[HCDX]: Blokhus DX-Report

Hello!

Now this year's DX-pedition to Blokhus in northern Jutland (Denmark) is
history. We arrived on 26.12 in the afternoon and left on 6.1.98 around
noon. We, that were czech DXer Karel Honzik and Joachim Stiller and Martin
Elbe from Germany. Alas, this time Finn Krone could not participate due to
private reasons, but we had phone-contact with him every day.

Blokhus is a famous danish seaside-resort where we had hired a
summer-cottage  right behind the dunes, about 250 meters from the North
Sea. The area was extremely quiet, all surrounding cottages were
uninhabitat. It was the third DX-pedition in a row over the new year, the
first one 95/96 was to Hune, about 3 km from Blokhus, the second one 96/97
was in Blokhus in the same cottage we used now.

Antennas used were mainly longwires of about 150 to 250 meters in length,
main direction was from 290 to 330 degrees (4 antennas), one to 240
degrees.

And to complete the sortiment there was an active antenna (DX-One
professional) and an endfired inverted V of 8m height, receivers used were
three AOR AR7030.

Conditions? On the 27.12 it was very good, with lots of stations from the
Prairie coming in (of course, this was meant as a mediumwave-DXpedition!)
28.12. was even better and 29.12 was absolutely breathtaking. In almost 30
years of DXing I hadn't experienced such conditions! We heard Northamerica
around the clock, on every 10 kHz channel! Wow! A pity that we could
monitor 3 frequencies only at a time, leaving out more than 100 unmonitored
:-(

We thought it would never end, but alas, alas, it all came to a sudden end
on the 30.12. On that day we had a very distinct opening towards Florida
when at 0540 UTC something hit us from the sun. All US stations were wiped
out within a minute, after 10 minutes they slowly recovered. But not back
to the old beauty, in the morning the listening period ended soon with very
early fade-outs. Nothing more from the Prairie then till the end of our
DXpedition! What followed was the period of the long faces, slowly, slowly
conditions recovered, we heard this and that from the Eastcoast, but the
spectacular ones were gone. On the 31. an 1.1. good openings in the night
towards Puerto Rico and Central America in general. On the 4.1. the big
guns from the Westcoast, like CJVB, CFUN, KGA and KOMO returned, and on the
6.1. it was good towards Eastcoast.

Some interesting remarks: During the first DXpedition we couldn't log VOWR
on 800 at all. Last year it appeared twotimes. This year VOWR was audible
every evening, always the first to fade-in was CBG Gander on 1400 around
1900 UTC, 10 minutes later VOWR showed up. And every morning VOWR was
audible too. And KBRW Barrow, Alaska! Not heard at all on the first
DXpedition, last year we were really excited to log it twice. And this
year? A daily one, audible in the morning, during daytime, afternoon,
evening and night. Almost regarded as a pest! Sic transit gloria mundi!
Same is valid for KXBT. Oh, how I was fighting with them last year on 1630!
This year they came in roaring on their new 1640 kHz frequency.

On the other hand we didn't hear CHIN Toronto, 1540, at all. That was a
pest during the previous two years. Off the air?

Some interesting results from the antenna-tests: The end-fired inverted "V"
I used performed very well in comparison with the longwires. During
nighttime reception it was my favourite antenna, giving better results than
the longwires. Only during daytime, after 1000 hrs UTC when everything in
gain was needed the longwires outrivalled the Vertical.

On the 29. we tried to log Hawaii, but with no success. I thought it could
be possible on that day, I was chasing a station on 1500 kHz for more than
an hour (expecting KUMU), but it turned out to be "only" CKAY Duncan, BC.
So, until now no log from Hawaii in Central Europe. The challenge
continues! (At least for us in Central Europe. In northern Finnland that's
a job for housewives with a kitchen radio :-)

The best log? Difficult to say, most likely the Dallas Airport Station on
1680 is the best. But a lot of stations logged there could be first from
Central Europe. Enough said, fasten seat belts, and tadaa! tadaaa! here is
our station list. Some more will be added when we are through with the
tapes, but these are identified until now.

NORTH AMERICA

550   CHNL, Trois Rivières, PQ
560   CHVO, Carbonear, NF
      CKCN, Sept Iles, PQ
570   Nuuk, Greenland
580   CJFX, Antigonish, NF
      CFRA, Ottawa, ON
      CKY,  Winnipeg, MB
590   VOCM, St. John's, NF
600   CIQC, Montreal, PQ
610   CHNC, New Carlisle, PQ
      WIOD, Miami, FL
620   CKCK, Regina, SK
650   Nuuk, Greenland
      CKGA, Gander, NF
      WSM,  Nashville, TN
660   WFAN, New York, NY
      CFFR, Calgary, AB
670   CKXB, Musgravetown, NF
      WMAQ, Chicago, IL
680   KBRW, Barrow, AK
      WRKO, Boston, MA
      CJOB, Winnipeg, MB
      CFTR, Toronto, ON
690   CBF,  Montreal, PQ (so they are not switched off yet!)
700   CHSJ, St. John, NB
      WLW,  Cincinnati, OH
710   KIRO, Seattle, WA
      WOR,  New York, NY
      CKVO, Clarenville, NF
730   CKAC, Montreal, PQ
      CKDM, Dauphin, MB
      CKLG, Vancouver, BC
740   CHCM, Marystown, NF
750   WSB,  Atlanta, GA
      CBGY, Bonavista Bay, NF
      CJVR, Melfort, SK
      CKGB, Timmins, ON
760   WJR,  Detroit, MI
770   WABC, New York, NY
      CHQR, Calgary, AB
780   WBBM, Chicago, IL
      CFDR, Dartmouth, NS
790   CIGM, Sudbury, ON
      CFCW, Camrose, AB
      WAXY, Miami, FL
      WMCA, Providence, RI
800   CKLW, Windsor, ON
      CHRC, Quebec, PQ
      VOWR, St. John's, NF
820   WBAP, Fort Worth, TX
      CHAM, Hamilton, ON
830   WCCO, Minneapolis, MN
840   WHAS, Louisville, KY
850   KOA,  Denver, CO
      WEEI, Boston, MA
      CKVL, Verdun, PQ
860   CJBC, Toronto, ON
870   WWL,  New Orleans, LA
880   WCBS, New York, NY
      CHQT, Edmonton, AB
890   WLS,  Chicago, IL
920   CJCH, Halifax, NS
      CFRY, Portage La Prairie, MB
930   CJYQ, St. John's, NF
      CFBC, St. John, NB
      CJCA, Edmonton, AB
940   CBM,  Montreal, PQ
      CJGX, Yorktown, SK
950   CKNB, Campbellton, NF
      CFAM, Altona, MB (// 1250 CHSM)
960   CHNS, Halifax, NS
      CFAC, Calgary, AB
970   WZAN, Portland, CT
      UNID, Testtones and anns "CBS Radio Network, Channel 43". Need Help!
980   CBV,  Quebec, PQ
1000  KOMO, Seattle, WA
      WMVP, Chicago, IL
      CFLP, Rimouski, PQ
      CKBW, Bridgewater, NS
1010  WINS, New York, NY
      CFRB, Toronto, ON
1020  KDKA, Pittsburgh, PA
1030  WBZ,  Boston, MA
1040  WHO,  Des Moines, IA
      CKST, Langley, BC
1050  CHUM, Toronto, ON
      WEVD, New York, NY
1060  CKMX, Calgary, AB
1070  CBA,  Moncton, NB
      CHOK, Sarnia, ON
1080  WTIC, Hartford, CT
1090  KRPM, Seattle, WA
      WBAL, Baltimore, MD
1100  WTAM, Cleveland, OH
1110  WBT,  Charlotte, NC
      KFAB, Omaha, NE (presumed)
      CKTY, Sarnia, ON
1120  KMOX, St. Louis, MO
1130  WBBR, New York, NY
      KFAN, Minneapolis, MN
      CKWX, Vancouver, BC
1140  CBI,  Sydney, NS
      CHRB, High River, AB
1150  CKOC, Hamilton, ON
      CJRC, Gatineau, PQ
1160  KSL,  Salt Lake City, UT
1170  CKGY, Red Deear, AB
      WWVA, Wheeling, WV
1180  WHAM, Rochester, NY
1190  WLIB, New York, NY
      WOWO, Fort Wayne, IN
      CFSL, Weyburn, SK
1200  WOAI, San Antonio, TX
      CKXM, Victoria, BC
      CJBZ, Ottawa, ON
1250  CHSM, Steinbach, MB
1260  WEZE, Boston, MA (IDing as Radio Disney)
1270  CHAT, Medicine Hat, AB
1290  CHRM, Matane, PQ
1300  CJME, Regina, SK
1320  CKEC, New Glasgow, NS
      CHMB, Vancouver, BC
1330  CJYM, Rosetown, SK
      WRCA, Waltham, MA
1360  CKBC, Bathurst, NB
      CJVL, Ste. Marie de Beauce, PQ
1370  CFOK, Westlock, AB
1390  WEGP, Presque Isle, ME
      WDCW, Syracuse, NY
      WEED, Rocky Mount, NC (tentative only! Non-stop Gospel music with
            rare IDs as "Gospel 13-90". Never a callsign was given! Or new
            format of WXTC? Strange we never heard them! WXTC was
  unavoidable last year)
      CJCY, Medicine Hat, AB
1400  CBG,  Gander, NF
      WOND, Pleasantville, NJ
1410  WPOP, Hartford, CT
      CFUN, Vancouver, BC
      CIGO, Port Hawkesbury, NS
1420  CKDY, Digby, NS
      KUJ,  Walla Walla, WA
1430  KLO,  Oden, UT
      WNJR, Newark, NJ
      WMYS, Indianapolis, IN
      WENE, Endicott, NY
      WXKS, Everett, MA
      CHKT, Toronto, ON
1440  WJAE, Westbrook, ME
1460  WGNA, Albany, NY
      CJOY, Guelph, ON
1470  KBSN, Moses Lake, WA
      KWSL, Sioux City, IA
      WLOL, Brooklyn Park, MN (IDing as KLBB, their sister-station)
      WWNN, Pompano Beach, FL
      CJBV, Vancouver, BC
1480  WGVU, Kentwood, MI
      WHBC, Canton, OH
1500  KSTP, St. Paul, MN
      WFIF, Milford, CT
      WTOP, Washington, DC
1510  KGA,  Spokane, WA
      WLAC, Nashville, TN
      WNBR, Boston, MA
1520  WWKB, Buffalo, NY
      KFXX, Oregon City, OR
1530  KFBK, Sacramento, CA
1540  KXEL, Waterloo, IA
      WDCD, Albany, NY
1550  CBE,  Windsor, ON
      KYCY, San Francisco, CA
1560  WRHC, Coral Gables, FL (partly with own IDs, but heard also relaying
            WWFE 670)
      WQEW, New York, NY
1570  WFLR, Dundee, NY
      WBUG, Amsterdam, NY
      WTLK, Taylorsville, NC
1580  CBJ,  Chicoutimi, PQ
1590  WAKR, Akron, OH
      WARV, Warwick, RI
      WSMN, Nashua, NH
1600  KCRG, Cedar Rapids, IA
      KYGO, Lakewood, CO
      WUNR, Brookline, MA
      WWRL, New York, NY
      WAAM, Ann Arbir, MI
1640  KXBT, Vallejo, CA
1650  KGXL, Costa Mesa, CA
1660  WJDM, Elizabeth, NJ
1680  WAQ767, Dallas Airport Information, TX
1700  WCMQ, Miami, FL

