Re: UNID stations - help needed - reply

This message is sent by Bruce Portzer <BPortzer@xxxxxxxx>
to hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Mika Makelainen wrote:

> The following unidentified AM stations have been heard in March 1996
> in Finland by DXer Mika Makelainen. I would appreciate any help on the
> identity of these stations.
>
> North America:
>
> 800 kHz         a US(?) station broadcasting in Spanish. A spot for
>                 "Laboratorio Santo Remedio, P.O.Box 2817, codigo
>                 postal 90078", with a 1-800 phone number was heard.
>                 Based on conditions, this is from the East Coast.

My first guess is XEROK which broadcasts to a widely dispersed Spanish
speaking audience in both the US and Mexico.  90078 is the zip code for
Hollywood, CA if that helps. The higher powered Mexican border stations have
been known to air programs
sponsored by mail-order pharmaceutical companies, and this sounds like one
of them (the name of this
one seems to translate into English as Saint Remedy Laboratory....)

> 880 kHz         from the US West Coast, broadcasting in Spanish,
>                 announcing only a mysterious "PRV". Conditions
>                 favored Oregon, so I would guess KWIP Dallas OR,
>                 but not sure.

Could be, as KWIP broadcasts in Spanish

> 1490 kHz        from US in Spanish with a slogan "Radio Fiesta". Based
>                 on conditions at the time, must be West of the
>                 Rockies. Slightly later I identified KBKR Baker OR and
>                 KEYG Grand Coulee WA on this frequency.

I suspect KBRO Bremerton WA which carries considerable Spanish //KKMO-1360.
Their slogans vary depending on the time of day (their air time is rented
out to various groups), but I think I've heard them use that slogan.
They're local for me, so if you
can tell me what time you heard it I might be able to check further.

Hope this helps.

--
owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx