[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME SIXTEEN - NUMBER FOUR

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME SIXTEEN - NUMBER FOUR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==================  Year Two - 1998  ==================

----- P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND.------

Editor:   Graham J Barclay            Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:   0064-6-835-9106
Fax:      0064-6-835-9186
WWW site:      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885

Assistance kindly provided by:
SRS NEWS, Sweden.  http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
# 67
		VOLUME   SIXTEEN - NUMBER FOUR

APRIL 26th 1998

Hi there Friends

Thank you for reading this weeks edition.

Last week we tried to send down some images ( QSL's), as an experiment,
with our Weekly and have experianced some problems. If you did not get
the Written text of the weekly, or do not get the images, or both, and
if you want them please Email me, and I will send to you again what you
did not get.

We have asked our news server Xtra to carry the newsgroup
"alt.binaries.pictures.radio"
with no luck yet.
PLEASE can any of you send to me at <kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
the "FULL" url address for the newsgroups that you know carry this
section, as we would like to get to see it.
when send the address please list it completely, ie to get a group here
via Xtra is like: news://news.xtra.co.nz/alt.radio.pirate

Your help is appreciatted.

Also we NEED more Free Radio news, if you have some , please share it
with us.

If you operate a station, and would like to have your programmes relayed
FREE-OF-CHARGE via our FM station "SOUNDWAVE FM", please send your
programme tapes etc to: P O Box 3103, Onekawa, Napier, New Zealand.
We are looking for as many stations - especially "Micro-Broadcasters"
to relay, from anywhere in the world.

Now onto other items received over the past week:

			***********************

		BROADCASTER CONVICTED:

Lonnie Kobres, operator of Lutz Community Radio has been convicted
of illegal broadcasting (multiple counts) and he could possibly sent to
prison for as long as 28 years.  This sentence would be a true
miscarraige of justice.
 Lonnie is asking for lawyers to serve as a friend of the court (amicus
curiae).  Also he could use some messages of support too.  If you can
help, drop him a line at

<lkobres@xxxxxxx>

Micro-power broadcasters in the US are planning a national day of action
for May 13, which is the day Lonnie will be sentenced.  Please help him
if you can!

 -Paul Griffin
<Paul_W.Griffin@xxxxxxxx>

[ Editors comment:  PLEASE support our Micro-power friends with your
comments, as they broadcast to preserve the "Right of Freedom of
Speech", and many of the things in life that we take for granted today,
originally came from "Someone" standing up and doing something about
it.]
			************************

		RADIO SPARKS via WRMI:

A special edition of Radio Sparks with interviews recorded at the recent
Shortwave Listeners Winter Fest in Pennsylvania will be broadcast via
WRMI at the following dates and times:

UTC Saturday April 25 at 2000-2100 on 9955 kHz
UTC Sunday  April 26 at 0330-0430 on 9955 kHz
UTC Thursday April 30 at 2300-0000 on 9955 kHz

QSL cards will be available from both Radio Sparks and WRMI for
reception reports on these broadcasts.

Jeff White
<wrmi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

			***********************

		RADIO COCHIGUAZ - SOUTH AMERICA:

The following is the planned transmissions of Radio Cochiguaz for the
next weekend.

Times are UTC:

Fri 1 May, 98.

6980 khz LSB    relaying KIWI RADIO 2345(Fri)-0045 hours.
6950 khz LSB    relaying KIWI RADIO 0100-0200 hours.
6950 khz LSB    relaying RADIO SUE 0215-0315 hours.
                These transmissions directly from somewhere in SAm.

If we have more free time, we will relay more stations, please check
on this weekend in other times the fqs 6950 & 6980 khz.

* Only snail mail will be confirmed with a QSL card. Pls include 2 IRCs
  for the postal fees. Thanks.

Contact addr.:

-Kiwi Radio (direct)
 Box 3103
 Onekawa
 Napier
 New Zealand.
 E-mail: kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx

-Radio Sue (direct)
 Box 3103
 Onekawa
 Napier
 New Zealand
 E-Mail: kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx

-Radio Cochiguaz (via):
 RC
 Casilla 2571
 1000 Buenos Aires
 Argentina
 E-mail: radio.cochiguaz@xxxxxxx      or       rc@xxxxxxxxx

			*****************************

		EUROPEAN MUSIC RADIO

This Sunday will be the last broadcast from European Music Radio until
Oct/Nov.

