[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME THIRTEEN - NUMBER TWO

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME THIRTEEN - NUMBER TWO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==================  Year Two - 1998  ==================

----- P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND.------

Editor:   Graham J Barclay            Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:   0064-6-835-9106
Fax:      0064-6-835-9186
WWW site:      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885

Assistance kindly provided by:
SRS NEWS, Sweden.  http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
# 52
		VOLUME    THIRTEEN - NUMBER TWO

January 11th 1997

Kia Ora ( Hello ) from The KRW to you all. Hopefully you have had
a good week of DXing, particulary in Europe with a number of
Trans-Atlantic reception being noted.
Reception here in the South Pacific has been pretty average at my
QTH with nothing special to make mention of.
The US pirate Frequency of 6955 KHz has the usual activity, and that is
about it, although it was noted that a Dxer in Wellington heard The
Farmers from Holland on 6300 KHz over the Christmas break
- Good Catch Chris.!!
Also rumour has it that a "Legal" broadcaster has their eye on the US
pirate freq of 6955 KHz, so if this is correct - where will the US
pirates
sail off to ?? - ideas and comments welcomed. Also if you know who the
"Legal" broadcaster is - please tell us. THANKS.

Now onto other items received in the past few days:

REST IN PEACE:			***********************

Mr. Alberto Gandolfo, President of AIR - Associazione Italiana
Radioascolto (Italian Radiolistener Association) died on Jan. 5th, 1998,
aged 53, in Turin, following a heart surgery operation. A longtime
listener, Alberto Gandolfo was elected as AIR  President in 1986 and
three times re-elected. His dedication to local  organisation of our
Association led to the opening of many regional sections and the regular
holding of the Cesana DX Camp. Italian and international listeners and
DXers in these very days operating on the "Attilio Leoni Contest" share
deep sorrow with his family.
Radiolisteners and Clubs wishing to send messages to the family can
address the E-mail to: air@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your attention, Luigi Cobisi. (luigi.cobisi@xxxxxx)
( Our sincerest Condolances to Family and friends -  KRW )
			******************

DX PROGRAMMES:

MAILBOX:
Join me for the latest tuning tips for the South Pacific on Radio New
Zealand International during "Mailbox", fortnightly broadcasts, Monday
0430z on 15115kHz and 1130z on 9700kHz, repeated the following Thursday
0830z on 9700kHz and Friday at 1930z on 11735kHz.

Next Broadcasts: Starting Mondays, January 19th, February 2nd and 16th,
repeated on following days as above.

KIWI DX:
And I'm hosting "Kiwi DX", on ZLXA, the Radio Reading Service, every
third Tuesday of the month at 0730z, repeated the following Sunday at
0330z, on 1602kHz, 3935kHz and 5960kHz alternate 7290kHz.

( via Paul Ormandy -<paulorm@xxxxxxxx> )
			************************

THE DEBATE CONTINUES: - Radio San Marino International
		IS IT A HOAX or NOT ???

We here at the K.R.W have been doing some more investigation into RSMI
and have yet to get a conclusive answer. RSMI assure us that they were
broadcasting from inside the Rep of San Marino, while some others are
saying differrent things.
Here is a comment from one of our readers:
>>[ I know nothing. I have get a eMail from RSMI, shortly after the transmission from the 21th Dec. 1997, with the asseveration that RSMI had brodcast realy from the area of the Rep of San Marino.
On this day, I could listen RSMI at 7.440.3 kHz with a itl. px and a
strong signal, here in the Rhein-Main-Area near by Frankfurt/Main.
The signal of the german show at 11.410 kHz between 10.00 - 10.59 UTC
with the DJ of Crazy  Wave Radio (stand by since 1997 ) was very very
strong signal here in this area.  After the german part,the signal of
the following program was fair until poor.
I have wrote a reception report to RSMI and after 21 days i have get the
QSL-Letter of  this station. The stamp and the stamp-mark on the
envelope was from San Marino.

Is it not nice, how a new station can split the Fans of Free Radio?

