in Canada). They claim to be equal to all airmail postage
costs, yet most foreign stations demand at least two or three (Brazil is fa-
mous for that). Also, some out-of-the-way stations may find IRC's hard to
convert or not worth the effort."
        Rick Baker adds that IRC's "are used and understood by broadcasters. But
to send one to a warship, merchant ship, businessman or airline pilot who has
never seen one is pretty much a waste of time unless the fellow is going to use
his own stamps. They must be redeemed at a post office for a stamp only (no
cash). They cost U.S..98 cents (the last I knew). Some mint stamps cost less
than .98 cents, but in any case can readily be used 'on the spot.' You don't
have to run to a post office to redeem them."
         However, the nail in the coffin of IRC's comes from one who ought to
know, a station operator who has dealt with them from that end and answers about
a half-dozen QSL's every year. "IRC's are useless," says ship radio operator
John A. Wrafter in a recent post to the WUN listserver. "The time and effort
involved in locating a P.O. and redeeming one of these things is simply beyond
me."
        Which brings us to the last alternative for return postage, what Rick
Albright refers to as "green stamps", American moolah, hard currency, $1 bills.
"Postage costs are very high in some countries at this time," he says. "Airmail
in Japan is just over $1 and in Germany $2 barely does it, but if you include a
green stamp or two plus a mailing label, the station can opt to use its own
envelope and surface mail rather than airmail. There are no simple answers and
no one method works for all situations. If weight is not a factor, I go with
dollars and a plain return envelope. I had over 500 ute replies during a burst
of activity between 1987-1992." Wrafter has this to say about receiving money
with reception reports: "On occasion a dollar bill has been enclosed with the
QSL request, very nice, thank you very much, but I would have responded anyway."
As Albright points out, though, "mail theft by postal workers is a very real
problem in Latin America and the new Russia, and dollars, IRC's and stamps all
have value to a thief. Plus, even if the thief opens your letter and finds
nothing, there's no guarantee he's going to reseal it and send it on its way. Of
course, the recipient can just as easily keep the enclosure and junk your
letter, too."

        There are probably at least a few dealers in mint stamps scattered
in different locations. But the one whose name seems to come up most often
among utes is:

                              William J. Plum
                              12 Glenn Rd.
                              Flemington, NJ
                              08822 (USA)

        Plum specializes in the needs of DX'ers. If you know of any other
dealers, either in the U.S. or elsewhere in the world, please send us the
information. Until the next time, 73, and Bon Courage!

73s sangat dan panas!

Zacharias Liangas
pen-DX sejak 72
anggota World-DX-Club 2104