Re: 31.75 mhz

This is a message from John Evans <john.evans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In message <199703112216.WAA07408@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "m. van arnhem"
<mvarnhem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>This is a message from mvarnhem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (m. van arnhem)
>
>Today, the 11th of march, we had very good conditions here in the
>Netherlands on VHF/UHF due to a strong area of high pressure over western
>Europe.
>At 22.08 UTC I heard a very short English radiocheck on 31.75 MHZ.
>Does anybody knows which stations in the UK are using this frequency?
>Max van Arnhem
>mvarnhem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good evening Max.

Looking at what Alan Gale (The Utemeister and Author of 'ZEN and the
art of BSA Motorcycles') wrote in reply about the other users of this
QRG in UK being Military....You used the words "Radio Check". This is a
very common phrase in military voice procedure in the UK.

When a station wants to initiate comms with another station for the
first time in that session, they will come up with a phrase such as...

"Hello Watchdog this is Zero, Radio Check over."

Watchdog should then reply... "Watchdog OK, over".... or "Watchdog
difficult, over".... or "Watchdog weak over"....etc., etc. The phrase
Radio Check is used to initiate calls, to check on comms quality, and
also to re-initiate comms after long periods of inactivity.

As you used the words "Radio Check" it is very possible that the comms
were of a Military nature. However, your guess is as good as mine as to
which user it was.

73 from Watchdog.
--
John Evans.   "....tis better to have lurked and learnt,
                 ....than never to have lurked at all."