I think the truth know the operator of RSMI only.] <<

( Very True - Will we know the truth soon ? -
more comments please..- Ye Editor:< kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx > )
				+++++++++++++
From: Elio Antonucci <ik4nyy@xxxxxxxxx>

Ricevo e trasmetto integralmente il messaggio ricevuto dalla Direzione
Generale Poste e Telecomunicazioni.
   "L'Amministrazione delle Poste e Telecomunicazioni della Repubblica
di San Marino, comunica ufficialmente che: -RADIOSANMARINO INTERNATIONAL
non ha mai ottenuto alcuna autorizzazione alle trasmissioni da parte
delle Autorit Sammarinesi ed  quindi da considerarsi stazione"Pirata".
RADIOSANMARINO INTERATIONAL
NON HA MAI OPERATO NEL TERRITORIO DELLA REPUBBLICA DI SAN MARINO ne' in
nessun caso potra' farlo giacche' sprovvista di qualsiasi
autorizzazione.
Tutte le gravi violazioni di leggi Nazionali ed Internazionali poste in
atto dagli autori dell'azione verranno denunciate nelle sedi opportune.
I segnali emessi in data 20 - 21 Dicembre 1997 venivano irradiati da
siti localizzati in qualche paese del Centro Europa, probabilmente dalla
Germania. Indagini in merito sono in corso per individuare i
responsabili.
Si invitano gli SWL ed ascoltatori a non inviare danaro a qualsiasi
titolo alle caselle postali indicate dai responsabili della sedicente
"RADIO SAN MARINO INTERNATIONAL".
Per ogni informazione ufficiale circa l'attivita' di radiodiffusione
della Repubblica di San Marino inviare messaggi o contattare la
DIREZIONE GENERALE POSTE E TELECOMUNICAZIONI CONTRADA OMERELLI, 17
47031 REP. di SAN MARINO E-MAIL   :dirpostePC50
San Marino, l 22 Dicembre 1997/1697d.F.R."

Questo e'  quanto se qualcuno e'  in grado di fornirci ulteriori info ne
saremo grati, per ora auguro un Buon Natale a tutti
73 de  T77J @ T77J-6
				+++++++++++++++

Actually, as far as QSLing a new country is concerned, it does not
matter whether the station was broadcasting from San Marino or not.
Wherever it was broadcasting from, it does not have an official
license to broadcast, therefore is a pirate station, and pirate
stations
-as they are not official broadcasters- do not count for QSL
countries.  I think it is not more than logical that you only count
those countries of which you have an official or licensed station
verified.

73
Herman Boel
DXAntwerp QSL & free radio editor
http://www.club.innet.be/~ind1570
				++++++++++

SAN MARINO - [non?]. Regarding allegations that R. San Marino Int'l is
really from Mainz, Germany-- The station itself gives the address P O
Box 41 11 31, 55068 Mainz as an alternative to c/o Play-DX, according to
a QSL certificate reproduced in the Dec 15 Play-DX. Perhaps that is the
source of the doubt; however, addresses are totally inconclusive, but so
are RSMI's claims to be from San Marino.
That's the trouble with pirates
(Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING and WORLD OF RADIO
923 / SW/DX Report 97-28, Dec 31, 1997)
			**********************
WORLD WAR II HISTORY:

I received this message with a web site address.  It is an interesting
bit
of WW II history that is seldom covered.  Especially interesting to the
Dutch.
You may be interested in:
http://fox.nstn.ca/~avg/index.html

 Alexander van Gurp: <avg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 NASL/VDN
( via William L Howard: < wlhoward@xxxxxxx> )

			*********************

ITALIAN PROGRAMMING OUTSIDE ITALY:

I wonder if you may help. I am looking for local AM or FM stations
outside Italy and around the world who are carrying at least for some of
the time programs in the Italian language.

The Italian Government is setting aside funds to produce programs which
should be aired via stations to Italians abroad, and we have been asked
help in providing a list of local stations who already have an Italian
audience abroad.

If anyone can share this information with us, would you please contact
info@xxxxxxxxxx Name of the station, address, contact person, phone, fax
and e-mail adresses, as well as details on their coverage and
programming are appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

Alfredo E. Cotroneo, President,  NEXUS-Int'l Broadcasting Association
PO Box 11028, 20110, Milano, Italy           email: alfredo@xxxxxxxxx
ph: +39-335-214-614 (try first)/ +39-2-266-6971  fax: +39-2-706-38151
				**********************

RADIO NEW ZEALAND INTERNATIONAL THREATENED.

