Re: [HCDX]: RE: CFL

<< [Bob Foxworth]  I believe the CFL was published by Tom Kneitel,
 k2aes whose
 	outfit was CRB (Communications Research Bureau), Kneitel later
 was involved with
 	Popular Communications. While Perry Ferrell was always willing
 to talk with
 	and share info with DXers, I always had the _suspicion_ that TK
 was in it mainly for
 	the money, such as it was from selling DX station lists ...Okay,
 back to DXing now.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ >>

Hi Bob and other HCDXers:

The CFL was published by Gilfer for many years; I tried on several occasions
to buy Gilfer from the owner (Ferrell's widow) but she held out for a pretty
high price. I had just sold the M Street Journal to the employees, and was
looking to reinvest.

She edited the CFL in her office for at least one edition, and brought in
Geoff Halligey (sp?) later to continue it.

She sold Gilfer (without the CFL) to a Paul Lannuier(sp?) who had been Japan
Radio's rep in New York, and he ran it for several years. The place was near
my office so I went in a few times, but was increasingly made to feel
unwelcome by the hams who were working there. Never once did I see Lannuier
there. I believe he added ham products to offset a decline in SWL sales.

Although I respect hams, I find they REALLY look down their noses at "pure"
SWLs, although I have spent many times what the average ham does on equipment.
They think something is wrong with me (us) for not wanting to exchange inane
chitchat over the air.
I just don't think I have much to offer; building my own gear might be
different.  (I must tip my hat to the hams who work with Scouts, MARS, and
various emergency groups though). Strange how in Canada, New Zealand, and
Scandanvia SWLs can hold their heads high, but we're looked down on here.
Anyway, Gilfer's ham staff must not have been good for business, so I wasn't
alone.

Tom Kneitel was somehow involved with CRB books in Long Island (I think his
ex-wife runs it now but DON"T QUOTE ME ON THAT, since I'm not sure), but never
with CFL.

CFL is now published by a UK outfit, which I think is associated with the
publication PRATICAL WIRELESS, and IS available.