[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME ELEVEN - NUMBER FIVE

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME ELEVEN - NUMBER FIVE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER. NEW ZEALAND.-------

EDITOR: Graham J Barclay.
Phone: 0064-6-835-9106.
Fax:     0064-6-835-9186.
Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
WWW site 1: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
WWW site 2: http://www.lls.se/jal/fr/kiwi.html

This page is sponsored by: SRS-News - Sweden.
	           http://www.lls.se/jal/links.html
and                 http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html

			VOLUME ELEVEN - NUMBER FIVE

November 30th 1997

Hello Again Radio friends.
Another bumper issue this week - Enjoy.

			*************************
AN OPOLOGY TO Denis Starks:

We here at "The Kiwi Radio Weekly" wish to sincerely opologise
to Denis Starks for failing to include his name in the Credits for
our 8 part series on Japanese Radio that we are currently posting
each week in "The Kiwi Radio Weekly".
We have already posted two of the eight parts, and will include
Denis's name etc in the credits in the remaining six parts.
We opologise for any inconvenience or loss caused by this
omission.	"SORRY DENIS"
			***********************

RADIO DR.TIM FROM GERMANY IS BACK IN THE 48 METER BAND WITH OWN
EQUIPMENT!!!

This sunday we have heard the "free-radio-doctor" exactly 1 year after
the raid last year. Dr.Tim announced in the comeback-show a low power
this morning-nearly 8 watts only!!!
We heard Dr Tim with thanks to many stations and listeners for the
phone-reports!
Dr.Tim was on the air with a salvemade-tx and a in-vert.V antenne 2 x
11,50 meters and 8 meters ab.the ground.
A good signal in many European countrys.
Ann.the "pirate-doctor"!
( via Werner Schauermann )
			************************

PIRATE CONTEST -  1997/98
----------------------

FREE RADIO INFO in cooperation with RADIO BUBENFUNK
proudly announces its Pirate Radio Contest for 1997/98 :

This contest is held from December 20, 1997 00:00 UTC
until January 4, 1998 at 2400 UTC.

The aim of this contest is of course undoubtly to hear as
much of those Pirate Radio Stations as possible in the above
given time and data range.

The allowed and desired frequency range is 3900-7500 kHz.

The contest fee is announced as 10 DEM.

Pleae note, that we don't count QSO-stations at all !

The final dateline for your submissions to this contest
is January 10, 1997. The date of the postmark counts.

Every participant get a certificate and takes part in a
tombola of gifts, in the same way we'll give a few cups
away!
Participants in this contest can forward their reports
free of charge via the QSL-bureau of FREE RADIO INFO.
But please remember to include enough return postage
for the FR-stations.

There are no contest-forms to fill in for the contest,
everyone has to design and use its own list. But the list
has to include the followings columns :

Stationname
Date
Time of Transmission (UTC)
Frequency of transmission
Reception quality in SINPO code
Details of reception (at least 15 min)

Every logged FR-station counts 10 points, 50 extra bonus
can be achieved by hearing a transmission of FREE RADIO
INFO and/or RADIO BUBENFUNK.

More Informations can be obtained from FREE RADIO INFO
or RADIO BUBENFUNK (mail addresses given above)

Of course you can even use the FREE RADIO INFO hotline
that is open every day from 1900-2100 UTC, on sundays
even longer, from 0900-2100 UTC.

Telephone / Fax : ++49-203-494498 (ev. answering machine)

We wish all the participants in the contest a lot of fun
with their work, a splendid reception and good luck at all!

FREE RADIO INFO                        RADIO BUBENFUNK
E-mail questions should be sent to schoech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Schoech                schoech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post-Box 1136                 www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2594/
06201 Merseburg
Deutschland
			***********************

Better Times for Reports to Dutchies on MW now :

Two forwarding services are aviable now -
DMWPS by Patrick Willför and DPRS by Derek Taylor

DMWPS -
Dutch Mediumwave Pirate Service by Patrik Willfor, Langviks-
gatan 24 B13, FI-65100 Vasa, Finland - awillfor@xxxxxxxxxxxx

MWnews is a copyright publication of the Dutch Mediumwave
Pirate Service, sent free under 1997 to whoever does want it.
If you want to publicate some information from this magazine,
please write and tell me first.
MWnews is a e-mail only magazine, and the stopdate before each
issue is Sunday evening at 24.00 UTC (this is because e-mails
are sometimes delayed somewhere). This magazine is sent out on
Mondays at about 17.00 UTC.

The Dutch Mediumwave Pirate Service also produces an active
stations list once each month, and it's always ready under the
first week in a month. The price for this list is 2 IRC's, $2
or 3DM.

DPRS-
Dutch Pirate Radio Service by Derek Taylor, 12 Dorman Road,
PR2 6AS Preston, England

Some more information received here from Derek Taylor after
last weeks short message about DPRS coming back (Message was:
D.P.R.S is fully operationable again ! Reports, veries, mem-
bership and lists !):

"Yes, everything is back to normal with DPRS." Derek tells
us this week. We all hope so, I think !

The DPRS membership offer !
The Dutch Pirate Radio Service is expanding and you now have
the chance to join Europe's most efficient reception report
forwarding service. After paying just 15 British Pounds your
letters and reports will be sent directly to Dutch MW Free
Radio stations for no charge and if you are unable to write
in the Dutch language, a covering letter will also be inclu-
ded. Why not take advantage of this superb offer? To receive
your Membership number, send today to
DPRS, 12 Dorman Road, Preston, England, PR2 6AS.

Derek also advices us to the following MW-frequencies :
Listen : Friday afternoon around 1470 kHz - lots of Dutchies !
(also around 1470 all day !)
Saturday and Sunday  : around 1470-1570-1580-1590
So there is still something aside from the old 186 and the
nowadays usual 183 m band, even if we most times don't hear it!

via
Martin Schoech                schoech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post-Box 1136                 www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2594/
06201 Merseburg
Germany
			************************

NEW HOME FOR ILGRadio:

ILGRadio has a NEW HOME in the internet since November 11th 1997.

                   http://www.ilgradio.iok.de/

These information and links are is available here:
- International Broadcasting Web Directory with approx. 6000 links
to         	  radio stations (this directory will be widely revised and
updated within     	  the next weeks)
- Links to all DX-Clubs of the World
- Links to Antenna and Receiver Manufactures
- Links to interesting web pages for DXers (just in preparation)
- Links to the Internet Radio, HF Radio Propagation and ILGRadio
Monitoring Support
- FREE Download of the September ILGRadio Software/Database
(DOS/WIN/MAC)
- ILGRadio Info Pages (General Infos, Software Usage/Functions, Data
  Structure/Extracts)
- The current Winter 1997/98 Frequency List in the HTML Format
  (incl.Site,Power,Country)
- Links to the main Anti-Virus Software and Packer Producers
- Links to Antenna and Receiver Dealers (still in construction)
- Link to the Download  Page of the full version of ILGRadio
(DOS/WIN/MAC)  (Non-Profit !)
- Link to the NEW Great Circle Map CD of 1546 Short Wave
Broadcasting Sites (Non-Profit !)

Many problems with the downloads, uploads and mirroring caused this move
away from NEXUS who are now heavily crying about me and tries to knock
me from the back with untrue things.

ILGRadio is no NON-PROFIT venture. ILGRadio´s task is to help Short Wave
Listeners .

Hoping that you enjoy ILGRadio web pages, I remain with the best wishes,

Bernd Friedewald

ILGRadio Software
Bernd Friedewald
P.O. Box  11 12
D - 34567  Homberg
GERMANY

Telefax: +49 (5681) 930 361
E-Mail: ilgradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
			***********************
CAROS RADIO PROPAGATION SERVICE:

We would like to announce the availability of a new radio propagation
service.
The service is known as CAROS, or the Coordinated Amateur Radio
Observation System.

CAROS is based on the principle of amateurs contributing radio
propagation information for others to use.

We have, for several years, been planning to implement such a service
primarily to test whether amateurs can supply sufficient information to
make such a global service useful.  Its success or failure will be
directly dependent upon those who use it and find it useful.  Your
cooperation is solicited.

We believe amateur radio operators and listeners can supply a
considerable amount of information regarding the state of the Earth's
ionosphere by contributing to this service.

A small sample of the types of information we are interested in
includes:

1. Propagation reports telling others of NORMAL propagation conditions
on paths that you are familiar with.  If, for instance, you communicate
between your location and London, England and notice today that
propagation is normal, a report submitted to us using:
http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/subcaros.html
(or the link provided on our CAROS homepage) would be valuable.

2. Propagation reports indicating BELOW-NORMAL propagation conditions on
paths you are familiar with.  Other radio communicators may appreciate
knowing that propagation on specific paths is not normal.

3. Propagation reports indicating ABOVE-NORMAL propagation conditions on
paths you use are also very valuable.  Above-normal propagation includes
receiving signals that normally aren't there, or band openings on
frequencies that normally aren't open.  These can be exceptionally
valuable to others.