CENTRAL AMERICA

620   CMGN, R. Rebelde, Cuba
640   CMBC, R. Progreso, Cuba
670   CMQ,  R. Rebelde, Cuba
710   CMW,  R. Rebelde, Cuba (plus others on same frequency)
830         R. Paradise, Nevis
840         R. Carribbean, St. Lucia
890   CMDZ, R. Progreso, Cuba
930   CMJS, R. Reloj, Cuba (plus others on same frequency)
950   CMHI, R. Reloj, Cuba
960   CMDJ, R. Reloj, Cuba
1010  CMAP, R. Reloj, Cuba
1020        Carribbean Christian Radio, Grand Turk
1060  XEEP, R. Educación, Mexico
1130  HIRL, Cadena Noticias, Santiago, Dom. Rep.
1190  WBMJ, San Juan, Puerto Rico
1350  WEGA, R. Las Vegas, Vega Baja, Puerto Rico
1400        Harbour Light, Grenada
1480  WMDD, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
1500  PCJ9, R. Hoyer 2, Curacao
1540  ZNS1, Nassau, Bahamas
1570  HIAJ, R. Amanecer, Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.
      TGVEA R. Voz Evangelica de America, Guatemala
      XERF, La Poderosa 15-70, Ciudad Acuna, Mexico
1600  WLUZ, R. Luz, Santurce, Puerto Rico

SOUTH AMERICA

570   HJND, R. Nac. de Colombia, Bogotá, Colombia
650   HJKH, RCN 2, Bogotá, Colombia
760   HJAJ, RCN Barranquilla, Colombia
770   HJJX, RCN, Bogota, Colombia
970   HJCH, RCN, Colombia
1000  HJAQ, RCN Cartagena, Colombia
1010  HJJR, Caracol Neiva, Colombia
1140  YV??, La Margaritena, Porlamar, Venezuela
1240  YVNV, R. Nacional de Venezuela
1410  YVSP, R. Simpatia, Valera, Venezuela
1420  YVNZ, R. Marabina, Maracaibo, Venezuela
1500  YVRZ, R. Dos Mil, Cumana, Venezuela
1510  YV??, R. Informativa, Venezuela
1620        Esmeralda, Buenos Aires, Argentina. They never IDed as Radio
            Esmeralda, only as "Esmeralda"! Using the slogan Radio Salvador
            too.

Uff. Almost got a tennis-elbow from typing... OK, that's it so far. Hope
you enjoyed it.

7030's
Martin