[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME NINETEEN - NUMBER ONE

[HCDX]: THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY VOLUME NINETEEN - NUMBER ONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE KIWI RADIO WEEKLY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==================  Year Two - 1998  ==================

----- P O BOX 3103, ONEKAWA, NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND.------

Editor:   Graham J Barclay            Email:  kiwiradio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone:   0064-6-835-9106
Fax:      0064-6-835-9186
WWW site:      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9885

Assistance kindly provided by:
SRS NEWS, Sweden.  http://www.lls.se/jal/index.html
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
# 77
		VOLUME    NINETEEN - NUMBER ONE

July 5th 1998

Hello again Radio Friends

We are still looking for items of interest, if you have any please
Email us the details - Thanks

Onto other news this week:

				*********************

			               "SEIZED!!!!"

Saturday, June 27th at 10:30 am the server of Islands in the Net (Isole
nella Rete, an Italian non-profit association that offers communication
spaces to social centres, free radios and collectives of the movement)
has
been seized by the Postal Police in Bologna for allegedly defamatory
material posted on its system.

Starting from now, and who knows for how long, the server at
http://www.ecn.org is down, its web pages are no longer available online
and all its e-mail services that permitted in the last years the
construction of a strong solidarity network among several self-organized
collectives are shut down. The seizure took place in the office of the
Internet provider hosting the server, ordered by the State Prosecutor of
Vicenza Paolo Pecori and was executed by officers of the Postal Police
of Bologna.

It is a 'preventive' seizure, claiming the crime of 'prolonged
defamation'
toward a travel agency in Milan. The reason for the seizure would be the
web publication of a message posted by an Italian collective, accurate
transcription of a printed flyer publicly distributed. This message was
first sent to a mailing list (cslist) hosted by the server of Islands in
the Net and then published on the web through the usual automatic
procedure.

The flyer (and the message posted on the mailing list and on the web
aswell) claimed that Turban Italia Srl, a travel agency in Milan, had
strong financial ties to former Turkish Prime Minister Tansu Ciller,
then
suggesting a boycott of the agency services in solidarity with Kurdistan
people persecuted by Turkish government.

Although the seizure order still does not explicitly mention any person
formally charged with the crime of defamation, the judge that ordered
this action evidently holds Islands in the Net liable for the content of
anything hosted by its Internet server. The liability of the providers
for
the contents they carry is actually a very hot topic worldwide still far
from a viable solution.

However, the main direction is that Internet providers should NOT
beinghold liable for the contents they carry, at least on grounds both
of technical feasibility and commercial suitability.

The order of seizure of the server (and its entire content),
furthermore,seems exceptionally harmful because it hits a service used
by
hundreds of users in Italy and abroad, completely unaware of the events
that conducted to the charge. Now those users are suddenly deprived of
their communication tool, without any notice or explanation. Their
rights
have been clearly violated.

We are currently closely studying the situation in order to find the
best solutions to what seems to us an extremely serious event that will,
in
any case, be known far and wide.

thee-mail addresses hosted by the server are down. We are working to set
up a backup server as soon as possible.

For more info and the latest news:

http://strano.net/news
http://geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/2184/inr.html
http://www.comune.roma.it/COMUNE/bbs/avana/inr/
http://www.zzz.it/~lutom/inr
http://www4.iol.it/decoder/inr

				**********************

		VOICE OF RUSSIA - EMPLOYEE CONTRACTS:

I just got off the phone in a two hour conversation with a source that I
consider reliable and I have been told of some very disturbing news
regarding foreign employee contracts for announcers at the Voice of
Russia that are due to be cancelled over a period of time. There are
approx.  30 foreign  announcers (of all language divisions)  that are
due
to have their employment contracts cancelled over a period of time this
year. None of the contracts of any Russian personnel are on the hit
list.

There are some annnouncers in the English Language service that have
recieved letters stating various termination dates for their contracts,
and in certain cases they have been told also to vacate their apartments
by certain dates in the housing that the radio has provided for them as
those that have the apartments have been told that the building
management supposedly needs the apartment space.

What concerns me at this point is that someone you all know, Estelle
Winters has been notified that her contract is among the ones slated for
cancellation. She is the host of "Timelines" on VOR and those of you who
attended the SWL WInterfest in Kulpsville heard her give a very
entertaining speech at the Banquet. My contact says that if Estelle
leaves, there will be NO ONE hired to replace her and that "Timelines"
as we know it will come to an end.

Tiimes are tough in the radio industry now. Those of us that have been
listeners to VOR and especially to Estelle's programs over the years
know of her interesting and delightful features every week that she
does. Anyone of you that listened to the recent series of shows from St.
Petersburg, Russia will know what I mean. Money is tight
everywhere...but we as listeners MUST NOW ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO
SOMEONE THAT IS AN ASSET TO THE VOICE OF RUSSIA.

Estelle has been employed there since 1990. It is up to us as listeners
to let  Voice of Russia know that something must be done to keep Estelle
in their employment. Please, if you would be so kind as to take a few
minutes to write a letter to Voice of Russia to express your concern
with Estelle's contract status and to say how much you have enjoyed
listening to her over the years, I feel would be influential in
reversing any personnel decision that is on the cards for now.

My contact was unclear as to when some of the foreign English-language
announcers will have to leave. But the letters have been mailed out
within the past two weeks, and those that are affected have recieved
letters indicating various dates on which their contracts (and in some
cases apartment housing) will be  terminated.

Also, if you wish, you can send your letters to the VOR at their email
address which is:

                        letters@xxxxxx

I know we all lead busy lives...please, take a few minutes to express
your concern to VOR that Estelle must stay and her popular program also
must continue on the schedule. It will be a tremendous loss for us as
radio listeners if this bright weekend light is suddenly turned off,
never to be heard on VOR again.

( via Maryanne D Kehoe / rec.radio.shortwave.)

[ Editors note:  This is an opinion from a Concerned V.O.R listener, and
is NOT the opinion of The Voice of Russia. ]
				************************

	NATIONAL DAY OF FREE SPEECH ON THE AIRWAVES:

People in the micro-power radio community are declaring July 4, 1998 to
be a national day of free speech on the airwaves.
In the San Francisco -  Bay area, tune in to 104.1 FM.
In other parts of the country, check out the area between 6 -7 mhz on
the shortwave band.
Also check out places on the FM band where your stereo indicator doesn't
light up, meaning a monophonic signal. There will be "free
radio" broadcasts popping up just about everywhere, so tune in!
-Paul Griffin

				********************

GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 98-29, July 2, 1998

WORLD OF RADIO SPECIAL ON AWR WAVESCAN VIA WRMI.

Wavescan #183  contains WOR. We're scheduled to air it UT Saturday, July
11 at  0330 and UT Monday, July 13 at 0030 (and perhaps other times as
well) on 9955 (Jeff White, WRMI, July 1, WORLD OF RADIO 947)

				**********************

THE ONTARIO DX ASSOCIATION DISCONTINUES ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY

Effective immediately the Ontario DX Association will discontinue the
Associate Member category that the club has used since its inception in
1974.

Until now Full Member status in the ODXA was reserved only for those
members who were resident in the Province of Ontario. Only Full Members
could contribute loggings to "DX Ontario" (our monthly journal) columns.
Loggings from all members will now be accepted by all "DX Ontario"
columns.

The ODXA Bylaw will be amended and submitted for ratification at the
1998 Annual General Meeting.

The Ontario DX Association is Canada's largest club of shortwave
listeners and radio enthusiasts, founded in 1974, and incorporated under
the laws of the Province of Ontario.

For more information, contact:

Ontario DX Association
P.O. Box 161, Station A
Willowdale, Ontario
M2N 5S8 Canada
Tel. 1-416-293-8919
Fax 1-416-293-6603
E-mail: 70400.2660@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.durhamradio.ca/odxa/

				***********************

			ANTENNEX 15 OUT NOW !!!

The July 1998 new issue number 15 is now in the Library! Here's what is
in store this month:

1) An Uncommonly Good Vertical by Ted Hart, W5QJR
2) The Slicer, a 2-Meter Mobile for SSB by Bill Nogues, W5GVE
3) My Four Loops-Ups & Downs by Ben Smith, W4KSY
4) The L-Antenna, by LB Cebik, W4RNL
5) Visualizing Antenna Fields by Ron Nott, K5YNR
6) Build a Balun by Richard Morrow, K5CNF

Also, 4 new columns: Antenna Modeling (Putting Sources Where You can
Find Them), From the Shack (Smart Tuners for Stealth Antennas), Ham
WorkShop (No Holes Roof Mounts for Houses) and new, new, new Stone's
Throw! (We Aim to Please II). All at:

http://www.antennex.com/

Hope you enjoy this month's issue!

...antenneX Online: http://www.antennex.com/

				********************

		THE SPANISH RADIO IN MEDIUM WAVE

Contain historical data, the radio at present, data of each Autonomous
Community, radio networks and hourly of local and regional programs,
technical data, links, draft of a report, English-Spanish dictionary.

Individual chip with many data of each station. All this with images and
Spanish music sound.

All in Spanish.

Naturally it is in construction and permanent update.

I wait that it enjoyments.

http://www.teleline.es/personal/jas84756

				******************

			RADIO 510 INTERNATIONAL:

This weekend you can hear a special two hour show of RADIO STARDUST
INTERNATIONAL.Plenty of good music and interesting talk.
Please note that next week our schedule will be changing.More details
will follow.

WEB PAGE UPDATE

Next week we have a new page ready for grabs.Sorry about the long delay,
but I've been busy with other things.Could it be the football?

Stevie
<steven.willers@xxxxxxxx>
 Radio 510 International http://www.radio510.org

Until next week