[HCDX]: RE: hard-core-dx V4 #697 bad conditions?

[HCDX]: RE: hard-core-dx V4 #697 bad conditions?

> hard-core-dx         Thursday, October 1 1998         Volume 04 :
> Number 697
>
> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:27:47 +0200
> From: "John Svendsen" <jsvendse@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [HCDX]: Conds ??
>
> Anyone else except me experiencing bad conds lately ??
> - --
> QTH: Sandtorg 68'41''N - 16'32'' E
> End of hard-core-dx V4 #697
> ***************************
	[Bob Foxworth]
	An article in yesterday's local Tampa paper said that a massive
eruption on
	a star, distance 20,000 light-years sent a pulse of energy which
"illuminated
	the night time ionosphere as if it were daytime" here on earth.
This caused a
	magnetic disturbance which I gather was like an aurora. I am
paraphrasing
	from memory, I believe it said the pulse hit at 5.22 AM (time
zone not clear)
	on 27 September. It was confirmed by multiple space satellite
recordings.
	The article said these things happen occasionally, in different
parts of the
	galaxy, and it's just now we have the technology to detect them.
If one happened
	in our local zone i.e. 50 light years or so it could possibly
kill off life on earth,
	as I understand from reading other sources of information.

	Now we can stop worrying about errant asteroids....