[HCDX]: Radio Propagation Network for Radio Communicators

[HCDX]: Radio Propagation Network for Radio Communicators

We would like to announce the availability of a new radio propagation service.
The service is known as CAROS, or the Coordinated Amateur Radio Observation
System.

CAROS is based on the principle of amateurs contributing radio propagation
information for others to use.

We have, for several years, been planning to implement such a service
primarily
to test whether amateurs can supply sufficient information to make such a
global service useful.  Its success or failure will be directly dependent
upon those who use it and find it useful.  Your cooperation is solicited.

We believe amateur radio operators and listeners can supply a considerable
amount of information regarding the state of the Earth's ionosphere by
contributing to this service.

A small sample of the types of information we are interested in includes:

1. Propagation reports telling others of NORMAL propagation conditions on
paths
   that you are familiar with.  If, for instance, you communicate between your
   location and London, England and notice today that propagation is normal,
   a report submitted to us using:
http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/subcaros.html
   (or the link provided on our CAROS homepage) would be valuable.

2. Propagation reports indicating BELOW-NORMAL propagation conditions on
   paths you are familiar with.  Other radio communicators may appreciate
   knowing that propagation on specific paths is not normal.

3. Propagation reports indicating ABOVE-NORMAL propagation conditions on paths
   you use are also very valuable.  Above-normal propagation includes
receiving
   signals that normally aren't there, or band openings on frequencies that
   normally aren't open.  These can be exceptionally valuable to others.

4. Unusual propagation (non-great-circle, aurora-related, meteor-induced, etc)
   that you observe.  We hope people will make an effort to report unusual
   propagation conditions.  It will give others a chance to confirm what you
   have observed and even enjoy unusual propagation conditions that they might
   not have otherwise known about.

5. Rare contacts should also be reported.  If, for example, you are able to
   establish contact with someone on a remote island that perhaps is normally
   not there or simply has never been found before, please take the time to
   report it, so others can look for the same opportunity to make a rare
   contact.

Any other form of radio propagation related information that you feel would be
of value to others (which includes just about anything).

There are no limitations.  We will accept reports from anyone, at any time,
and
on any frequency (from ELF to microwave and beyond).  Moon-bounce
communicators
are welcome to join in the fun, as are satellite communicators and anyone
else.

All reports are archived.  Please remember to be as specific as you can in
your
propagation report submissions.  Since there is a possibility that this
service
could generate data that might supplement types of future scientific
research,
we hope all submissions will be detailed and complete.

The main CAROS web page is: http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/caros.html
It is updated every 5 minutes.  For those who are using web browsers
capable of
automatic screen updating, your web-browser should automatically fetch the
latest information every 5 minutes.  All others will need to manually click on
the "Reload" button to refresh their information.

The main CAROS submission form for providing propagation reports is:
http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/subcaros.html

For all of those who contribute to and support this service, we would like to
express our gratitude.

Any questions or problems regarding this service should be directed to
COler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**  End of Bulletin  **