Re: [HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Report April 2

Re: [HCDX]: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX Report April 2

Re The South American Handbook: I've used various editions over the
years in trips, including my 1997 trip to Ecuador and always found it
to be a very good travel resource. Because it covers the entire
region, however, it doesn't make much sense to carry the entire book
on a trip to one or two countries. Many people just photocopy the
pages they need at a library. Not all libraries get it every year,
but with a little searching one can find the most recent edition
someplace nearby.

Guidebooks on individual countries are much more
complete sources of information than the South American Handbook. I
highly recommend the Lonely Planet series, myself. Their Ecuador
Travel Surivial Kit had much more information than the SAH's
Ecuadorian section (although there were some things SAH had that
Lonely Planet did not). The Lonely Planet series also has many more
city maps, making their books more useful for DXers looking up street
names.

That said, the strength of the SAH is that it does cover the
entire region. It is the only good region-wide travel guide. If you
can only buy one such book as a DX reference, it should be the SAH.
And, if you are going to be traveling in several countries, the SAH
makes sense. In 1985, I visited eight South American countries
using the SAH. It wouldn't have been practical to lug along eight
different single-country books.

Don Moore   moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx