[HCDX]: Hauser's SW/DX 98-48

        GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 98-48, Nov 5, 1998

{Items from this and all our other reports may be reproduced and
re-reproduced ONLY providing full credit be maintained at all
stages}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 964. See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Wor964.html

WORLD OF RADIO. WWCR gave us a new time from Oct 31, Saturday
1300 on 5070.

BELGIUM. It's surprising that RVI's new relay via Bonaire to NAm
at 2230 on 13670 does not start with news, on Sunday or any other
day. At least they could replay the 1730 news (Joe Hanlon, PA,
Nov 4, WORLD OF RADIO 964) Complain to their Mailbag show which
airs Sunday at 2230.0 (Hauser)

CANADA. Coinciding more or less--or exactly? with the B-98 season,
RCI has introduced new arrangements of its musical jingles. I had
been meaning to remark how tiresome the old ones were getting
(Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 964)

COSTA RICA. RFPI Mailbag from Oct 30 mentioned that Spanish
service has now resumed, and heard Tue Nov 2 after 1300 on 21460-
USB only; so fewer repeats of English to be heard in mornings
(Glenn Hauser, OK)

CZECH REPUBLIC. Radio Prague will continue to broadcast their
Saturday concert after all. I heard their jazz program on Oct. 31
at 1400 on 21745.  Crystal clear reception.  A Saturday morning
delight! (Ivan Grishin, Nov 2, WORLD OF RADIO 964)

HUNGARY. Are you aware that Budapest now listed for 11mb - 25700
1100-1300 to Australia in Hungarian // 17670 and 21560? However,
only audible on 17 and 21 MHz here, 25700 may be a "wish list"
assignment! (Bob Padula, Oct 27, WORLD OF RADIO 964) 1300
is around sunrise here; must check FTTT (Glenn Hauser, OK)

IRAN [non] and IRAQ [non]. RFE/RL LANGUAGE/FREQUENCY SCHEDULE

[Radio Free Iraq]   ARABIC   (STARTS 30 OCT 98)
                    0300-0400   5965   7110   7275   9740
                    1600-1700   6130   9540   9850  11915

[RFE/RL Farsi svc]  FARSI   (STARTS 30 OCT 98)
                    0430-0530   6025   6150   9585   9850
                    1600-1700   6040   9680  11730  12025
(IBB website via John Norfolk, WORLD OF RADIO 946)

NEW ZEALAND. I heard RNZI on 11905 at 0500-0706 Nov. 2 with
excellent reception. They are listed as staying on 17675 until
0706 as of Oct. 25, so this may be a revision. I hope so! (Ivan
Grishin, Ont, WORLD OF RADIO 964)

ST. HELENA [non]. From: "Chuck Putz" radioeurogeek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Mr. Hauser, Attached is one of our QSLs for our 24 Oct
broadcast. I saw your reported reception in SW/DX 98-47, which
was copied to me by a friend. Congrats on getting the point of
the show, and some of the jokes. Even  my partner didn't
understand exactly what I was doing.  Radio EuroGeek will be on
several times between now and next October.  Since it looks like
there will be no RSH day, there will be a Radio EuroGeek Day. We
will keep you posted.  I'll guarantee that it will be worth the
effort to listen in, and at least as entertaining as RSH.
73, (CP = Chuck Putz, R. Eurogeek, Oct 27)

And indeed was a very nice color electronic card showing some
island--SH? from a few km at sea, refrigerator box (?) floating
in foreground, with legend "Broadcasting from a refrigerator box
somewhere off the coast of St Helena, you're listening to Radio
EuroGeek." 24 October 1998, 1730-1850 UTC - 11092.5 kHz USB -
QSL #8 (Hauser)

SWITZERLAND. The Lenk station'S horizontal square dipole
will be dismantled within a matter of days. The fate of the
underground transmitters is unclear at this point, but it is
suspected they will go the way of the old Sarnen transmitter: to
the junk yard. It was a good station, and we "old timers" are
sorry to see it go. I heard it everywhere from India to Arizona.
Really good engineering. It is the sad end of another era. 73,
(Bob Zanotti, SRI, Oct 28, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING)

UKRAINE. The only freq I could find for English from RUI Oct 27
at 0100 was 5905, and that was far too weak to be of any use
(Ivan Grishin, Ont., Oct 27) None of the NAm freqs for RUI seem
to be making it here. The only freq I have been able to find is
5905 at 2200 and 0100, and it is fair to poor at best. (Ivan
Grishin, Ont, Nov 2, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING) RUI
English at 1200 on 21510 to Oceania is well heard here (Joe
Hanlon, PA, Nov 4, WORLD OF RADIO 964)

UNITED NATIONS [non]. UN-Radio - fresh from Babelsberg the
solution, why we still here nothing on the scheduled frequencies:
The decision to start the extended live broadcast service was made
last Monday and needs still to be confirmed by the UN general
meeting. This can be counted as a matter of form, but of course
until then will be no UN-Radio transmissions take place.

The new UN-Radio service will work in cooperation with VoA, BBC
and DW. These stations will provide slots on short- and
mediumwave for nothing or reduced rents, our reporter told.
Possibly this means, that the slots at Juelich are bought by
Deutsche Welle. However, the schedule of "Juelich company" shows
UN-Radio itself as customer, not DW instead. Furthermore the
Juelich outlets will seemingly not remain the only ones.
(Kai Ludwig, Germany, Nov 1, WORLD OF RADIO 964)            ###