[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME THIRTEEN - NUMBER ONE

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME THIRTEEN - NUMBER ONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==================  Year Two - 1998  ==================

----- P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND.------

Editor:   Graham J Barclay            Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:   0064-6-835-9106
Fax:      0064-6-835-9186
WWW site:      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885

Assistance kindly provided by:
SRS NEWS, Sweden.  http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
#  51
		VOLUME   THIRTEEN - NUMBER ONE

January 5th 1998

Hello to the First edition of  THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY for 1998.
We sincerely hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New
Year, and that Santa brought some of you the Radio's you have been
drooling over for all the past year!!.

We would also like to thank you for all the contributions etc throughout
1997 and we hope we can maintain the standard of "The K.R.W" throughout
1998.

On our WWW site at http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885
we have made some minor changes, mainly to the page that gives back
issues of the KRW. We have retained this page, But deleted access
directly to the Back issues, as they take up an immense amount of
computor space ( space that can be better used elsewhere ),but if back
issues of the KRW are required then requests ( citing Vol and # )can be
made to us direct at:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx , and these will be sent
via Email to thoses that request particular issues.
We are still having problems loading photos onto our WWW site via FTP.
CAN ANYONE HELP - PLEASE.

Also we are on the lookout for a copy of the original Japanese
song SUKI YAKI that was released back in the 60's??.
We will gladly replace any tape sent. Thanks in advance.

Now onto other items received in the past 7 days:

			************************
RADIO G'DAY INT - Australia:

Had a special broadcast on 11401 KHz on December 31st 1997
from 06.00 to 09.34 hrs UTC

We started at 0600 UTC on a vertical & then changed to a dipole at
0700.. then back to the vertical at 0800.

We signed off at 0934 UTC..

Results were good in Australia etc.

To contact Radio G'day you can write to them at; 	Radio G'day Int
							c/- P O Box 3103
							Onekawa
							Napier
							New Zealand
or Email Via:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
and a small www page is at:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885/rgi.html

( via Claude Crowe - R.G.I & Ye Editor )
			*********************

RADIO FREE LONDON SW:

I am going to be off line of about 10-14 days while the  PC goes in for
repair. All mail should be sent to ether

AndyWalker@xxxxxxx
or
RFLsw@xxxxxxx

It will get to me, but a reply might take some time.
This address will be deleted soon so up date your address books NOW

Radio Free London will be on the air again this coming  weekend on
5805kHz as usual for our regular 1st Sunday  broadcast.

( via AW - RFLSW )
			**********************
HOME PLANET:

Hi all, Happy New Year
I have found an interesting free program at the following url
http://www.fourmilab.ch/homeplanet/homeplanet.html.
This is a program that shows a map of the world, timeUTC+local time,
shows greyline, phase of the moon,and satellite tracking (choose from a
list which can be updated) also you can enter your position on the map
and get a vew of the sky from your location,showing stars and planet's
that should be visible at that time of day or night.
I downloaded the "light" version about 1.4mb and it took about 5~10
minutes, the full version is about 7mb, you can chose what ever one you
want or the "lite" and the upgrade later.
Check it out and have fun.

( via Brandon Vaughan  / Greyline DX )

			************************

SOUTH AMERICAN FREE RADIO;

Radio Pasteur
---------------------

It's a radiophonic production made in a broadcast format carried out by
students of a journalism workshop of the College Nº19 Luis Pasteur in
the City of Buenos Aires, federal capital of the Argentina Republic.

It's composed by three radio programmes:

Radio Programme 1 (sports) called 'Velez, el  Gigante del Oeste', it's
broadcasted in FM 90 (90.1) every Monday from 19 to 21.

Radio Programme 2 (arts, culture and entertainments) called 'Ventana
abierta', it's broadcasts in FM every Friday from 15 to 16.

Radio Programme 3 (ecology and envyroment, customs, traditions,
geography, social and human rights and Argentine and Latin America
history) titled 'Special Pasteur Radio',  it may be listened in a
special emision for FM 90 every Friday from 16 to 17.

Radio Pasteur includes documental radios about contemporany subjects In
Argentina relationed with impunity and the defence of human rights in a
country that felt during the decade of 70's and 80's one of the worst
politically and socialy moments.
Since 1996 the students designed, investigated and  made works like
'Malvinas, la hermanita perdida',  remenbering the war with Great
Britain for the  Malvinas Island in 1982; 'A 20 Anos',  memory
of the human rights violation during the military government in 1976 to
1983; 'Jose LuisCabezas, el asesinato de un periodista', is the chonicle
of
all the developed of the bluding murder of a photograph reporter on
January; 'Amia, el rostro de la impunidad' it's an investigation work
and at ruthway since 3 years of the attemped crime in the jew mutual in
Buenos
Aires.

