Re: The QSL debate

This is a message from "Martin Elbe" <ELBE@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Friends!

Interesting debate going on. Certainly a QSL isn't prooving much more
than the exchange of two letters. But even then, I'm hunting these
"useless" pieces of paper and enjoy the thrill finding a nice QSL in the
mail. Makes life more interesting. Yesterday I had a letter from my
ex-wifes lawyer in the mail, an invoice and the usual lottery junk. But
then, there was still another letter: Humber Valley Broadcasting Co. Ltd
from Canada. Guess which one I opened first :-)

And there it was: Beautiful full detailed personal letter and a colourful
coverage map, verifying my report of the tiny 1 Kilowatter CFNW 790 kHz
from Denmark. Bingo! Afterwards I could even stand the lawyers letter
without loosing my composure!

> A lot of stations especially the big Internationals don't bother to check
> program detail in reports because it is just too time consuming..
>
> So again.. How many reports have we all had (Including me) over the years
that
> have not been correct yet a QSL has been issued..
>
> Believe it or not.. I once wrote to Radio Senegal asking for program
> information & received a lovely QSL in the mail..
>
> Another friend of mine once wrote to a PNG station on 49m... received the
QSL
> back and was embarrassed to discover that in fact he had been listening
> Radio Australia's PNG service..

That reminds me of a reception report I've sent to World Music Radio in
September 1980. At that time they were transmitting on 6221 kHz via
Andorra. I had my letter addressed to their P.O.Box in Rotterdam,
Netherlands. Three weeks later I received a QSL from R. Nederland verifying
6020 kHz. So, in the mail they only saw "Radio" on the envelope and
fowarded the letter to Hilversum instead of Rotterdam. And at Radio
Nederland they simply added "6020" to the QSL and sent it to me. Good
example, how international broadcasters check reports.

73's
Martin