Re: [HCDX]: modification of the Lowe HF 150

On Wed, 10 Dec 97 18:51:28 -0000, Christoph Ratzer <ratzer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Can you tell us more about ERGO ??

Sure ! As stated in my previous reply, it works for the AOR AR7030 and 7030
plus, two Japan Radio Company NRD535 versions, two Drake R8 versions and the WH
HF1000.

Currently, Ergo is my favorite receiver control software, especially because of
it's simplicity and thoughtful design.

My AOR AR7030 is rather picky when it comes to control software. But Ergo is
running very smoothly, and unlike some of the other packages that I've tried,
this is a program that does not require many hours of study to get the best out
of it. It is intuitive and I think it really looks great.
If you are keen on an impressive amount of on-screen knobs, sliders and buttons,
go look for something else. If you would like to have all the tuning and
operation controls on a few simple, non-confusing but tastefully designed
screens, then Ergo might just be what you are looking for.

Ergo is produced by radio amateur John Fallows from Calgary, Canada (VE6MBA).
I found that he has a very open mind for suggestions. For example, on my request
he included time warning signals at 1 minute before the hour and half-hour, a
sort of station ID alert, so to say. This is next to several other time signals
(00.15, 00.30, 00.45, 00.00, and WWV-times) that were already included.
Of course, these different time warnings can be turned on and off, as you wish.

Also, I have suggested an option to transfer the PC-time to the receiver. That
function is now incorporated this in the latest beta-version.
So, with the help of the freeware program AtomTime, I can synchronize my PC-time
via the internet with the atomic clock at Boulder, Colorado. And with Ergo, I
tranfer that to my 7030. It's a simple and easy procedure and I do this almost
daily.

I believe the new Ergo 3 will be released shortly and owners of the previous
Ergo version will be able to update it for free.

You can see Ergo for yourself by downloading the demo at this web-page:
http://calgary.shaw.wave.ca/~jfallows/Ergo_1.htm
The e-mail address to contact is john.fallows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dutch hard-core-dx subscribers may be interested to read my review, scheduled
for the upcoming January-issue of Radio Amateur Magazine (RAM).

Now, to avoid any flames: I have no commercial interest in Ergo and the
statements above are solely my personal opinion.

73's,
Michiel.