Re: [HCDX]: Trans-Atlantic MW logs

Hi J.D.  I have the same problem .. Ben Dangerfield in PA has the same equip-
ment that I do, but he seems to hear it all, when I hear nothing.  My biggest
problem is living right in the city, in the main lobe of all my locals.
I usually work USB to pick up splits, unless its one or two kHz down from the
domestic, in which case I use LSB.  For example I got Talk Radio UK on 1089
on LSB, while all my other logs 1215, 1521, 684, 1134, 1125 were on USB.  I
will also cruise around in CW mode to pick up hets.  Sometimes I have even foubnd better reception in RTTY mode, but I can't explain why.  I use the notch control all fo the time.  I generally use the 2.3 filter, but will shift to 4.0 if
the signal is strong enough.  1.8 just doesn't leave enough sharpness in the
audio.

The station that crashes in here most frequently is Croatia 1134.  I get this
when there is often nothing else at all.  Others do well with 1521 Saudi
Arabia (before 2300 or after 0300 s/on).  When conditions are especially
non-auroral the Norway 1314 is a good bet.  You might also have a chance at
your southern location to pick up that Clandestine 1544 in the late afternoon.
My other regular is Spain on 684, although they also do well on 585, 774, and
855.

Oh yes, to get a TA signal means that I am constantly tweaking all of the
controls, and re-aiming the loop and retuning the loop as well.

By the way, when I used it in Newfoundland a year ago, the R8 was fantastic
on TA DX, so it's really a matter of location.  Hope this helps.  Jim