Re: The QSL debate

This is a message from ARNOLDEVNS@xxxxxxx

Let me jump into this debate from the station side of things.
At almost every station I have worked at, they love to get reception reports
and send out verifications.  However, sending out multiple verifications to
the same person is a little annoying if there is nothing particularly new or
interesting about the reception report.

At one station, they had compiled a big database of people who had sent in
reception reports.  Every six months, they'd send out a blanket mailing to
everyone on the list to update them on the format, things going on around the
station, maybe even send them a new bumper sticker, AND send verifications to
people who had sent in reception reports within the last six months.  Since
the wide-spread growth of the internet, some reports have been verified
almost immediately by the chief engineer.

Most engineers are not that interested or that organized.  But this was a
minor expense to a big station and has allowed them to keep a rather loyal
following among DXers.  (as soon as the engineering staff at KOOO gets things
settled down a bit, I'd like to see if they'll start a similar program)

I'm sure that at SW stations, the story is a bit different.  However, I don't
see why they couldn't just do something simple like what I mentioned above.
 Frankly, since their audience is naturally so far flung, it would make good
sense to me to try to keep in good contact with these folks.

Arnold Evans