Re: 31.75 mhz

This is a message from Alan Gale <alan.gale@xxxxxxxxx>

At 22:16 11/3/97 GMT, you wrote:
>This is a message from mvarnhem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (m. van arnhem)
>
>Today, the 11th of march, we had very good conditions here in the
>Netherlands on VHF/UHF due to a strong area of high pressure over western
>Europe.
>At 22.08 UTC I heard a very short English radiocheck on 31.75 MHZ.
>Does anybody knows which stations in the UK are using this frequency?
>Max van Arnhem
>mvarnhem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Max, according to the 'UK Scanning Directory' 31.75 MHz is allocated to
Hospital Paging Emergency Speech Return (paired with 161.0251 MHz), this is
a nationwide allocation and may have been what you heard. There are 3
channels allocated to this service:  (all NFM)

31.7250 - 161.0001 MHz
31.7500 - 161.0251 MHz
31.7750 - 161.0501 MHz

With the exception of these frequencies most other activity in this
frequency band is of a military nature. Most of the pager activity in this
area consists of short paging tones, followed by a short voice message.

The antenna system used for this service usually consists of a half wave
dipole mounted vertically on one of the walls of the hospital building. The
range is usually very limited so if this is what you heard you did well to
hear it.

best wishes, Alan   (alan.gale@xxxxxxxxx)