4. Unusual propagation (non-great-circle, aurora-related,
meteor-induced, etc) that you observe.  We hope people will make an
effort to report unusual propagation conditions.  It will give others a
chance to confirm what you have observed and even enjoy unusual
propagation conditions that they might not have otherwise known about.

5. Rare contacts should also be reported.  If, for example, you are able
establish contact with someone on a remote island that perhaps is
normally not there or simply has never been found before, please take
the time to report it, so others can look for the same opportunity to
make a rare contact.

Any other form of radio propagation related information that you feel
would be of value to others (which includes just about anything).

There are no limitations.  We will accept reports from anyone, at any
time, and on any frequency (from ELF to microwave and beyond).
Moon-bounce communicators are welcome to join in the fun, as are
satellite communicators and anyone else.

All reports are archived.  Please remember to be as specific as you can
in
your propagation report submissions.  Since there is a possibility that
this
service could generate data that might supplement types of future
scientific research,  we hope all submissions will be detailed and
complete.

The main CAROS web page is: http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/caros.html
It is updated every 5 minutes.  For those who are using web browsers
capable of automatic screen updating, your web-browser should
automatically fetch the latest information every 5 minutes.  All others
will need to manually click on the "Reload" button to refresh their
information.

The main CAROS submission form for providing propagation reports is:
http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/www/subcaros.html

For all of those who contribute to and support this service, we would
like to express our gratitude.

Any questions or problems regarding this service should be directed to:
COler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

( via Fabrizio Magrone / HCDX )
			********************
MICRO-BROADCASTING ( USA ) Latest updates:

Bay Area micropower broadcasters are calling a press conference and Free
Speech support demonstration to protest the FCC raids in Tampa, Florida
and earlier actions against other micropower broadcasters accross the
country. It will take place on Tuesday, November 25 at 5 PM in front of
the Oakland Federal Building - see press release. Other micropower
broadcasters and their supporters are urged to do the same at their
nearest Federal Building or close fascimile there of on the same day.

Stephen Dunifer
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

FREE RADIO BERKELEY
1442A Walnut St., #406
Berkeley, CA 94709

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 20

FCC RESPONDS TO MICROPOWER BROADCASTING
COURT VICTORY
WITH A SWAT TEAM

One week after Federal Judge Claudia Wilken refused to grant the FCC a
permanent injunction to shut down Free Radio Berkeley and ordered the
FCC to respond to specific Constitutional questions, the response came
not in the form of legal brief as requested but in the form of a SWAT
team busting down the door of Tampa, Florida micropower broadcaster Doug
Brewer. At 6 a.m. Wednesday, November 19 Doug Brewer and his wife were
visited in their home by a 20 person Multi-Jurisdictional Task Force
(comprised of Federal Marshals, a SWAT team, local police, Customs, and
a self-identified CIA agent) led by the FCC. With automatic weapons
trained on them they were ordered to the floor where they were
handcuffed face down with gun muzzles at their head. For the next 12
hours they were detained in their own home, not even allowed to go to
the bathroom alone, while agents stripped their home of anything
remotely related to radio transmission equipment. Police cordoned off
the block around their home, the site of the micropower broadcasting
station, and brought in a crane to dismantle his broadcasting tower.

At the same time other members of the same task force were busy shutting
down two more micropower broadcasting stations in the Tampa area. One
man, Loni Kobres, was taken to jail and not released until he signed
papers agreeing not to take any action to recover equipment which had
been seized. Radio X had its equipment seized as well with one of its
members spending a brief time in jail.

Commenting on this latest development, Stephen Dunifer of Free Radio
Berkeley, said: "This certainly shows that the FCC has nothing but
contempt for due process and the Bill of Rights. It is clear that the
FCC
is carrying out its marching orders given to it earlier this year by the
National Association of Broadcasters who have begun a search and destroy
campaign against micropower broadcasting. "

Speaking for SF Liberation Radio, Richard Edmondson stated: " The raid
against Doug Brewer and other microbroadcasters in Florida, coming as it
has just a week after the Federal Court ruling in California, is a
display
of lawless thuggery which demonstrates to me more clearly than ever that
the US Government does not care about its own courts, its own laws, or
its own Constitution."

micropower broadcasters will be holding a press conference and Free
Speech support demonstration at the Oakland Federal Building on Tuesday,
November 25 at 5 PM.

Background material on the legal case and micropower broadcasting is
available on the following WEB sites: www.368hayes.com,
www.freeradio.org, www.radio4all.org.
( via Paul W Griffin )

:UPDATE:
 We had a pretty good demo today (45 people) but
the weather was cold and wet.  We have heard that one of the raided
stations (party pirate) has returned to the air and will not be shut
down!  Also, we had one person picketing the FCC in Cerritos california
and he had  6 cops watching him!  Woo Hoo!  -Paul
( via Paul W Griffin  26/11/97)
			***********************
DX Radio Show Information

AWR Wavescan presented by Gordon Bennett on 30/11/97 will feature the
DX-pedition to Sheigra organised by the Medium Wave Circle. The
following programme (28/12/97) will feature the Medium Wave Circle.

Tune in at 0700UTC on 9435kHz; 0930 UTC on 9450kHz and 2200 UTC on
6055kHz

( via Steve Whitt )
			********************
Basic Collection of Japanese Radios, Part 3

WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE SETS?

A few years ago this would have been an easy question to answer.

At Radio swap meets. In the last ten or more years this
question has gotten harder to answer.
In 1989, we began the 50th Anniversary of WW II and
there was asudden revival of interest in items of WW II.
Old radios came out of attics , closets and basements
In 1988, we had a surplus electronic store that made a living
selling parts striped from surplus radios and took stuff in on
consignment.  One day the owner called me and said he had two
Japanese radios, was I interested.
To make a long story short, I got these two radios for $100.00
each, which at the time, I thought was a bit high but I wanted
them. What I got was a Type 94-5 receiver with the leather flaps
cut off and a Type 3 receiver missing the front cover, a fact I was
ignorant of at the time.
Since then, I have gotten Japanese radios from a variety of
sources. I will list the more lucrative sources.
The local ferret.  He went to every estate sale, yard sale
and HAM Swap meet he heard about.  His ability to ferret out
radios of all types was amazing.  He didnt know what they were
 but if they were Japanese he got them and thus I got them.
His main interest was pre 1925 battery powered sets.
I also kept my eyes open for them but never found
anything he wanted.
The local Japanese Militaria dealer.  This man is
retired and currently runs a business of importing Japanese
artifacts.  He has a large following and publishes a news letter
for Japanese collectors.  He sets up at militaria shows and gun shows.
He has material coming in from all over and
I usually get first crack at a new item.
Radio related surplus stores.  Sometimes these places
take things in on consignment,  Get to know them, let them know
your interests and when a Japanese whatever comes in, they will
call you.  Usually, they advise the owner on the value of the set
from the perspective of a radio.  Usually low as they do not know
the collector value, however, you can not count on that.
Some people find a Japanese or German radio in their attic and
think they have their fortune made, Taint So!
Japanese Militaria collectors.  Many of these people
specialize in some aspect of Japanese militaria such as hats or
swords or daggers.  In the process they pick odd pieces and will
usually part with them for a reasonable price.  Find out who
these people are, get to know them and also stay on the look out
for what they are interested in.
Other radio collectors.  Finding these people is not
always the easiest task unless you are a HAM radio operator.
The older HAMs are the ones who brought back these radios
from their days in WW II.  As time passed, they became more
successful and had more money, they got better and newer radios
and the Japanese radios went to the closet, the attic, etc.
The main means for communication, other than radio, were
the HAM trader yellow sheets. In more recent times, magazines
like the Old Timers Bulletin of the AWA, Electric Radio, and
others have carried ads for Japanese radios , both for sale and
for trade as well as wanted.  Once you have established a
network of radio collectors, they watch for things you are
interested in and you may get lucky.
HAMFESTs and Swap meets, which are always a
good place to find radios and radio related items is still a
good place to go. I have noticed in recent years that most of the
exotic German and Japanese sets are sold long before they get
to the show but again you might get lucky.
Flea Markets and gunshows.  You never know what
will show up at a flea market,  You have to check them out and
keep going back, week after week.
Take cash as these people never heard of credit cards and won't
take cheques. Gun shows are much the same. In the 30 plus
years I have been going to gunshows, I have never seen very
much radio equipment. You can find keys, headphones, coils
and other miscellaneous items.  It is rare for someone to have
radios at a gun show.  The militaria shows are a better choice
and then most people do not know very much about Japanese
radios so they are usually cheaper.
Manions Auction  Some years back this outfit started
taking in items for auction.  They have a subscription service.
You pay about $35.00 a year and you are able to bid on items
in each auction. They have about 5 or 6 auctions per year.
They publish a catalogue and some times have excellent
photos of the items shown. Their ability to determine what an
item is and accuratly describe it is sometimes questionable.
An experimental Japanese walkie talkie was advertised as a
telephone.  Some times it is just cord and plug with Japanese
markings. Whatever the item is worth and or sold for, they add
on a percent comission which the buyer pays as well as tax
and shipping. The $75 dollar bargain quickly becomes a
$100+ item.
Increasingly the Internet and Radio Collectors groups
are proving to be a good source for these items. I recently got
two Japanese radios from a collector in Colorado who told me
about a supply of Japanese crystals in a local surplus store.
Through his efforts, I got the crystals.  I would never have known
about him or the crystals were it not for a radio collecting group of
 which I am a member. In the same way, I was able to
help a collector in Maryland get field telephones and a
switchboard from a local shop that he would never have know
about.
You can also consider a small picture ad in the local
newspaper or if you spend your vacation in one area, consider
taking out an ad in the local paper. Make it big enough for people
to see.  Best to include a line drawing of a Japanese radio,
some people who have these items do not even know what it is.
They may see the drawing and think, I've got something like
that in the basement.
In summary, there are many places where these radios and
accessories are to be found.  It is advisable to have some of the
references I mentioned in Part 2 when you  get there.

In the next part, I will discuss a basic Type Japanese radio station and
then some specific sets.

( Via William Howard
/ Dennis Starks ; Military Radio Collector/Historian
military-radio-guy@xxxxxxxx         )
			**************************
WRMI.

WRMI Broadcast Schedule effective Dec. 1, 1997

Mon-Fri/Lun-Vie 1045-1100 UTC   English
Monday-Friday   1100-1430       Spanish
Monday-Friday   1430-1445       English
Monday-Friday   2245-2300       English
Monday-Friday   2300-0000       Spanish
Tues-Sat/Mar-Sab        0000-0300       English/Spanish
Tuesday-Saturday        0300-0400       Spanish
Tuesday-Saturday        0400-0530       English
Saturday/Sabado 1100-1500       Spanish
Saturday                2000-2200       Spanish
Saturday                2200-0030       English
Sunday/Domingo  0030-0415       Spanish
Sunday          0415-0530       English
Sunday          1200-1300       Spanish
Sunday          1300-1500       English
Sunday          1500-1715       Spanish
Sunday          1715-1930       English
Sunday          2100-2130       English
Sunday          2130-2230       Portuguese
Sunday          2230-0000       Spanish
Monday/Lunes    0000-0030       German
Monday          0030-0115       Spanish
Monday          0115-0300       English
Monday          0300-0430       Spanish

All days are UTC.  All broadcasts on 9955 kHz with 50 kilowatts beaming
primarily to the Caribbean and Latin America.  We will send you a
schedule with specific program names and times during the coming days.

wrmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
			**************************
FOR SALE:

The third edition of the Australasian Shortwave Guide, covering the
Winter Tranmsmission season (W97), will be ready for mailing on 8
December.

This is the  authoritative, accurate and unique shortwave guide to
broadcasts in English and other languages targeted to Australia and New
Zealand, and English transmisisons beamed to South Asia, the Far East,
and the Indian sub-continent. Over 600 entries with frequencies,
transmission times and days, languages, target areas, relay transmitter
sites and other
information. The data is presented in dual format: by country and UTC
time.

Supplementary articles include:

- A  comprehensive listing of E-mail laddresses for international
broadcasters
- DXing Mongolia

The Guide is produced and distributed by "Padula Books", and is compiled
with the extensive support of broadcasting stations, transmission
planners, frequency coordinators, technical consultants,  engineering
directorates and a network of worldwide expert monitors.

Author is Bob Padula, OAM, who has many decades of experience at both
the hobby and professional levels in international  broadcast
engineering.

The Guide is indispensible for international broadcast monitoring, and
is 28 pages, A4 format, professionally printed and bound.

Price:

- To Australian addresses - A$10
- Elsewhere - A$20 (US$15)

Orders with payment should be sent to:

Bob Padula.
404 Mont Albert Road,
Surrey Hills,
Victoria 3127,
Australia.
E-Mail: bpadula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel/FAX: +61 3 9898 2906

Payment from Australia:  cash, personal cheque, bank cheque, building
society cheque, credit union cheque.

>From outside of Australia: cash (Australian or US dollars),
international money order, bank draft (payable at an Australian bank in
Australian dollars). Cheques drawn on banks outside of Australia will
NOT be accepted.

Readers in New Zealand may purchase from Burnet-Pollard Books,.PO Box
149, Otaki 6471, New Zealand.
E-mail: Burnet_Pollard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Only one print run is being made for the Guide, and early ordering is
essential to avoid disappointment!

Thanks for your support!!

Bob Padula
Thats it for this week