OFF-TOPIC: Way off topic I'm afraid

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, OFF-TOPIC, PIRATE, POLITICS, PUBLICATION,
SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION. For more information, please check
http://www.iki.fi/rko/hard-core-dx/ or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

I support Risto's decision, there is always a need for exchanging views or
news that are sort of spin-offs from the original topic.  It is up to
ourselves not to indulge in long off-topic threads that eventually will
dominate HCDX.  One way to limit the number of such postings is of course
to ask oneself:  Will the others want to read this?

I hope you will!
Bjarne

----------
> From: OFF-TOPIC/ADMIN: Hans van den Boogert <hansfong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Way off topic I'm afraid
> Date: 10. september 1997 16:59

> Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
> LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, OFF-TOPIC, PIRATE, POLITICS, PUBLICATION,
> SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION. For more information, please check
> http://www.iki.fi/rko/hard-core-dx/ or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I provoked quite a number of reactions with my remark about the CD Buena
> Vista Social Club. It was way off topic, but then again for me music and
> radio go hand in hand and more than often I have been able to gather
> program details by recognizing local tunes heard from CDs or world music
> radio programs.
>
> I hope Risto will allow these kind of "tid-bits not quite related to
DXing"
> to be put on HCDX in the future too. I live a quite solitary life here in
> Taiwan and for me contacts like the ones on HCDX are very important to
me,
> because that's where my friends are.
>
> To give you an idea about life here: they kicked all foreign stations
(CNN,
> MTV, NBC, CBS, Star) off the cable, except HBO; Time magazine is always a
> week late; you can get every CD or magazine in the shop, but the problem
is
> you can never find it when you want it; my nearest friend lives one hour
> away by scooter, two by car (hellish traffic here), etc. I rely on the
BBC,
> RNW and VoA plus the Internet for my news and DXing for my relaxation.
I'm
> not complaining, just saying how much I appreciate HCDX and to be able to
> share something with you all
>
> Hans van den Boogert - Taiwan
>
> ---
>
> My comments:
>
> This is a difficult question. I have always wanted to keep signal to
noise
> ratio on the list high. Ie. to keep it as informative and high level as
> possible. I admit that sometimes I have had trouble to decide is the
email
> really worth passing to the list because it hasn't been tightly related
> to Hard-Core-DX topics.
>
> DXing is not only radio though. Many DXers are interested in cultures of
> foreign countries, music, solar activity etc. Someone could say about
> solar activity related postings that those are not radio related topics.
> But they are... aren't they because solar activity reflects to conditions
> on bands? But so is cultures, politics and music of foreign countries...
those