Re: Sv: [HCDX]: Re: Passport to World Band Radio

At 20:25 10/28/98 +0100, you wrote:

>> >Then this might be an excellent opportunity to learn another language!
>> >It is amazing to see how certain DXers have so little respect for other
>> >languages.
>> >If the Myanmar people (or government for that matter) prefer to have
>their
>> >country
>> >named Myanmar in all languages, well why not do so?
>> >73
>> >Herman.
>>
>> I respect languages other than English even to such an extent that I do
>not
>> expect the name of my country to be spelled "U-n-i-t-e-d S-t-a-t-e-s o-f
>> A-m-e-r-i-c-a", nor even abbreviated "USA", when used in a message, book,
>> newspaper, etc., written in German, French, Italian, Spanish or Burmese.
>> To expect that would be extremely arrogant.  Nor do I expect someone
>> writing in Burmese to use my alphabet instead of theirs when referring to
>> my country.
>

>Now if the governments of each country of this planet aren't "allowed" to
>decide what the name of their country is - then who should decide it.
>Western journalists???
>
>May I bring in the fact that the UN approved/recognized the change of name
>from Burma into Myanmar at the end of June 1989 (acc. to an old issue of
>Frendx). In most "official" papers now you'll only see Myanmar (in
>international communication - telephone, mail etc) whereas most journalists
>(in Denmark at least) continue to use the name "Burma" because they dont
>favour the current government of Myanmar.
>
>I dont favour the current government of Sri Lanka, so I think I'll start
>refering to this country as Ceylon :-)
>
>And we may soon see people referring to Dahomey, British Honduras, Upper
>Volta, Rhodesia etc.
>
>I am rather pleased with the fact that WRTH as well as PWBR choose to use
>the correct names of various countries - incl. Myanmar which happens to be
>named Myanmar since 1989..

None of this appears to me to be responsive.  But, it's good to see Denmark
spelled correctly in an English language message. :-)

DanF
(goes back to trying to solve an interference problem, and to wandering if
Djakarta will be coming through in the morning)

+ Dan Ferguson           K4VOA          Northern Virginia   +
+ df@xxxxxxxxxx                                             +
+ Wanted:                                                   +
+ HEATH SB-620 wired for 3395 kHz                           +
+         Knight R100 Receiver (not R100A)                  +
+         Barlow Wadley XCR-30 Receiver                     +