The following is from an article in the Christchurch Press  , NEW
ZEALAND  (Thursday 8th Jan 1998)

Quote -
Headline   -   TERMINATION POSSIBLE FOR PACIFIC RADIO

Wellington - Treasury has put up the idea of axing Radio New Zealands
shortwave service to the Pacific Labour says.Radio New Zealand
International is run by RNZ but is funded out of the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and Trades budget at a cost of $1.2 million a year.
Labours Pacific Islands Affairs spokesman Taito Phillip Field yesterday
said Cabinet would later this month receive a paper recommending the
service be axed.
The Internationl service was set up in 1990 after growing concerns that
New Zealands voice in the Pacific was not being heard at a time when the
much more heavily resourced Radio Australia and BBC World Service were
increasing their audiences in the region.
Even though RNZI had just one transmitter compared with Radio
Australia's 15 RNZI had considerable respect in the Pacific both among
Islanders and the expatriate community.
It also served as a conduit for news that Island journalists were
sometimes unable , because of restrictions by their governments , to run
in their own media.
In 1996 the Government commissioned a study of RNZI which has never been
publicly released but a copy obtained under the Official Information Act
said it was "fair to say that RNZI has not been at the forefront of the
minds of those in the ministry". At the same time , the report quoted
RNZ chief executive Sharon Crosbie as calling RNZI  " an orphan "
The report said RNZI was under-resourced and there was an apparent lack
of political will to provide more funds.
Today Mr Field said that if RNZI was axed , Pacific Island communities
in New Zealand would feel deceived.
In 1994 , when Pacific Island languate programmes were canned , there
was a promise RNZI would not only be maintained but boosted , Mr Field
said. "This current proposal flatly breaches that pledge"
Mr Field said axing the service would leave Australia with the only
voice
across the Pacific. RNZI also provided a crucial cyclone warning
service.
Mr Field said he would seek a meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister Don
McKinnon and the minister responsible for RNZ , Tony Ryall "to convey
the sense of outrage that would be felt by the Pacific Island community
to any proposal to axe RNZI"
NZPA
Un quote

( via Mark Nicholls )
			********************
PRELIMINARY PROGRAM FOR THE FOURTH NATIONAL MEETING OF MEXICAN DXERS

Site:  The city of Tehuacan, State of Puebla, Mexico (in the central
part
       of the country, about three hours by bus or car southeast of
Mexico
       City)
Dates: Friday, July 31-Sunday, August 2, 1998

FRIDAY, JULY 31
Arrival of participants
Meeting registration
Inauguration of the conference
Seminar:  Radio in cyberspace
Seminar:  DXing in Mexico and the new millenium
Welcome dinner

SATURDAY, AUGUST 1
Seminar:  Perspectives on the university radio station
Seminar:  How to make a reception report and an antenna correctly
Seminar:  Youth and DXing
Seminar:  How to choose a radio receiver
Lunch Break
Seminar:  Tourism promotion through shortwave radio
Seminar:  What is the function of a DX club, and how to form one
Seminar:  Philately and DXing
Seminar:  Culture on shortwave radio
DX Night

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2
Tour of the city of Tehuacan and surrounding areas
Lunch
Seminar:  Clandestine stations
Seminar:  Protection of the environment and shortwave radio
Round-table discussion with club leaders and representatives of radio
stations
Official closing

For more information, including conference costs, hotel and
transportation
details, etc., please contact:

Mexican National DX Meeting
c/o Radio Miami International
P.O. Box 526852
Miami, Florida 33152
USA
Telephone:  +1-305-267-1728
Fax:  +1-305-267-9253
E-mail:  wrmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you live in Mexico, please contact the conference organizer, Erika
Guerrero Buendia, directly, at:  Apartado Postal No. 396, Tehuacan,
Puebla 75701.  Telephone (01-238) 2-26-70 or (01-238) 2-29-22.  [If you
live outside of Mexico, please contact Radio Miami International for
conference details.]

Franco Probi         SWL  I6-302PE
RADIOINCONTRO  DX-editor
e-mail:   fprobi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-----------------------------------
			**********************
OUT NOW !!!

The "new" FRS Newsletter is out now -  it's Number 16.

In this newsletter you'll find:

- FRS newscorner
- SW free radio scene
- Offshore radio news
- News from around the world
- "made in Holland"

There is also an offer for a Radio Northsea Int. studio tape !!
Including on hour of studio-quality jingles !!

For details: E-mail peter.verbruggen@xxxxxx

For more details about the transmissions, Newsletter and more, please
take a peek at:
 http://home.pi.net/~freak55/home.htm

Our site will soon be supported with Real Audio.

Free Radio Service Holland
E-mail: FRSH@xxxxxx
Homepage FRSH: http://home.pi.net/~freak55/home.htm
			******************
FOR SALE:  Universal M7000 V 5.01 FS

I have a Universal M7000 Decoder for sale in Good to Very Good
condition. bot and manuals US$480.00 shipped to 48
				and

FOR SALE;   Kenwood R-1000 FS

I have a R1000 kenwood General Coverage Rx for sale. In Good condition.
It does have a few scratches on top but it works fine.
Has seperate USB LSB/CW AM wide/Narrow  Digital & analog readout
US$250.00 Shipped to 48

73  de  charlie  KC8IKG
W. Charles Alexander
charlie@xxxxxxxxxx
			**********************
MUNDO DX:

MUNDO DX EN RADIO AUSTRIA INTERNACIONAL CUMPLE 15
AÑOS DE EMISIONES. PARA CELEBRAR ESTA IMPORTANTE EFEMERIDES, RADIO
AUSTRIA INTERNACIONAL Y LA ASOCIACION DX BARCELONA CONVOCAN A UN
CONCURSO
INTERNACIONAL.

PUEDEN PARTICIPAR TODOS LOS OYENTES QUE ENVIEN
UN SOLO INFORME DE RECEPCION DE CUALQUIER PROGRAMA "MUNDO DX" QUE SE
EMITA EN RADIO AUSTRIA INTERNACIONAL ENTRE LOS DIAS 20 DE ENERO HASTA EL
15 DE MARZO DE 1998.

ADEMAS PARA OPTAR A MAS PREMIOS, LOS OYENTES
DEBEN ANOTAR LAS DOS PALABRAS CLAVES QUE SE DARAN A CONOCER EN EL
TRANSCURSO DE LOS PROGRAMAS DE ESAS FECHAS.
LAS DOS PALABRAS CLAVES SE ANUNCIARAN EN
PROGRAMAS SEPARADOS. POR LO TANTO LES
RECOMENDAMOS ESCUCHAR CADA SEMANA ESTE SU
PROGRAMA "MUNDO DX".

TODAS LAS RESPUESTAS E INFORMES DEBEN ENVIARSE
A RADIO AUSTRIA INTERNACIONAL, SECCION ESPAÑOLA, CONCURSO MUNDO DX,
A-1136 VIENA, AUSTRIA.
MUCHOS REGALOS LES ESPERAN...

http://www.orf.at/rai/
mailto:roi.service@xxxxxx?Subject=CONCURSO_15_años_MUNDO
_DX_en_ORF
			******************

Basic Japanese Radio Collecting , Part 8

By LTC William L Howard
[ The following was originaly published in
		"The Military Collector Post"
an Email Daily Magazine devoted to the preservation
of History and the Radio's that made it.]

Japanese Aircraft Radios

Both the Japanese Army and Navy had their own
Aviation branches and there were many types of aircraft.
It sometimes seems that there were as many radios as there
were aircraft.  Aviation radios are not well documented. I
suppose that it was felt that since the allied forces could not
easily make use of these sets, there was no need to prepare
technical bulletins on the sets. Then too, the allies were more
interested in teaching the troops to recognize the airplane and
not the radios, after all they would see the plane long before they
saw the radio.
The best (?) only reference work that said anything
about aircraft radios, other than the TM mentioned in Part 2 of
this series, was a post war book done by the Japanese in the
1970's.  Very costly, now out of print and with a Japanese text,
it does provide some good photos of some sets. It really only
covers the basic Army aircraft sets.
These sets are the Type 99 series radios.
There is a Type 99-1, 99-2, 99-3, 99- 4 and the 99 -5 sets.
In my collection I have the Type 99-1 receiver and the Type
99 -3 receiver. A fellow collector in New Jersey picked up the
Type 99-5 receiver at a flea market.  These sets for the most
part have been found with out the case or dust cover as the
Japanese term the outer case.

The Type 99 -1 set has the same 1930 style tubes as
most of their Army ground receivers.  By the time the Type 99-3
set came along, they had gone to metal tubes, the MC 803
which appears to be a clone of several of our metal tubes.
Both of these sets had long, thin plug in coils and the Type
99-3 coil had a slide in crystal. Neither set had the outer case.
Both followed the standard practice of angle iron construction
with components mounted on bolt on panels.  Power connctions
were sturdy plug and socket with a screw in retaining ring to
keep the cords from coming out during aerobatic maneuvers.

The Type 99-5 set was by far the best condition of the
three sets. The outer case came with the set, all tubes and parts
were present.  The set resembled the HRO sets in that they had
a right angle drive tuning capacitor and a long  narrow plug in
coil for the front of the set. The set also began to take on more
the appearanc of having been built on a chassis rather than bolt
on panels.