 We will be broadcasting non-stop through the night of 25th and all day
Sunday 26th  April on 6275kHz in the 48 meter band.

 All written reception report should be sent to:
 EMR, P.O.Box 2727, 6049 ZG, Herten, Netherlands.
 (Please enclose return postage for a reply)

 This weekends programmes are in French, German, Dutch and English.

 John Claude-George (French)

 Mike Anderson (German)

 Peter Verbruggen (Dutch)

 Andy Walker (English)

 Please pass it on to your contacts.

( via  <emr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

			PIRATE DECODERS

Pirate decoders and smartcards are popular here in Sweden as well, and
the police recently broke up a gang in the southern part of the country,
who reportedly had made about 80 thousand dollars selling pirate cards
at about 35 dollars each. (TT)

Last week an organization to fight illegal decoding was organized
here. While it is against Swedish law to market or sell pirate decoder
cards, possession is not. The new organization, called Stop, says
hundreds of thousands of Swedes are illegally viewing pay-TV.
According to Stop, there are 10 to 15 companies in Sweden making or
selling pirare equipment.

Stop also claims program-makers and companies are losing money because
of pirate viewing, but critics say that most pirate cards are probably
for channels that program companies refuse to make available, like
TV1000 in Britain or British Sky Broadcasting in Sweden. ("Svenska
Dagbladet")

Meanwhile, in its May issue, "What Satellite TV", says this year
TV1000 and its rival Canal Plus have used Electronic Counter Measures
up to four times a week to render the pirate cards useless. But, the
magazine says, the pirates have fought back and a number of highly
sophisicated but inexpensive programmers are now available to update
cards quickly and beat the code changes. And it reviews the latest
equipment. ("What Satellite TV")

( via Mediascan/Sweden Calling DXers - 2292 )

			************************

		1998 IRCA CONVENTION:

This is a brief note to let you know the 1998 IRCA Convention will be
held here in Missoula, Montana the weekend of August 14-15-16.  Every
BCB DXer, whether an IRCA member or not, is cordially invited to attend
and to bring the family.

Air service to Missoula is provided by these airlines: Delta, Northwest,
Horizon, Big Sky, and Sky West.  While you're in the area, you might
want to tour nearby Glacier National Park.

Soon I'll prepare a more detailed announcement, including the name of
the host motel with reservations info; a tentative schedule of events;
and the amount of the modest registration fee.  I'll send it to the IRCA
and NRC Publishers for inclusion in the DX Monitor and DX News.

In the meantime, please notify your friends about the scheduled location
and dates to facilitate making travel arrangements.

73, Larry

P.S.  Normally, according to the IRCA Bylaws, the entire membership
approves the convention site by ballot.  Since no bids were received by
the deadline this year, the Board decided to suspend the Bylaws
provision in this special case.

(LG-MT) = Larry Godwin, 2390 Clydes Dale Lane, Missoula, MT 59804, USA.
E-mail address: lbg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Receiver: Hammarlund HQ-150.
Antennas: Sanserino air-core box loop + Kiwa loop.  Phone numbers: days
406-728-3573; eves 406-721-5131.

			*******************

		GRIMETON - SAQ TRANSMISSION:

    " We are planning to start our old Alexanderson alternator on May 28
between 09.15 and 09.45 UTC, for a short message in Morse code on 17,2
kHz and repeat the transmission around 15 UTC.

Bengt Dagas ", Telemuseum Grimeton, Sweden.

Bernhard Hein,
< hein.dx@xxxxxxxxxxx> / HCDX

			**************************

		ADVENTIST  WORLD  RADIO:

SHORTWAVE STATION WWCR GOES SILENT FOR EXOTIC AWR RELAY

        The shortwave station WWCR, near Nashville in Tennessee, has
confirmed that they will leave the air for two brief periods so that the
radio world might hear the exotic new AWR station on the island of
Madagascar.  This, another once-in-a-lifetime event, will occur on the
first two Sundays in May.

        Well known international radio monitor, Jerry Berg, living near
Boston in the United States, initiated the request with WWCR and they
responded over the air indicating that they are giving serious
consideration to this request.  Word has just been received, confirming
this event.

        It is very rare for one radio station to go silent for a period
of
time so that listeners can hear another distant station underneath.  The
only other occasion that the radio world can remember during the past
half century is when a transmitter operated by the Voice of America went
silent for a period of time several years ago.  This was so that
listeners could have the opportunity of hearing a low powered shortwave
station located in the Cook Islands in the South Pacific.

        Even though the AWR outlet on Madagascar is a low powered unit,
yet monitoring information indicates that it is providing a good signal
Madagascar and neighboring areas.   However, it is a temporary unit and
it will be replaced by a transmitter at 25 kW when it is ready for
service.

        The schedule for the WWCR silent period is:-

        Saturday night USA   May 2 & 9; Sunday UTC  May 3 & 10
                0300 - 0330  UTC on 3215 kHz

        Reception reports for the broadcasts from AWR-Madagascar are
invited and should be addressed to Adventist World Radio at Box 383,
Forli 47100, Italy.  Those who hear AWR-Madagascar during this silent
period are also invited to send a card or letter of thanks to WWCR, at
1300 WWCR Ave., Nashville, Tennessee 37218, USA.

        Adventist World Radio acknowledges with gratitude and
appreciation the courtesy that is demonstrated by the management and
staff of station WWCR in thus enabling listeners worldwide to hear our
exotic little relay on the island of Madagascar; and we thank also Jerry
Berg in initiating this request.

Dr. Adrian M. Peterson,<105502.471@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Co-ordinator - International Relations
Adventist World Radio.
			******************************

			CANADIAN DX SITES

I have set up a web site with links to DX sites in Canada and a Message
board for Canadian DX'ers to post at.

I invite everyone (not only we Canucks) to have a look and see if the
sites are of use to them.

Any and all comments are welcome.

The Canadian DX Message Board:

http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi/mb55234

THE CANADIAN DX LINKS PAGE:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/3652/

Shawn
< shawndx@xxxxxxxxxxx> / SWL

			************************

 	THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT RADIO DATABASE:

I tried going to the address  http://www.sct.gob.mx/infraestructura.html
(as listed below) but it told me it was incorrect . I then went to
http://www.sct.gob.mx/  and got back into the above link
/infraestructura.html  which gives you a choice of the AM or FM or TV
database

This link should take you hopefully direct to the AM page
 http://www.sct.gob.mx/infraestructura/am/
You can then select the state you want which then gives you all the AM
stations in that State , Call Letters , Day Power , Night Power ,
Antenna
pattern etc . (Unfortunately it doesn't appear to give any address info)

The SCT, the Mexican government agency responsible for regulation of
radio and TV stations, has posted its database on their Web page:

http://www.sct.gob.mx/infraestructura.html

The TV section does not appear to be 100% complete, I think the TV
Azteca and Televisa web pages list some stations that aren't on the SCT
page.  (but I think the missing stations are very low power relayers)  I
haven't had much chance to absorb this data yet; there may or may not be
some surprises here.

73's
Doug <w9wi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

( Mark Nicholls / Greyliners )
			************************

	TESTS FROM TERACOM / RADIO SWEDEN:

Lasting until the 5th of May, Teracom and Radio Sweden are currently
doing some test with the broadcast to North America at 11.30-12.00 UTC.
The frequencies are 17870 kHz and 15240 kHz.
        We would highly welcome reception reports , especially from
North America, on these broadcasts. Correct reports will be verified by
a special QSL-card and T-shirst and other "promotion material" will be
sent to some for the reporteurs.
It is of high interest for us to know the signal strengt, especially a
comparisement of the two frequencies.

Reports should be sent by e-mail to< mni@xxxxxxxxxx >
or by fax to +46 8 671 2060

73's:
de Magnus Nilsson
( via HCDX )
			****************************

		DX PROGRAMME GUIDE - Updated:

An updeted Guide to DX and Media programmes is now available on the
British DX Club web site at:

http://www.co.umist.ac.uk/BDXC          [BDXC must be in capitals]

It lists all the main DX and media programmes carried on shortwave
worldwide.

Brian K Short <bshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
( via SWL)
			******************

Thanks for another week of Radio info - Please keep it coming.

See you all next week

73's
Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND