[HCDX]: For Jean and the NF bunch...

This is from an e-mail QSL from Steve Napier at ABC Perth...

As you identify 6WF broadcasts on a 50Kw transmitter which helps it's
sometimes extended coverage.
However it's located on a fairly dry section of ground in the Perth suburb
of Hamersley which doesn't help it's propagation and a large earth mat is
required to improve it's ERP.

In the last few years the transmitters at this site have been upgraded to
solid state Nautels which although much more efficient than valve Tx's are
more prone to interference due to varying levels of VSWR as caused by
changing moisture  levels. This occasionally results in it switching to a
smaller standby antenna with a resultant drop of output level of over 6db.

The Hamersley site also carries 2 other transmitters which share the same
mast as 6WF.
6RN (Radio National) is a national networked mostly talks format service
which is delayed  here at our
         studio complex by 2 hours for time correction in Western Australia
and broadcasts on 810 Khz at
         25Kw.
6PB  is a 10Kw service on 585 Khz which broadcasts the sittings of the
Federal Australian parliament
         in real time when they're sitting and a continuous news & sports
service when they're not.

Like all Australian capital cities ABC in Perth has 5 radio services.
In addition to the 3 listed above we have 2 FM services :

1. Classic FM  which broadcasts a classic/fine music format in stereo FM on
97.7Mhz at 100Kw ERP
2. Triple J which is a youth rock network often playing non mainstream
rock/modern music on 99.3Mhz at
    100Kw ERP.

Both the FM services are national and are delayed 2 hours to time correct
for Perth/WA.
This doesn't mean we don't have any local radio on the ABC however as 6WF
broadcasts from our Perth studios from 0500 till 1800 each week day.
Western Australia (WA) also has an extensive ABC regional network with 6
studios scattered around the state which broadcast breakfast and morning
programs from 0600 till 1100.

The program you were listening to is a national program from Sydney which
we have recently decided to broadcast in "real time" (live) to allow WA
listeners access to the phone in component  of this show.
The presenter is Tony Delroy who has run this time slot for about 10 years
now and captured quite a following amongst night time radio audiences.
If the skip is in from Australia you could pick up Tony's program between
midnight & 0400 NZ time weeknights on any of the 50 or so AM Tx's which
would be carrying it around Aus although the  main city Tx's are the ones
which would most likely get through.

I'll send back your card with an envelope attached containing our ABC
frequency list although you can obtain most of this info (plus a whole lot
more !) from the ABC website which is :
www.abc.net.au

Hope this is of some help.

Regards & best wishes,

Steve Napier
Master Control Perth

Paul Ormandy, 33 Greta Street, Oamaru, New Zealand, paulorm@xxxxxxxx

Join me for the latest tuning tips for the South Pacific on Radio New
Zealand
International during "Mailbox", fortnightly broadcasts, Mondays 2135 UTC on
17675kHz, Wednesdays 1735 UTC on 6145kHz and Fridays 1930 UTC on 9875kHz.

Next Broadcasts commence August 17th and 31st repeated on following days as
above.

And on AWR's "Wavescan" commencing the third Sunday of the month (see
www.awr.org for frequency schedule), repeated at 0800z and 2000z on ZLXA,
New Zealand's Radio Reading Service, Levin, the third Monday of the month,
on 1602kHz, 3935kHz and 7290kHz.