[HCDX]: [AmFmTvDx] Hi end of the band

This is probably more than you expected, but I think it is of
interest to all concerned.

According to WBAR's web site http://www.brewsternet.com/wbar, they are
"temporarily off the air, subject to review by the FCC and the
Brewster Academy Administration." WBAR is/was a so-called
"free-radiate" radio station located in Brewster, NH. Many people seem
to be confused about this class of stations, but I understand that the
FCC doesn't care that much about these stations getting out as long as
they follow the Part 15 regs and don't interfere with other stations.
Several stations in the class on-the-air, including, KUTE - 1620 Salt
Lake City, UT; WDKW 1630 Dundalk, MD; KSSU Sacramento, (Current
frequency?) etc. "Free radiate" stations are authorized to broadcast
to a "wide area" such as to a college campus "over-the-air" versus on
"carrier current." Unlike carrier current stations, which restrict
their signals to the power lines plus a few feet, these stations are
audible in open areas and sometimes get out even further. Since they
are authorized to operate only on frequencies above 1500 kHz, this
could explain why they sometimes get out on skip. For more information
on this type of station see
http://www.radiosystems.com/am/free.radiate.html.

> Hi folks. I was in NYC tonight about 11PM local time. I was looking
> for that strong signal on 1680 which I believe was suspected to be
> WBAR ( bootlegging? ) from a NYC college station.

As a side line, I can hear WDKW 1630 here all day long with a
fairly good and I am about 15-20 miles away.  They sometimes
broadcast in the the evening and may "get out" an skip.

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland

---
Submissions amfmtvdx@xxxxxxx