This educational project is managed by the journalist Claudio Morales,
teacher coordinator of the Journalism Workshop of the College Nº19 Luis
Pasteur in the condition of an editor or managing director and
assisted by the most important student of the workshop, Emiliano
Carbonell, in the charge of executive producer. This understanding
journalism is carried out by temporary collaborators students of the
college whose ages fluctuates from 13 and 18 years old that make weekly
the radio productions.

This educational project doesn't receive any benefit of anybody state
and private, only is's financed in base to donations that allow it's
continuation. Like this we are exempt of taxes and paid the copyright
because the
students project doesn't generate any profit. The students design the
expenditure of the different activities, the control also the ingress of
the publicity of the community FM radiostation that are invested in
material for the broadcast productions.

Radio Pasteur invite to listen our short wave programme
via free radio station in 6950 KHz. LSB

Friday 2 January 1998, on 6950 khz:
0300-0400 Radio Pasteur   (Argentina)

Saturday 3 January 1998, on 6950 khz:
0900-1000 Radio Pasteur    (Argentina)

Sunday 4 January 1998, on 6950 khz:
0500-0600 Radio Pasteur

You can contact Radio Pasteur and get the QSL Card.
Send your letters, reception reports and ask for other
details to:
Radio Pasteur / Claudio Morales
Casilla 1852
Correo Central
1000 Buenos Aires
Argentina

Our E-mail address is:
morales.arg@xxxxxxxxxx

Please send 2 IRC's for to cover the postal fees.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
PLEASE, COULD YOU WRITE US IF YOU LISTENED THE RADIO TRANSMISSION.
Thank you very much.

++++++++++++++
Other transmissions:

Friday 2 January 1998, on 6950 khz:

0200-0300 Radio Cochiguaz
0300-0400 Radio Pasteur   (Argentina)
0430-0530 Radio Blandengue
0530-0630 Radio Natalie   (Estonia)
1100-1145 Free Radio Info (Germany)

On 6980 khz

2130-2230 Radio Cochiguaz

Saturday 3 January 1998, on 6950 khz

0130-0230 Radio Cochiguaz
0300-0400 Radio Blandengue
0400-0445 Free Style Radio (Germany)
0500-0600 Radio Natalie    (Estonia)
0600-0645 Free Radio Info  (Germany)
0900-1000 Radio Pasteur    (Argentina)
1000-1045 Jolly Roger Radio International (Ireland)

On 6980 khz

2130-2230 Radio Cochiguaz

Sunday 4 January 1998, on 6950 khz:

0300-0400 Radio Cochiguaz
0400-0445 Laser Hot Hits
0500-0600 Radio Pasteur
1030-1130 Radio Cochiguaz

*Contact addr. to the stations:

*Radio Cochiguaz via:RC; Casilla 2571; 1000-Buenos Aires; Argentina.
 or via Radio Cochiguaz; Box 109; Blue Ridge Summit; PA 17214; USA.
 Contact via E-mail (only for to receive messages): rc@xxxxxxxxx

*Radio Blandengue via:RB; Casilla 2571; 1000-Buenos Aires; Argentina.
 or contact directly via E-mail: radio.blandengue@xxxxxxx

*Jolly Roger Radio International; Box 39; Waterford; Ireland.

*Laser Hot Hits; Box 293; Merlin; Ontario N0P 1W0; Canada.

*Radio Natalie; P.O. Box 3260; EE-0090 Tallinn; Estonia.
 (This station request 1 US$ dollars for QSL, not IRC's please)

*Free Radio Info; Postfach 520112; D-44207 Dortmund; Germany.
 (For this broadcast listeners in SAm will receive a QSL card
 specially for Southamerica) Pgms in EE w/IDs in Spanish!!

*Free Style Radio; Ostra Porten 29; S-44254 Ytterby; Sweden or
 also to the addr of FRI, Postfach 520112, D-44207 Dortmund,
 Germany.

*Radio Pasteur; c/o Claudio Morales; Casilla 1852; 1000-Buenos
 Aires; Argentina. This is a argentine free station made as a
 educational proyect by secondary students.

Only snail mail reports will be verified with QSL, and please
include 2 IRC for to cover the postal fees.

( via Radio Pasteur )
			******************

RADIO MARABU TEST:

Radio Marabu will test their transmitter tomorrow on January the 4th at
around 09.00 / 10.00 hours UTC on 7 4 8 4 kHz.

Check it out and send us a short reception report via E-mail.

			and

    RADIO MARABU WITH THE FIRST LONG TIME TRANSMISSION AT 1998  !!!

Radio Marabu will be on the air again with another two long time
transmission at the following weekends from Saturday the 10th until
Sunday the 11th of January starting at 18.00 hours UTC and again the
following weekend from Friday the 17th until Saturday the 18th of
November at 18.00 hours UTC.

                       FREQUENCY IS   6 2 1 0  kHz.

The programme line-up is as follows:

1st hour: "Flashback Radioshow" with Marcel and Frank - The
best    		      independent tracks from 1997
2nd hour: "Tapedepartment Radioshow" with DJ Lord Litter
3rd hour: "Gittare X Radioshow" with Marcel Fischer
4th hour: "Dark Beat Radioshow" - the latest in Gothic, Wave and
more 		      with DJ Günter Radermacher

The programmes will be repeated on a four hour time slot.

WITHIN THE PROGRAMME WE INCLUDED ANOTHER COMPETITION WHERE YOU CAN WIN
FIVE FREE
ISSUES OF THE MUSIC MAGAZINE M U S I K B Ö R S E JUST IF YOU SEND US A
REACTION ABOUT THE PROGRAMME.

Radio Marabu - P.O. Box 1166 - 49187 Belm - Germany
Tel.: 05406/899484 Fax: 05406/899485
E-mail: RadioMarabu@xxxxxxxxxxx
ULR: http://www.mediaDD.de/radiomarabu/

Our homepage is not available at the moment because it´s just under a
new construction and a new domain. We will inform you with a separate
E-mail, if the homepage is available again.
( via Radio Marabu )
			***********************

ALLAN WEINER's PLANNED SW STATION:

*MAINE broadcaster Allan Weiner got a nice New Year's gift from the
FCC: They've approved his application for a new shortwave station in
Monticello.  No word on when the station might be built, or what
Weiner will program.  He's well known in the radio community for his
long history as a pirate, from small stations near New York in the
late 60s all the way to Radio Newyork International a few years back.

( via Scott Fybush - NERW 1/1 )
			**********************

RSGB "100 YEARS OF AMATEUR RADIO AWARD".

The RSGB has recently announced an award to celebrate 100 years of
amateur radio in 1998. The new HF award will be issued for making 100
points during the course of 1998. The award is available to listeners on
a `heard' basis. All claims must include a log extract certified by two
licensed amateurs or an RSGB affiliated club official and a summary
sheet of the points claimed per contact listed by callsign.
More info from Award Manager: Fred Handscombe  G4BWP
                              Sandholm, Bridge End Rd,
                              Red Lodge, Bury St. Edmunds,
                              IP28 8LQ  United Kingdom

Good DX and Happy New Year!

Franco Probi         SWL  I6-302PE
RADIOINCONTRO  DX-editor
e-mail:   fprobi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
			**********************

"EKKO, EKKO, EKKO, EKKO":

"Ekko, Echo, Ekko, Echo" is an article from the Antique Radio Classified
website featuring the photos and other information on the history of a
1920 collecting craze -Ekko stamps or "Verified Reception Stamps", that
made the first chapters of the history of our hobby.
It was written by Wayne Gilbert in collaboration with Charles R. Combs.
Good that a "Jerry Berg" is credited there too!. The original article
was printed on the June 1997, Nr 4, Vol 14 of the printed magazine.
Browse it at: http://www.antiqueradio.com/gilbertcombs_ekko_6-97.html

Horacio A. Nigro,Dec 30 /97
hanigro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

			*********************
ANTENNEX # 9:

Our January 1998 Issue No. 9 is now published at:

http:/www.antennex.com/

and we think it is our best yet. Here's the lineup of subjects:
1. ARCTIC YL DX-peditions
2. 2-Meter Handheld for $88
3. The Log Periodic Dipole (with sound)
4. Trap Those Radials
5. Converting Military ATUs
6. Shortened Dipole for 40 Meters
Plus, of course, the Editorial of the Month, From the Shack! Enjoy!

...antenneX Online: http://www.antennex.com/

Thanks and 73, Jack
E-mail: jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Voice: 512.855.0250 | | Fax: 512.851.8278
P.O. Box 72022, Corpus Christi, TX 78472
			*********************

PENFRIENDS:

I have a lot of pen-friends to share!!!
In 156 countries, worldwide, islands, too!!!
All ages and interests.

