[HCDX]: WQO767

Update 19 January 1998

	I just spoke with Mr. Joe Blair of Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW)
International Airport. His office is responsible for operating the
two TIS's on 1640 and 1680 at the airport. He is very DXing aware. He
said that he has a stack of reception reports "two-feet high" and he
answers them on his own time. But he is busy and it may take a while
to get to them all. Without my asking, he mentioned receiving my own
reception report. By the way he spoke about this, I would suggest
that DXers hold off sending reports for a while. He also told me
something interesting about their operation. The station is operated
by DFW and all airlines could use its services. However, only
American Airlines have chosen to do so. The system is 100 percent
automatic. A computer gets the flight and gate information from a
"federal" (I assume FAA) computer and translates the information into
voice. As a result, if there is a gate or flight change, the
information is automatically updated without human intervention. He
also noted that the stations are operating with a waiver to operate
with 60 watts because it would require upwards of 30 transmitters to
cover the same area properly using 10 watt transmitters. Finally, the
current set of call letters WQO767 are for a temporary permit, and
the FCC WTB listed call letters of WPLR660 will be used when they
receive official authorization and his office updates the appropriate
.WAV file.

Bill Harms
Elkridge, MD