Re: [HCDX]: 60 years ago to-day...

As far as I know, all Columbia Broadcasting stations and
affiliates did transmit the WOW in Oct 30 1938. The famous
chaos, often exaggerated in memory and history was caused
by the people who were listening to ABC:s famous "America
Dancing" big band show - the programme that brought Benny
Goodman into fame - and tuned to CBS after the dance
show ended. During the WOW there were numerous announcements
saying that this is Mercury Theatre On The Air with the
dramatization of War Of The Worlds by H.G.Wells. In the
end of the broadcast the CBS management and police crowded
the studio, demanding premature end of the show, but
Orson - smelling that this was his night in history - denied.
Self-ironic notes of the spectacle can be seen for instance
in Welles' 1975 film "F For Fake", which incidentally
was shown on TV here in Finland a couple of days ago.

I just downloaded the realaudio version on the Old Time Radio
webpage www.otr.com, size 6 Megs. However, dowloading
automatically ended after 5.44 Megs. I have to check out yet
if something went wrong, or was this just a practical
Halloween trick...

Jari Lehtinen
Lahti Finland