the QSL debate

This is a message from Larry Shewchuk <shewchuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've enjoyed reading recent mail re. QSL. As a long time DX'er and former
journalist at Radio Canada International, CBC Radio and the Christian
Science Monitor shortwave service, I'd like to share the following thoughts.

It's great to see strong support for the QSL element of the hobby. As a
kid of about 12, hearing in Canada a station from Africa was an
incredible thrill. But then getting that QSL card in the mail from Africa
really cemented my passion for the hobby.

Although I've continued DXing and still consider my QSL cards from the
60's and 70's prize possessions, the demands of working for a living made
me focus what available time I had to DXing, as opposed to composing
reception reports. I haven't received a QSL card now for almost 15 years.

My abandonment of the QSL hunt came about the time many stations either
cut back or eliminated their QSL budget. At Radio Canada International,
they only reason QSL's have been sent out in recent years is because
local concerned members of the Canadian International DX Club in Montreal
took it upon themselves to ensure the tradition of RCI QSL cards. RCI
paid the postage, but local DX'ers volunteered their time to verify
reports.

At radio stations facing a budget crunch, having high-paid staff fill out
QSL cards is now a luxury many stations are having a hard time trying to
afford. Now, with e-mail and the internet, I see the trend in the next
decade toward virtual QSL cards. Receive an e-mail with an attachment and
use your colour printer to print out the QSL. Huge savings in postal
costs to major stations. Of course, if you don't have access to the
internet or the wealth to buy equipment, you are out of luck.

And to conclude, this trend, to me, will take some of the romance and
exotic elements out of the hobby. It's just not the same getting an
e-mail QSL from half-way around the world, as it is getting a wonderful
postcard from Africa, the Middle east or Europe, having it survive the
various postal services, then getting the thrill of finding it in your
mailbox.

But then, why should I care? Haven't gone after a QSL in 15 years. Been
there, done that. And the stations I worked at didn't much care. They
knew how good their signal was to different parts of the world because of
paid monitors. What they really wanted from listeners was feedback on the
program content. Most reception reports never had comments on program
content?

However, I do hope the QSL survives radio station management
indifference, budget cuts, ego-tripping DX'ers and the internet. If it
wasn't for the QSL in the mail box, I might not have cemented my passion
for this hobby when I was a tadpole to a dipole. And this leaves me
wondering how many other young people may give this hobby only a passing
glance because they may never have that thrill of getting as direct and
personal connection as you can possibly get from finding a QSL in the
mail box from halfway around the world. The internet is a wonderful
technology, but the QSL thrill just ain't the same via cyberspace.

Larry Shewchuk
Seven Sisters Falls, Manitoba, Canada
shewchuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx