Re: [HCDX]: modification of the Lowe HF 150

Hans de Zeeuw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are there any people with a Lowe HF 150 who can tell me about the
> modifications of this receiver?
> I'm thinking of filters, illumination of the display, s-meter and
> other improvements???
> Looking forward  to your responses, suggestions, tips ore url's with
> info about modufications the HF 150.
>
> Thanks a lot and good DX.
>
> Hans de Zeeuw,  Amsterdam - the Netherlands.

Hans,

I own a HF-150. I simply love it. I'll try to answer
a few of your questions. Kiwa makes improved filters
for this radio. The information is provided below:

Filter Kit
The stock wideband filter bandwidth typically measures 7 kHz.
This is often too wide for shortwave listening. Kiwa offers a
pin per pin replacement filter of 5.8 to 6.2 kHz called the
LFH-4S. Installation instructions are included - soldering is
required. HF-150/LFH4S filter $15.00 (includes shipping in
North America) Shipping and Handling outside North America $3.00

Kiwa Upgrades
The following is available by sending the receiver to Kiwa
Electronics. LFH4S filter installation $40.00

Audio and Switching Diode Upgrade
This is a two-part upgrade. The first part involves replacing
all the audio coupling capacitors that limit the audio performance
with types that will improve the audio clarity. The end result is
better definition of consonants that improves intelligibility. The
second part involves replacing the silicon switching diodes for the
WB/NB filter selection with a Shottky type. We also replace the
inductors within the the filter switch with ferrite shielded types.
This improves the isolation between the selected filters. Audio and
Switching Diode Upgrade $60.00

Mini Filter Switch Board
The Mini Filter Switch Board provides two bandwidths to be assigned
to the AM wide bandwidth. Selection of the filters is by a miniature
toggle switch which is mounted on the rear panel. This upgrade is not
available as a kit (with instructions) because it involves rather
difficult
drilling of the main pc board and rear panel and requires special
mounting
hardware. The switch comes with a 3.8 kHz and 6 kHz filter (similar in
appearance to the stock wide filter). The switch uses high isolation
reed relays to switch the filter outputs. The switch board also provides
an extra bandwidth when in the ASF (AM Synchronous Hi-Fi mode).
Mini Filter Switch Board $55.00 Installation $50.00
Total $105.00

There is also a kit that is available from EEB that does the
backlighting.
Unfortuantely, EEB may going out of business, if the rumor is true.
As for the S-meter, if you purchase the AP-150, the S-meter is included
but involves a modification to the radio, a simple procedure from what
I understand. I think it involves making a cut on the main board and
placing a resistor in series to the S-meter.

I have owned this radio for several years now and will never part with
it. Its size and performance are 2nd to none. The newer HF-150 Europa
is due out soon, you may want to wait for that one and upgrade, still
no S-meter however, but the LCD is backlighted.

Hopes this helps you.
Best DX!
Gary
NJ-USA