Sv: [HCDX]: DVB test broadcasts - Burma vs. Myanmar

Sv: [HCDX]: DVB test broadcasts - Burma vs. Myanmar

> Emne: [HCDX]: DVB test broadcasts
> Dato: 12. oktober 1998 22:33
>
> Due to the confusion on the frequency for the last test broadcasts (they
> took place on 15.725 kHz instead of the announced 13.840 kHz), we have
> rescheduled the Test Broadcasts for the Democratic Voice of Burma (DVB)

Ahhhh ... those abbriviations. DVB nowadays stands for "Digital Video
Broadcasting" ... so I was a bit surprised to see the heading "DVB test
broadcasts" in this conference. Hi !

Anyway .. just out of curiosity: How come that this oppositional group is
using the name "Burma". After all the old name of the country was Myanmar
which was used by all of the people till the British colonialists decided
to rename the country to "Burma".

The current government changed the name back to Myanmar several years ago -
recognized by the UN and everyone else except for some Western journalists.

I am certainly no expert on these issues so please correct me if I have
misunderstod anything.

I dont want to become political and I have no sympathy for the regime in
Myanmar, but I find it foolish and childish to continue using "Burma" for a
country which IS called Myanmar. After all noone says "British Honduras"
because they dont like the government of Belize !!

Best of 73's
Stig Hartvig Nielsen