If interested, send a note to me at:-
pen-friends@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's as easy as that!

Happy New Year

Mr. Malte Aronsson
PO Box 30039
S 40043 GÖTEBORG
SWEDEN
			********************

WEB SITE UPDATE:

You will see now :
- My latest logs as appeared  the past two months in HCDX
- some new  info  on pirates ( at the end of the page)
- enhancements on the TV page ( marked as new)
- the last QSls i received

all work has been made with Frontpage 3 (98)

You are kindly asked to visit  the page

Zacharias Liangas
http://www.compulink.gr/Users/zliangas/central.htm  (my :new !)
http://www.clandjop.com/~jcruzan/greek-p.html
(mirrored for greek pirate radio )
			*******************

FOR SALE:  WORLD WAR 11 VALVES / TUBES:

 I just got a load of WW II German tubes from my contact in Russia, I am
offering them to anyone in the group and a few interested people.  I
will hold on to them for a few weeks and then will sell them in bulk to
a tube dealer who has expressed an interest in them.  They are primarily
for the E 51-E 53 Koln Receiver and for some aircraft radios.  Here is
the list.
RL 2 P 3        -  2 tubes
RV12P2000-  New in box- 1 tube
RV12P2000-   70 tubes
RG -D 60         16 tubes
OSRAM URA610 - 1 each
LK 121 Rectifier tube-  3 /with large tube pullers
small tube pullers  35
large tube puller  1(4 if taken off the LK 121 tubes)

The price is $20.00  per tube. Postage is extra.
If you are interested, let me know.

Here is more on the German tubes I have for sale.
RL 2 P 3        -  2 tubes
RV12P2000-  New in box- 1 each
RV12P2000-   70 tubes
RG -D 60         16 tubes
OSRAM URA610 - 1 each SOLD
LK 121 Rectifier tube-  3 /with large tube pullers
small tube pullers  35
large tube puller  1(4 if taken off the LK 121 tubes)
The RL 2 P3 were used in the TornFu b... ,  f and so. ("2" stands for 2
volt, P = penthode, 3 stands for 3 watt)

The  RV 12 P 2000 tubes were the backbone of nearly all German A.C.
powered commercial electronic apparatus too.
The RG 12 D 60 were not only used in the Koeln E 52 - 53, but for
several other occassions as well.

The RV 12  P 2000 is the standard receiver tube for Luftwaffe apparatus
as: FuG 10, FuG 16, etc. as well.

The RV12 P 2000 is a very reliable tube, and it still works above 150
MHz quite well. The Germans produced approx. 16 million or more items.
In Eastern Europe for several decades and shortly after the War in
Germany this tube were still in production. Although the post War
Telefunken samples were not of good quality, these were marked "Ulm".
There are even some  RV 12 P 2000s which carries a  NATO stock number!!

( via William Howard )
THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE TECHNICAL INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
e-mail wlhoward@xxxxxxx Telephone AC 813 585-7756

			************************

Basic Collection of  Japanese Radios Part 8

By LTC William L.Howard
[ The following was originaly published in
		"The Military Collector Post"
an Email Daily Magazine devoted to the preservation
of History and the Radio's that made it.]

Japanese Type 94 - 3 A Wireless Set,
Contents of Chest No 1

This chest housed the Transmitter, receiver, battery
drawer and the receiver coils.  I have the set in the chest but
somewhere the covers of the No 1 and No 2 chests were switched..

The following  accessories  have not been listed in some other
chest so it can be assumed that they were kept in this chest.
They include:
Key for transmitter ( Chest No 1)
Remote cable to connect transmitter to remote
control box
Antenna wire 66=92 yellow, rubber covered wire
( Chest No 1).
Headset with cable, possibly 1 set.
(Believe one set was in Chest No 2)
Remote Control Box(Model, make, etc unknown)
There is a remote control box for this set that consist
as a minimum a battery, a jack for the plug and line terminals.
This could have been made small enough to be stored in the
top open  compartment.  Thus far, this item has never been
seen or photographed so do not have any information on it.

I received a letter from Mr. Takashi Doi, who has
been in contact with a former member of the Japanese Army
who used this set in China.  The old soldier said he only used
the  remote control unit, once in China on a large military exercise.
For the most part, the remote unit was used with larger high
power ground transmitters.

In another letter discussing the candle, the old soldier
said they never used the lamp as it was hard to clean. They just
stuck the candle on a small plate or even stuck it on the radio set!
Typical of a soldier, not going to make any extra work for himself.

Japanese Type 94-3 A Wireless Station Accessory Chest No 2.
Contents of the No 2 Chest of the Type 94-3 A Wireless Station

This is based upon a translation of the contents list inside the front
cover	It is also based upon an examination of several pictures.

The chest appears to be the same size as the No 1 Chest which
contains the receiver, transmitter, battery box and receiver coils.
The approximate dimensions are 24" wide, 20" high
and 8"  deep.  (The front cover of the No 2 chest fits the No. 1
Chest so they must both be the same size.)

The chest is divided into two halfs. Presumably each is
about 11 " wide. The right side is open.  At the bottom the
Type 29 E hand cranked generator is stored.  In the upper
compartment spare tubes were shown in a picture.
Japanese tube boxes are 2 1/4 inches square on the end and
there were three rows. The compartment must have been at
least  7 inches high. The compartment for the generator must
have been 12 " high, as the generator dimensions are given as
9 by 5 by 10 ins..

The compartment on the left had three sections.
The top section was a pull out drawer and I assume the others
were also pull out drawers.

The top drawer was used to store the four transmitter coils that
were not in use.There were two coils on each side in their own
compartment. The coils are 2 1/2 " in diameter and are 3 1/2 "
high when stored. By default the center section was 7 " wide
and was divided into two smaller compartments.  The drawer then
must have been  6" to 8" deep. 11 + "wide and  3 1/2 " high.
The remaining two drawers then would have been 16 " high
or 8" high per drawer.

Accessories that were listed on the contents list
Transmitter Coils (4)
Headset with cable, possibly 2 sets.
Transmitter crystals ( Two Type 3 stored in the drawer
	    with transmitter coils)
Voltage Meter
Chart
Sling (For the radio set)
Connection Codes for Test
Type 3 Antenna Retriever, Rope (2)
Generator Accessory Bag, with  Power cable and sling

Antenna Retrievers ( 2 ) Type 3 -B  Wooden reels
(Like a kite or fishing line with the Counterpoise wires of 33 ' and
66 '  black and brown Type 2 B Spare Antenna Wire
---Inverted L use-- Generator, Model Number
Type 29 E (With 2 hand cranks and 1 small bulb).Japanese Type 94-3A
Wireless StationAccessory Chest No 3 contents.
Translated by: T. Doi
The chest  has three drawers and an open upper space divided
in to two compartments.

The upper left compartment contains a No 7 repair Kit
The upper right compartment contains  the following
items:4 each  Mark 3 Dry cell batteries (1.5 volt for
filament supply.)Type 92 Battery powered light
( Some form of flashlight) (Not confirmed )
Item translated as Candle container ( Have found a candle
container that is part of the  candle lamp, so assume the candle
lamps leather container which housed a collapsible lamp and
two spare candle  containers must be what is referred to as
Candle container )
The bottom left drawer contained the following items:
100 grams of solder
30 meters of rubber covered insulated wire
2 rolls of rubber cotton tape ( assume it is electrical tape)
1 roll of Cotton  tape (This is a fabric tape used to repair
               book covers etc.)
20 grams of 1 mm Hemp yarn
The right side upper drawer contained  the following items:
1 brush
1 Lube oil (Assume  this is the Generator Maintenance
               Kit with an oil can & Brushes)
2 small blubs (Assume for the Type 92 Flashlight but
               could be for the generator)
2 cloths (probably for cleaning)
2 neon tubes (Replacement for tuning indicator in
transmitter)
Assorted screws in the following sizes
2.6 mm x 15mm
3mm x 15 mm
4mm x 18mm
4  ???
10 2.6mm x 3mm ?	( possibly nuts ? )
10 2.6mm x x 3mm ?
10 2.6mm x 3mm ?
2 5 K ohm resistors
1 50 K ohm resistor
2 capacitors 1,500 v - 18.000 cm
1 capacitor 1,000 v - 18,000 cm and 9,000 cm
2 - 800 v 0.5 uF capacitors
1- 1,500 v- 0.5 uF capacitor
2 unidentified objects
Bottom right drawer
2 - Mark 3 dry cell batteries ( 1.5 volt for filament)
10 B Batteries (22.5 volt Mark 18 B)
2- C Batteries ( 4.5 volt probably the Mark 129 Batteries)
Dry cell battery for Type 92 small light
2 - C Batteries (?) (probably more of the Mark 129
batteries)

( via William L.Howard )
THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE TECHNICAL
INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
e-mail:  wlhoward@xxxxxxx
Telephone AC 813 585-7756

More Next Week.
Well that's it for another week - Good DXing.

73's
Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND
Email:	kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx