NEWS: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Report, July 10

NEWS: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Report, July 10

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM,
INTERNET, LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
  GLENN HAUSER'S SW/DX REPORT 97-05, JULY 10, 1997

NOTE: Items from this report may be reproduced and re-reproduced
ONLY if full attribution is maintained at all stages.

NICARAGUA. Radio Miskut still operates on 5770 and will continue.
Current power is adequate only for reliable local reception. Please
do not assume that time on SW 5770 is nearing an end! In actuality
a new SW xmtr is being readied and will be on line as soon as
transportation is available. It should provide the authorized power
of 500 watts. In June, operations began on 104 MHz FM with coverage
of the local area using the identical feed from the low power 5770
transmissions. MW operations will probably not be initiated currently.
With proposed SW antenna improvements, and new xmtr, it is expected
that SW reception will be greatly enhanced, and new program material
is contemplated including "The Atlantic Baseball Net" featuring live
sportscasts of games. Broadcasting operations run by indigenous
groups in Latin America are quite rare. Radio Miskut is one such and
has a dedicated regional audience. While money is very scarce,
ingenuity is not. The FM operations are currently going by the name
"Radio Bilwi". Bilwi is the indigenous name for the city of Puerto
Cabezas, Nicaragua. Later there may be some differences in program
material on the SW and FM frequencies. More later. (John C. Freeman,
Tech Systems, July 2 on WORLD OF RADIO 901) John has made assisting
Radio Miskut his personal mission. See his article a few months ago
in MONITORING TIMES. Before and after 1200 UT on July 9 and 10 I was
able to detect a very weak broadcast signal on 5770-USB, presumably
this (Glenn Hauser, Oklahoma)

NIGERIA [non]. Radio NADECO's monitors in Nigeria complain that they
cannot hear the broadcast at 0500-0515 M-F via WWCR 5070 because of
interference from VOA. This must be Sao Tome, 5970, at 0500 in English
toward Nigeria, via cheap-receiver image 900 or 910 kHz below, an
unfortunate coincidence. Until July 10, NADECO programs were jumbled
with news and analysis broadcast in wrong order, and no announcements
have been made nor posted on their website www.nadeco.org about the
bonus repeat WWCR has been giving them M-F at 1630-1645 on 15685, which
may very well provide better reception. Of course, W.O.R. listeners
already knew about that last week (Glenn Hauser, OK, and W.O.R. 901)

UNIDENTIFIED. Thanks to three former colleagues in Florida who have
checked out my unID on 7544v. David Crawford had it July 4 at 1330 on
7543.8 LSB plus carrier, charasmatic-style service in Spanish. Terry
Krueger listened July 5 on 7543.6 at 0229-0249, clear and weak with
sermon; sounded very low power, very far away or both. Robert Wilkner
had it at 2330 on 7544.06 July 5, and at 1023 past 1050 on 7543.42v.
I still detect it most mornings around 1230-1300, but my patience is
running short with a station barely audible which will not identify
itself. Monitoring in various parts of Latin America might give us a
clue to location based on strength, and direction-finding would also
be a big help (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 901)

WORLD OF RADIO 901 includes the above stories, but if you do not monitor
it you are missing a lot more, such as: Radio Australia's revamped
frequencies and programming; Radio Thailand about to add languages and
change schedule--we've planted the idea with them of using VOA sites
in USA; Radio Budapest on new frequency, a relay?; Dominican Republic
news station in Internet, plans SW; CBC moving major AM stations in
Quebec to FM. And much, much, more. See item-by-item summary on our
website http://idt.net/~khecht19/ghauser, or in RFPI Weekly Update.
Check our new outlet WGTG, 5085, UT Tuesdays at 0400v, and our revived
airtime on WWCR, UT Sat 0530 on 5070, altho Sat 1300 on 15685 was gone
again last week (Glenn Hauser, Oklahoma)                         ###

Get Private Web-Based Email Free http://www.hotmail.com