In an article on Japanese HRO type sets, I did a long
analysis of several Japanese sets. Currently under consideration
for publication in a national magazine, I will not discuss it in
detail in this series. Suffice it to say that by mid-war, the
Japanese began to change their construction practices
and produce a series of radios which resembled the HRO sets.
Samples have been seen of a radio direction finder that was
almost a carbon copy of the pre war Bendix Radio direction finder.
 It even used US tubes.

Japanese Naval aircraft radios are both scarce and poorly
documented.  The late war TM lists many of these but there
are few pictures.  There is a series of books done on aircraft
and you have to go through them aircraft by aircraft in hopes
of finding  a picture of what you have just found.
Most of these radois were on planes that flew from carriers
and were shot down at sea. The Pacific Ocean is now home
to many of these sets.

The best thing to do with one of these sets is to make
certain it has a data plate, then take a good photograph of both
the set and the data plate. Then hope that somebody can find a
Japanese translator for you. In addition to photograph and date
plates, the tube line up is important.  Sometimes the sets can be
identified from the tube line up.

Auxillary Eqipment

There are two main sources of power for these sets,
vibrators and dynamotors.  Usually the vibrator is a small box
with a four in connector on it.  This goes to a cable which then
goes to a junction box and then to the the receiver circuit and
to the battery which powers the unit. The one I have came with
the power cable which was about four feet long..  The rubber
was badly deteriorated and was cracking off.  Under the rubber
cable was a shielded cable.

The other major item is the dynamotor. There is a
Japanese copy of the HRO set for ground use which is powered
by either a recitifier type power supply or by a dynamotor.
The dynamotor looked like an old time 1940's lunch box painted
Olive drab, with a shift lever sticking out the side and with two
sockets for plugging cables into the set.. Most aircraft
transmitters were powered by  dynamotors.  In some cases both
receiver and transmitter were powered by dynamotors.
The Type 96 - 1 Naval  Aircraft radio used one of these dual
dynamotors. I have one of these units in reasonably complete
condition, but no cables for it, nor the radios!

In addition there were crew station boxes, antenna
change over relays as well as antennas.  These are rare items
as for the most part were part of the airplane and hard for the
GI to Steal in his quest for war souveniers. Antennas likewise
were part of the aircraft and not brought home in any great quantity.

Aircraft mikes were usually mounted inside a mask with
a soft chamois like face piece.  These were eventually plugged
in to the transmitter.  Headsets consisted of two ear phones with
two cords. The earphones mounted in the cloth or leather flying
helmet and the  cords plugged in to a junction box on a cable
and the cable plugged in to the radio receiver, via the crew
station box.  These accessories usually show up as part of
something else.

I picked up a pair of aviation headphones and a mike that were
with some other set.

Even rarer sets are the Mobile wireless sets which were
on vehicles and the radios on boats that were used for coastal
patrol. I have seen these in the National Cryptologic Museum.
Some of the other sets that have existed have been part of a
large collection of Japanese items that were sold as a lot to a
buyer in Japan.
Japanese forces had about three major types of tanks
and some were equipped with radios.  These sets are also
among the rare sets  I have never seen an actual tank radio
but have seen pictures of the sets.  I have heard rumors about
someone haveing a tank radio but I have not seen it.
Again, remember that most tanks when hit with artillery fore or
shaped charge rounds were completly scorched in side to
include the radio. As a result, this was  not a good war
souvenir for the average GI.  There were bettter pickin's else
where! Tank radios, like aircraft radios were powered by
dynamotors that ran off the vehicle battery.

At the end of WW II, when Allied Forces occupied
Japan, Gen McArthur ordered all Japanese radios destroyed.
A bull dozer driven over the radio was enough to discourage
anyone from attempting to restore the sets. Another word of
caution about these sets is that the Japanese used radium
based paint for most of their dials.  Many of these sets are
still quite hot!  They should be kept at the far end of the house!
Just for interest, you might want to check these with a geiger
counter.

All of these sets are sought after by Japanese collectors
who seem to have plenty of money to spend.  I am told that if a
set is missing the little red tag that says MILITARY
SECRET the value drops by $200.00!

 ( via  THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE TECHNICAL
INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
e-mail wlhoward@xxxxxxx Telephone AC 813 585-7756 )
				**********************
Another week gone by - does time not fly ??
Hopefully next week we will have some more answers re RSMI.
We will also be publishing another article by William L Howard, as the
series that we have been publishing over the past nine issues is now
finished - to which we sincerely thank both William, and the Military
Collector Post - who originally published the series for sharing this
with us.
If you have an item, or series of items that can be used in the KRW then
please Email us NOW with details etc, and we will use it.

Until next week - GOOD DXing

73's
Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND