[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME EIGHTEEN - NUMBER FOUR

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME EIGHTEEN - NUMBER FOUR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==================  Year Two - 1998  ==================

----- P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND.------

Editor:   Graham J Barclay            Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:   0064-6-835-9106
Fax:      0064-6-835-9186
WWW site:      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885

Assistance kindly provided by:
SRS NEWS, Sweden.  http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
# 76
		VOLUME    EIGHTEEN - NUMBER FOUR

June 28th 1998

Hello again Radio Friends

Another week has gone by, and have you noticed that the older you get,
the faster time goes by.

Onto News recieved here during the past week:

				*****************
			ROCK-IT RADIO:

     Bennie Dingo here with Rock-it Radio.  Hey with all the summer
static out there!!!  On the weekends why don't you just kick back and
listen to Rock-it Radio, over the internet.
     We feature rare and Rockin rarities from the 1950's!! ut hum the
era that just happens to of given birth to Rock & Roll!!!    And thanks
to Palmsradio out there in Corpus Christi Texas we can now be heard over
the internet!
     Here is our Live Broadcast Schedule ---

     Friday Nights ---  8:05 p.m. or so to 10:30 p.m. Pacific Time
     Saturday Nights ---  8:05 p.m. or so to 10:30 p.m. Pacific Time
*  also during our live show don't hesitate to enter the chat room of
Palmsradio by pressing the chat button... we take dedications, and
requests during our live shows also.  And love to chat with all of you
while we broadcast over the net.

Just tune in at:  http://www.palmsradio.com

You can tune into Palmsradio and about 3000 other Radio stations all
around the world just by using the Real Audio program.  Don't have it?
It's easy enough to get... Really ....  Just click to the RA 5.0 icon on
the web page of http://www.palmsradio.com

If you want to hear Rock-it Radio past shows... you can do that too!

just click to our web page at http://www.palmsradio.com/rockittext.htm

If you like good old fashioned Rock and Roll!!!  and the rare stuff too,
give us a listen you may just like it!!!

                                    All the best!!

                                     Bennie Dingo
                                     Rock-it Radio

P.S. those that were on last week and missed us ... sorry we have been a
bit on the sickly side.... but we are back with a rockin vengeance now!

e-mail and comments are always welcome:  our e mail address---
Rockitradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

				******************

			FREE RADIO BERKELEY:

Well, this week it's two steps forward and one step back. We just had a
great radio conference in San Francisco over the weekend...lots of cool
workshops and inspiration from the micro-power community,
then today...BAM! KABLOOY!!!...Judge Claudia Wilken rules in favor of
the FCC and grants them an injunction to prohibit Stephen Dunifer and
the whole Free Radio Berkeley crew from broadcasting.
As of now, we've met with our lawyers From the NLG/CDC and held an
emergency meeting with interested parties.

As of now, the group decided to take the station off the air, but the
real question is..."What are we going to do in the long run?". We've got
lots of creative ideas on how to fight this thing and just about
everybody is in favor of defying the FCC. Unfortunately, we are very
much aware of what measures the federal government might take against
us. Can you say W-A-C-O ?
In the next few days we'll be preparing some sort of group statement and
I'll update you as soon as I can.
If you have any further questions feel free to email me
or call (510) 848-1455.
-Paul Griffin

     Free Radio Berkeley, Berkeley's only low power community radio
station, has been shut down by the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC), but the fight for free speech on the public airwaves continues.

     The FCC, ignoring its mission to regulate radio broadcasting "in
the
public interest", has developed rules that effectively concentrate radio
ownership in the hands of large corporations while leaving the public
excluded.  The national free radio movement is challenging these FCC
rules.
 As Robert McChesney, professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
stated in his affidavit for Free Radio Berkeley's legal case, "by
failing to accommodate the creation and use of new micro radio
technologies that are simple and inexpensive to operate, the FCC has
failed to meet its obligation to establish a licensing scheme that meets
the public interest."

     This injunction, which represents the latest attempt by the FCC to
dodge the core issue of free speech, is based on a legal technicality.
In
fact, Federal Judge Claudia Wilken in her June 16th order explicitly
states
that "this ruling is not based on the merits of [Free Radio Berkeley's]
criticisms of the FCC's refusal to license micro broadcasters."

     "The government has failed to show",Judge Wilken previously
wrote,"whether the FCC's complete prohibition of micro radio is
constitutional..."

     Free Radio Berkeley was operating 24 hours a day with 100 volunteer
community members on an unused frequency.  The station's unlicensed
broadcasts were an act of civil disobedience to effect a change in the
FCC's rules so that Free Radio Berkeley and the hundreds of other micro
power stations across the country could be legally licensed to
broadcast.

     Until 1978, the FCC licensed stations operating at under 100 watts,
or
"Class D" stations.  In that year, corporations successfully lobbied the
FCC to eliminate Class D licenses, largely because they represented a
threat to the monopoly that media corporations have continually enjoyed.
Even today, the FCC licenses 10 watt "translator" stations; these
micropower stations are used to re-broadcast a signal over large
mountains or other obstructions to communities below.  There is no
technical difference between these "translator" stations and micropower
stations; the only difference is that the licensed translators cannot
originate programming.

     The FCC has never presented a good reason why micropower stations
should not be licensed.  There is, however, a good reason why they
should:
It's called the First Amendment.  Free Radio Berkeley and micropower
stations across the nation continue in their fight for legal access to
the
airwaves.

For more information, contact Free Radio Berkeley at 510-594-8082
or visit our website at www.freeradio.org
The following members of Free Radio Berkeley are available for
interviews:

Paul Griffin 510-848-1455
Sue Supriano 510-540-8850
Tracy James 510-420-1204
Jennifer Barrios 510-845-0942

				************************

					SWRS:

The "Special Summer Show" is ended !!!

All the stations was on the air as per our schedule and the propagation
was quite good during the week-end.

So, we wait for your verifications and also we are looking for the new
programs to be broadcasted after summer holidays.

BTW, we will broadcast also in July and August, but not on regular
basis.
			--------------------------------

SWRS TEST ON 21 m.b.

Friday/Saturday/Sunday June 26th/27th/28th, 1998 testing new site
on 13.960 kHz USB
- 20.00-24.00 UTC on Friday
- 00.00-06.00 UTC on Saturday (probably)
- 06.00-24.00 UTC on Saturday
- 00.00-06.00 UTC on Sunday (probably)
- 06.00-12.00 UTC on Sunday

We ask for your reports to <swrs@xxxxxxx> .
More details on our home page !

Please always try some kHz up/down if there is QRM on the exact
frequency !!!

SHORT WAVE RELAY SERVICE
Broadcasting facilities for free radio
address  : Postfach 220342 - 42373 Wuppertal - Germany
e-mail   : swrs@xxxxxxx
home page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/7568

				***********************

			RADIO EAST COAST HOLLAND:

Now I am ready with my new studio, and will do a test on short wave on
3920/30 KHZ on 76 meter band.
The studio is be changed and I will do a test to check if everything
works in the studio.
For reaction you can write a e-mail to my adress <rnagtegl@xxxxxx>
 or to  P O .Box 663 7900 AR hoogeveen(the same as votn and also from
alfa lima int.).
The test transmission I will do is on Saturday evening/night on 27-06-98
starting on 22.00 utc time.
You can also call me then for a reception report to the next g.s.m.tel
nr =0654971170 (only that evening time).

- dj Ronald.
				*******************

     NEW ZEALAND MINISTRY WARNS MICRO-BROADCASTER:

June 23ed 1998 - Otago Daily Times page 14

		 "Plains FM operator makes defiant stand"
		" Ministry warns broadcaster".

A Christchurch radio operator is willing to defy the government, which
has threatened to stop him transmitting Plains FM programmes all over
the world.
Electronics engineer Bede  Ives has been transmitting the community
programmes by shortwave from his home for several years,  although the
government had been aware of his using 7.1mhz frequency in the 39- metre
band without authority.
Last March, however, the Ministry of Commerce, which polices the use of
the air waves  asked him to stop the transmissions. After further
consultation, an official warning was posted.

If he continues, Mr Ives faces a fine between $30,000  and 200,000.

Although Mr Ives acknowledges he is broadcasting without government
authority, he still believes he is in the right.
He cites the United Nations Human rights Act, which stipulates that
anyone can use the media to communicate ,educate, inform or impart
knowledge.

 He says he will play chicken with them and they'll have to get a search
warrant and police as he is not going to let them in the door,he said.
But he intends to seek legal advice.

( via David Miller )
				**********************

				RADIO 510 INT:

THIS WEEKS SHOW
This weekend you can listen to a great show from RADIO JOYSTICK.
Plenty of talk and nice music.Don't forget to send a report too!

CHANGE OF SCHEDULE
Very soon we will be cutting back our airtime.This is only for a short
while until things pick up.More details will follow.

NEW STATION NEW STATION NEW STATION
Coming soon you can hear RADIO NIGHTMARE (feeling scared?)from Germany.
Should be ready to hit the airwaves in a few weeks time.

( Heard via IRRS - SW Italy )

				********************

			TRANSATLANTIC RADIO - HOLLAND:

Do not forget Saturday
 6950  KHz
 2300 hrs cet

<trans@xxxxxx>
				***********************

				RADIO ZODIAC TESTS:

RADIO ZODIAC INTERNATIONAL is planning a marathon test transmission this
Saturday
starting at 23.00 UTC
and the test will last until sunday at approx. 08.00 UTC.
Frequency will be 5800 kHz!
Usual Wuppertal maildrop.

				**********************

			CHINESE 702 SERIES RADIOS

        I first saw this radio in a display case at the Signal Corps
Museum at
Fort Monmouth back in the 1970's. Supposedly captured in Vietnam, it was
a set that I had not seen as of Sept 1968 when I left so I concluded
that it must have entered service with the NVA after 1968. The set
looked to be about the size of a carton of cigarettes, was displayed out
of the case and did not have any accessories.

        I recently picked up two of these sets.  One is labeled 702D and
the other had no data plate but appeared to be an earlier version of the
same set. I concluded that it must have been a 702, 702A,B,or C
version.  I will begin with a description of the set which I believe is
the older set.

        The set comes in an aluminum case and is 10 " long over-all, by
3 1/2 wide by 2 1/3 deep.The case has a steel D ring attached so it can
be attached to a set of pack straps. The bottom of the set has two
screws which must be removed, allowing the removal of the cover, which
is then turned and allowed to follow the entire set as it is slid out of
the case through the top. The radio is built on a heavy guage aluminum
chassis that was stamped out of a sheet of aluminum.  The chassis is
fastened to the top panel.by 8 rivets. The top panel contains the
antenna connector, a ceramic like socket to which an antenna is screwed
in. There is a main tuning control which is a friction drive to the
variable capacitor. The variable capacitor also has a dial with
graduations which appear under a small window. There is also a push/pull
switch which serves as an on/off switch.

        Below the top cover is the tuned circuit, consisting of a main
variable capacitor with two stator plates and three rotor plates and two
more much smaller air variable capacitors.  One can be adjusted only
after the set is removed from the case. The other small variable
capacitor can be accessed from the out side of the case by a small screw
driver. It is connected to the antenna. The coil is wound on a flat
piece of clear plastic with a cross brace in the form of a X and the
second part of the coil  is wound on a circular piece of clear plastic
mounted on top of the X form. The coil is 6 turns of 16 guage silver
colored wire with the antenna coil being 4 turns of 22 guage wire. Above
the coil is a press down switch which is accessable from the outside of
the case. I assume it was for transmitting a code signal. Base on the
fact that most Chinese Military sets operate between 2 to 12 MC, I
conclude this set is in the same range.

        Below the elements of the tuned circuit, was the radio proper.
The older of the two sets has RCA 3S4 tubes. There were two of these
tubes mounted in sockets with metal spring loaded shields.From right to
left, there were the one tube and a large paper capacitor, then a multi
pole relay, then a potted transformer, the second tube and another paper
capacitor and a final un-potted transformer. Below these or what might
be called the underside of the chassis were resistors, capacitors and
what I assumed to be an RF choke. The capacitors looked like the
standard 1940 mica capacitors and or molded/paper capacitors. I counted
four resistors, three of which were 1 watt size and one was a half watt
size.There were five mica capacitors and one .05 MFD  molded capacitor,
which was made by the Sing Kee Condensor
Works. These were either soldered directly to the tube sockets or to two
terminal strips. The other two capacitors which were on top of the
chassis were too difficult to examine for size and manufacturing
specifications.

        Two rubber covered cables were wired to the circuit and fed out
through the base to a power plug  or the mike/headphone combinaton. The
power cable terminated in a plug that was then plugged into a battery.
The battery plug had been broken open, and three wires were then
soldered to it, apparently in an effort to get power from a US battery
of the required voltage.

         The other cable was connected to something that was missing.
What appeared to be a mike with a push to talk switch was partially
soldered on (one of three wires were soldered and the others were not
connected to anything)  The three wires to the mike  were not rubber
covered and appeared to be an attempt to make a field repair. The mike
that was with the set, resembled an old style. The cover was held on by
three screws.
Removal of the cover revealed a badly deteriorated rubber gasket.
Removing what was left of it, the mike appears to be a standard carbon
telephone mike. Below this were to lever switches which were controlled
by the PTT switch. The switch brought the mike into a circuit and the
other switch probably operated the relay, RY 1. The three wires that
came in did not appear to be field modifications or were a high quality
soldering job. They were also braided so it is possible they came from
the factory that way.

        It was my opinion that this was supposed to be both a receiver
and
transmitter. Pressing a PTT switch would activate the relay and "re
wire"
the circuit. Most probably in the receive mode the one tube was a
detector and the other an amplifier. In the transmit mode, one was the
oscillator and the other the modulator.

        Not having the accessories, a power source and with broken
components, it was impossible to do more with the set.  I assume that it
was adequate for short range communications. It also had some problems
and/or design flaws which were corrected in later versions.

        Numerous changes occured between the set described above and the
702 D version.  The first and most obvious change was the elimination of
the hard wired battery and headset/mike cables.  These were replaced by
sockets and the battery cable must have had two plugs, one on each end.
The mike/headset also had a plug.  This change made it easier to remove
the set from the case to work on.

        The open transformer was replaced by a potted transformer. I
assume that they exhausted their supply of old style transformers while
making the first radios and by the time of the D series, all
transformers were potted.

        The area of the tuned circuit has been changed. The variable
capacitor in the antenna circuit has been eliminated, as has the
variable capacitor across the coil. The latter having been replaced by a
smaller adjustable capacitor rather than the air variable of the older
set. The main tuning capacitor remains the same. The tone transmitter
switch has also been removed, thus making  the outer case easier to
manufacture.  A small light bulb has been added to illuminate the tuning
dial. Otherwise the tuning curcuit remains the same. A large coil has
also been relocated from under the chassis to a position nearer the top
of the set.

        The underside of the chassis has also been "streamlined" and all
parts are easier to get to. There are 8 mica capacitors, still of the
1940 style but with numbers rather than a dot color code. and 10
resistors. RY 1, the relay has been changed. The older set had two
contacts and the newer one has four contacts. In the newer set, the
realay appears to be adjustable and there is a screw adjustment on the
top.  This appears to be a factory adjustment as the screw is painted
fast. This set also had tubes of Chinese manufacture.

        Without having a technical manual, schematics or necessary
accessories, it is not possible to do more than describe the sets and
draw some general conclusions.  These sets appear to have been inspired
by the WW II BC 611 for size and intended purpose and the circuits
inspired by the Japanese Type 94-6, only because of the use of two tubes
and two transformers. This however is not a Japanese invention and the
circuits or concepts were well known by the late 1930's.

        The changes in the power cord and headset/mike appears to have
been prompted by experience in the field. It may also reflect the fact
that the cords and cables suffered damage in rough handling and that it
was easer to supply new cables than to turn the set in to have the hard
wired cables replaced.

        This set would appear to have been developed in the late 1950s
and in useduring the 1960s. By the 1970s transistors were coming into
use and this set was phased out in favor of some ther  radio.  For it's
time frame and intended use, the set appears to be adequate and up to
the task.  Operational testing may prove otherwise.

William L. Howard
 LTC  Armor USAR(Retd)

         THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE TECHNICAL INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
e-mail <wlhoward@xxxxxxx> Telephone AC 813 585-7756

Until next week good Broadcasting and DXing

73's
Graham J Barclay
KIWI RADIO - NEW ZEALAND
Email:	kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx