Re: 1640 & 1680 kHz

This is a message from ARNOLDEVNS@xxxxxxx

> In the past few days two new TIS stations operating from the Dallas-
>  Fort Worth, Texas Airport have shown up on these two frequencies.
>  Signals very strong over the Eastern United States - in fact the
>  signal strength would seem to indicate the use of more power or a
>  much more efficient antenna than is usual with this type of station.
>  These are so strong that they at least have a chance at making it
>  to Europe and maybe beyond.  Check them out - 1640 & 1680 kHz.  I
>  have no info on address and you can get the programming when you
>  hear them.

Funny you should mention this to the group.  I happend to hear these stations
on my way home late last night as I was driving by DFW Airport where these
two stations are located. I thought they sounded pretty loud for TIS
stations.  I'd love to know where people are able to hear these stations.

The history behind these two stations is kind of unusual as well.  American
Airlines put up two huge signs with gate information along the main highway
that runs through DFW Airport.  As you were driving along, you were supposed
to be able to read these signs and know which gate to go to.  However, you
were not supposed to stop your car in the middle of the highway (speed limit
50) and read the signs.  Well, someone did just that, had a nasty accident,
got injured, and won a $50 million judgement against American Airlines.  So,
the signs had to come down.  The radio stations are the replacement for these
signs.  1640 is an alphabetical listing of departing American Airlines
flights and 1680 is for arrivals. If you hear it, you'll hear a female voice
just going through a list of cities and gate numbers.