[HCDX]: Glenn Hauser/s Shortwave/DX Report Oct 30

       GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 97-19, Oct 30, 1997

WORLD OF RADIO TIME CHANGE ON WWCR. The Sunday 1000 on 3210 has
been replaced by Sunday 0730 on 5070, from next week or perhaps
already this week (Hauser)

WORLD OF RADIO ON WORLD RADIO NETWORK--correction. Last week one
of the Astra times was wrong; Sunday at 1130, not 1230 UT (Hauser)

CANADA. RCI has made a late change to the W97 schedule during the
0300-0400 hour UT Tue-Sat; instead of CBC's This Morning Tonight,
the Canadian Forces program has resumed, first half English, last
half French, on 6155, 9755, 9780  (Bill Westenhaver, RCI, WORLD
OF RADIO 916)

GREECE [non]. One of the worst clashes starting W97 is on 9580 at
1200-1350, where Voice of Greece relay via Greenville or Delano
has moved from 9590 due to BBC via WYFR usual move from 11865 to
9590 for winter, always at 1300-1600; whilst R. Australia at the
same time extended 9580 to 1400 from 1300, although a few weeks
ago it was in fact closing at 1200. RA sometimes overrides VOG
here, but something has to give (Glenn Hauser, OK, RIB and WORLD
OF RADIO 916)

IRELAND [non]. West Coast Radio Ireland is desperately looking
for letters of support from listeners in any part of the world,
as a station delegation is meeting soon with a member of the
Irish government. The delegation wants to have a substantial
folder of letters to help in a bid to get State support for the
station. "WCRI, Claremorris, Mayo, Ireland" will find them by
airmail; or "wcri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" by E-mail. The NAm broadcast
has shifted to 5905 UT Thu at 0100-0200 via Germany (Finbarr
O'Driscoll, Ireland, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

NEW ZEALAND. RNZI did not carry BBC Newsdesk on Monday Oct 27;
when I checked 9700 at 1125, RNZI was playing music. Then I
checked BBC On Air for November, and saw RNZI relay daily at 1100
is no longer listed, and NZ has been eliminated from list of
relay sites in frequency charts (as have Korea and Nepal). But
on Tue Oct 28 Newsdesk was back on RNZI. Perhaps they are stopping
it from November, or contract was late in renewing (Glenn Hauser,
OK)

SWITZERLAND. SRI has expanded English from 30 to 60 minutes, at
1100, 1300 and 1400, and the existing hour at 0400 has been
expanded to all three frequencies, 9905, 9885 and 6135 instead
of just 9905; but there is also a 15-minute English now at 1600
(Glenn Hauser, OK, RIB and WORLD OF RADIO 916)

U K O G B A N I. Someone at BBC must have trouble reading the
calendar. I taped the AE stream Wed Oct 29 at 0815-0900 on FM for
Concert Hall as scheduled, but instead they played Way to the
West, introducing the soap opera starting at "the same time next
week" [NOT], and Everywoman, both of which were supposed to be
on Tuesday at this time, both in Oct and Nov schedules. There
was no explanation or apology in continuity announcements. I
wonder if Concert Hall had been played by mistake on Tuesday, so
this was in compensation? It seemed as if they were blithely
unaware there were broadcasting the wrong programming (Glenn
Hauser, OK, RIB and WORLD OF RADIO 916)

U S A. The 500 kW SW station in Maine previously known as WCSN
and WVHA has finally been sold. The buyer is LeSea Broadcasting,
owner of WHRI and KWHR. Price was only $1.5 million, and this may
drive down the price for other SW stations on sale, such as WRMI
asking $650K. Due to regulatory red tape, the Maine station is
not expected back on the air until December (George Thurman, TX
and WORLD OF RADIO 916)

U S A [non]. The Brother Stair relay via DTK Germany for W97,
schedule previously given, does not start until Nov 1, as B.S.
has announced on his program, heard by Jim Moats. A satellite
link from Walterboro to Juelich is being set up. At 0200-0400,
DTK schedule shows both B.S. and Croatian Radio on 5840; I am
already hearing the latter //6120 (Glenn Hauser, OK, Oct 30 and
WORLD OF RADIO 916)                                     ###