[HCDX]: TFW 48 4/4

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright 1997 - 1998  Part  4
Year 3 -  Number  48  - Rome, 11  January  1998

MEXICO - Follow-up to my last report on the 4290 station, which, to my
astonishment, some "DX" editors thought unworthy of note, but others
asked special permission to use--  I continue to hear this every
morning, from sign on a few minutes before 1200 until fade around 1330.
At least on weekdays, the Monitor news show out of Mexico City does not
have a local ID on the hour, and break times for local ads and ID vary.
Dec 24 at 1221 and Dec 26 at 1313, I was able to tape definite ID as
"XESHT, R. Joya de Saltillo [Coahuila], 14-30 en AM, mil watts de
potencia, de 6 a 24 horas." At times it's strong enough to follow the
rather in-depth news reports on major Mexican stories. I urge other
Dxers NOT to attempt to QSL this or contact the station, as that could
be extremely counterproductive, resulting in elimination of this third
harmonic (Glenn Hauser, OK, RIB and WOR 923 / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec
31, 1997)

NETHERLANDS/ROMANIA - RN, Bonaire, English to NAm at 0430, has French
interference after 0500 (George Thurman, TX, Dec 29 / SW/DX Report
97-28, Dec 31, 1997) It's R. Rumanie Internationale, per ID on his tape
at 0530; and this is in their current sked, for Canada, not Europe
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING / SW/DX Report
97-28, Dec 31, 1997)

NEW ZEALAND - RNZI advises that from Jan 3, new frequency is 17675
replacing most of the usage of 15115. But the schedule is contradictory
and has a gap in it: "15115 1951-2050 Sun-Fri, 1859-2155 Sat. 17675
2156-0458 Sun-Thu, 2205-0458 Fri-Sat" (Glenn Hauser, and WORLD OF RADIO
923/ SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA - NBC Port Moresby has been testing two new
frequencies, as heard and announced, 11880 at 2200-0730, 3925 at
0730-2200; after 1000 NSB Japan is on top (Chris Hambly, Australia, Dec
28 via Hauser / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997) 11880 is impossible at
2200 with Spain and something else--Italy?--there; and don't forget that
Australia also uses 11880 extensively. When I checked Dec 30 at 1208 NBC
was back on 4890, with ID amid music "Voice of PNG" using the
abbreviation. Chris agrees they are back on 4890, but still not on 9675,
so maybe keeping 11880 as of Dec 31 (Glenn Hauser, OK, and WORLD OF
RADIO 923 / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997)

PERU - 5385 has a weak station heard since Dec 14, and not ID-ed until
Dec 19. It's R. Guarnica, in Guarnaca; Andean and tropical dance music,
mentions of Chiclayo, heard only at night, 0045-0142 (Fernando Viloria,
Venezuela, WORLD OF RADIO 923 / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997) He
consistently spells the station and town names differently, as above (gh
/ SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997)

RUSSIA - V. of Russia World Service in English has been announcing that
from Jan 1, it's no longer 24 hpd, but 16--and the hours cut include
2200-0200, which had been prime listening time in NAm!--especially good
on 7125. The other gap is at 1000-1400 (Roger Tidy, Edwin Southwell,
Ivan Grishin, RIB and WORLD OF RADIO 923 / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31,
1997)

SAN MARINO - [non?]. Regarding allegations that R. San Marino Int'l is
really from Mainz, Germany-- The station itself gives the address P O
Box 41 11 31, 55068 Mainz as an alternative to c/o Play-DX, according to
a QSL certificate reproduced in the Dec 15 Play-DX. Perhaps that is the
source of the doubt; however, addresses are totally inconclusive, but so
are RSMI's claims to be from San Marino. That's the trouble with pirates
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO
923 / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997)

SWITZERLAND - Following up the previous report that "all" SW from here
would cease in 1998, we asked Bob Zanotti for further info, and this is
his reply: The main directional station at Schwarzenburg will be closed
at the end of March. However, the 500 kW directional transmitter at
Sottens will remain in operation. The omni at Lenk will close in
October. Because SRI will no longer be able to fulfill its part of the
time-swap agreement with CRI as a result, our relays via China will end
as of Oct, and will shift to Singapore. Transmissions from Switzerland
that will end as a result of the closure of Schwarzenburg and Lenk will
be shifted to Germany. That is the plan as of Dec 18. The reason for
closing Schwarzenburg is environmental protest, fears of cancer by local
residents. Swisscom is also closing Lenk in anticipation of growing
protest there (REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING, W.O.R. 923 / SW/DX
Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997)

TAIWAN - 5950 Radio Taipei International. For whatever it is worth, I
tuned in at 0245 to an explanation of the various networks, and the ID
"Radio Tapei International" was given numerous times. There was no
"Voice of... " ID given then or at s/off 03. I haven't found a new set
of Web pages yet, but I assume it will be accessible from the BCC pages
at <http://www.bcc.com.tw/>. (Sundstrom, NJ USA  Jan 1)

UNITED KINGDOM - HCJB via UK site 6150, Golos s Gory,(Voice from the
Mountain), 1 Jan, 1800-1900 in Russian, Ukranian and the last 15 minutes
in unid language,presumably Georgian. According to the reports,this is
HCJB relays via BBC tx in the UK, but no original HCJB IDs were heard.
The Russian part of the programme consisted of continuosly Bible reading
without any ID. Fair to good signal with some QRM from Austrian Radio on
6155. Two addresses were given at the end of the programme : Golos s
Gory, PO Box 171, St.Petersburg 194356, Russia and PO Box 89,Kiev-253002
Ukraine. I have never heard "Golos s Gory" ID on HCJB Russian sce
programmes on SW and these addresses are also unfamiliar to me, so I
guess at least the Russian part of the programme is produced in Russia.
(Nikolay Pashkevich, 4 Jan / EDXP # 75).

<  Marconi ha dato agli uomini un nuovo
modo di conoscersi, di aiutarsi, di
amarsi, quale nessun  poeta o scienziato
aveva mai immaginato.  >
                                                  Nuova Antologia

< La conoscenza e' la prima forma di liberta'. >
                                                       Giovanni Serra

< Un uomo che abbia qualcosa da dire
e non trovi chi l' ascolta,
se la passa male.