[HCDX]: TFW 73 4/4

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright 1998  Part  4
Year   3   Number  73  - Rome, 21 November 1998

LAOS - Lao National Radio, Domestic Service in Laotian, 6130v
<1100-1200>. Gongs/bells on hour at 1200. Often blocked by CHNX.
(D'Angelo, NU 1361/ODXA Target Listening)

MALAYSIA - Voice of Malaysia, M;alaya, <1100> 7295; <0800-0830* English
15295. 9750 Indonesian <1000-1100>. (ODXA Target Listening)

MONGOLIA - Like your correspondent from Alaska, I too was able, for a
time, to hear the Voice of Mongolia at 2030 UTC, on 11790 kHz with a
tremendous signal-- definite easy armchair copy. However, that signal
has disappeared over the past week, and there is not even a carrier
trace. I presume  that I was previously getting the signal off the back
of the beam aimed at Europe. I can only speculate as to whether I have
now lost the signals due to propagation (doubtful, given yesterday's
solar flux of 147 and the A and K indexes standing at 0), or some other
trouble (Bruce Cooley, Victoria BC, Nov 12, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL
BROADCASTING)

MYANMAR - Voice of Myanmar <1100-1500> Burmese & English at 1430 on
5986v. <1130-1250> Burmese 4725. 7185 *0030-0100> best in mid-winter.
(4/98 DXO/ODXA Target Listening)

NEPAL - Radio Nepal  Nepali, on 5005, 7165 (replaces 3230). In Eastern
North America try around 1100-1200 in Winter. *0015> 5005 in late
summer. (ODXA Target Listening)

NEW ZEALAND - RNZI continues to use 11905 0500-0706. On Nov 5, I heard
them there from 0500 to 0600. When I tuned back at 0640, they were gone
and I didn't find them on 9700, 17675, or anywhere else I scanned. They
did sign-on 9700 at 0706 as usual. (Ivan Grishin, Ont., REVIEW OF
INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/ GH SW/DX REPORT 98-49, November 10)

NEW ZEALAND - [Re: Ivan Grishin's report]  Correct -  11905 did happen
but only because of a computer programming error!! An old file got back
into the system. However we will return to 11905 next May to Sep.
(Adrian Sainsbury, RNZI, Nov 7 via Paul Ormandy/ GH SW/DX REPORT 98-49,
November 10)

NICARAGUA - This country's only SW station, R. Miskut on 5770-USB,
appeared to be active when checked Nov 6 at 1229 with music but near
fade-out. I doubt they're in a position to cover news from the interior,
but it's all we've got (Glenn Hauser, OK/ GH SW/DX REPORT 98-49,
November 10)

ROMANIA - RRI reception in the evening may be the pits as usual, as Bob
Thomas and others complain, but once again relatively good in the
morning; the 1300 broadcast, checked just before closing at 1355 on Nov
11, found all four frequencies in decreasing quality order: 17805,
15335, 17745, 15390. However, subsequent checks at 1300 find only
poor-to-fair reception unless the flux is peaking (Hauser, OK / GH
SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 98-50, Nov 16)

SOLOMON ISLANDS - Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corp. Radio Happy Isles
<0600-1200* English and Pidgin 5020. Radio Australia or BBC news  0600,
0700,  0800, 1000 & 1100. (ODXA Target Listening)

SOMALIA - Radio Hargeisa, V. of the Rep. of Somaliland, 6843 *1830-1900*
Somali. (Fisher, Canada/ODXA Target Listening )

SOMALIA - Holy Koran Radio, *1555-1700* Somali 7050. (Vaghjee
NU1477/ODXA Target Listening)

SOMALIA - Voice of the People, <2100* 6865 Somali. (Vaghjee,DXW121/ODXA
Target Listening)

SRI LANKA - Radio Sri Lanka *1230-1630*  9730, 15425. *0025-0430* 15425.
*1900-2000* Sa 6010 via U.K. All in English. (ODXA Target Listening)

TAHITI - RFO Tahiti 15170 French 2200-0500, 0800-0930; Tahitian
0500-0800, 0930-1600. Try around 0100-0400 and 1100-1200. (ODXA Target
Listening)

USA - A reminder that we have less than a week left of the AFN USB
relays from Key West, if the originally announced plan to close on Nov
15 is adhered to. Mon Nov 9 at 1235 check I found 12689.5 with TWO audio
feeds mixing (not ISB but both on USB), NBC-TV Today live feed with
Katie  Couric interviewing someone at NASA, and NPR Weekend Edition a
second or more behind KOSU; the NPR audio level was slightly lower than
NBC-TV, but the mix was unbearable. Not audible on 6458.5, but on 4278.5
with lots of QRM I could only detect the NBC-TV audio; at 1259 AFN (TV)
plug for Seinfeld, 1300 resume Today now mixing with something other
than NPR. 24 hours later I was hearing only Today (Glenn Hauser, OK/ GH
SW/DX REPORT 98-49, November 10)

USA - The program schedules posted at <http://theplanet.wbcq.net>
continue not to mesh with reality; still omits Sat programs before 2300.
On Nov 7 I tuned in 7415 at 2106 and heard Randi announcing true
schedule during own music-fill show: 2130 Fred Flintstone additional
airing since the original  time is during the VOA clash 2230 Spiritual
Awakening with James Bean [which seems never to have been on the
"official published" sked] ...Something was said about plans to put WBCQ
audio on internet (Glenn Hauser, REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING/
GH SW/DX REPORT 98-49, November 10)

-----------------------
DX PROGRAMS
-----------------------

WORLD OF RADIO MASTER SKED, SHORTWAVE ONLY, as of Nov 16, 1998, Days and
Times Strictly UT: THU  2130  WWCR  15685 --- FRI  2000  RFPI  15049
21460-USB --- SAT  0400  RFPI  6975 15049 --- SAT  1100  RFPI  6975
15049 [or 1130] --- SAT  1300  WWCR  5070 --- SAT  1800  RFPI  15049
21460-USB --- SAT  2330  WWCR  5070 --- SUN  0030  WGTG  5085-USB or
6890-USB --- SUN  0200  RFPI  6975 15049 21460-USB --- SUN  0730  WWCR
5070 --- SUN  0900  RFPI  6975 15049 [or 0930] --- SUN  1030  WWCR  5070
[?] --- SUN  1800  WGTG  9400-USB --- SUN  2300  RFPI  15049 21460-USB
--- MON  0600  WWCR  3210 --- MON  0700  RFPI  6975 15049 --- TUE  1330
WWCR  15685 --- TUE  1900  RFPI  15049 21460-USB --- WED  0300  RFPI
6975 15049 --- WED  2200  WBCQ  7415. For full details, and additional
broadcasts on satellite, cable, SAP, internet, AM and FM, see our
website <http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio>  (Glenn Hauser)

Join me for the latest tuning tips for the South Pacific on Radio New
Zealand International during " Mailbox ", fortnightly broadcasts,
Mondays 2135 UTC on 17675kHz, Wednesdays 1735 UTC on 6145kHz and Fridays
1930 UTC on 17675kHz.. Next Broadcasts commence November 23rd, December
7th and 21st, repeated on following days as above. And on AWR's
"Wavescan" commencing the third Sunday of the month (see
<http://www.awr.org> for  frequency schedule), repeated at 0700z and
1900z on ZLXA, New Zealand's Radio Reading Service, Levin, the third
Monday of the month, on 1602kHz, 3935kHz and 7290kHz. (Paul Ormandy)

--------------------------
NEWS RELEASE
--------------------------

I am very pleased to advise that Edition Number 6, December 1998, of the
popular "Australasian Shortwave Guide" is planned to be published on 12
December (print edition only - no electronic version!) I would be very
grateful if you could mention availability and content of the new
edition within your organization or community of interest, please!
CONTENT  - A4 format, commercially printed, 28 pages, saddle stitched
(only one printing - the previous edition of May 1998 was a sell-out!) -
TARGET READERSHIP. Primarily in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific
Islands,  secondarily in Asia, the Far East, the Indian sub-continent,
the Indian Ocean, and Siberia. Readers elsewhere will also find the
general articles of interest.-EDITOR AND PUBLISHER.  Bob Padula -
SHORTWAVE TRANSMISSIONS. A comprehensive alphabetical listing by country
of programs beamed to Australia, Oceania,  the Far East, South Asia, and
the Indian sub-continent, for the W98 (B98) Winter Season. Details are
given of frequencies, times, broadcast days, target areas relay sites,
languages and other information. This listing of several hundred entries
is applicable for the five month period commencing October 25 and
concluding on March 28 1999. There is also  a NEW special GRAPHICAL
INDEX on an hour-by-hour basis, referenced and linked to the main
alphabetical country listings. ASWG6 will have data NOT published in the
standard annual texts!  The data is sourced with the extensive support
of broadcasting stations, transmission planners, frequency coordinators,
technical consultants, engineering directorates and a network of
worldwide expert monitors. -  DXING SINGAPORE. An in-depth account of
radio broadcasting in the region, covering programming, networks,
propagation and current schedules.The study is supported by
comprehensive background information on the culture, languages and
history of the country. Prepared by Mick Ogrizek. - DXING FROM ASIA -
CONTINENT OF MYSTERY.  Special article about Shortwave DXing from the
hot and humid regions of the Golden Triangle (where the borders of
Thailand, Laosand Myanmar meet!), Tioman Island (a Malaysian island off
the north east coast), and Sarawak, land of the Hornbill. Summarised the
travels by Bob Padula into these exotic regions during 1998, with
accounts of the trials and tribulations of tropical DXing from jungles,
rivers, and mountains.  - AUSTRIA CALLS THE WORLD. The origins,
development, and present day operations of the shortwave service of the
Austrian Radio, in Vienna. - PROPAGATION ALMANAC. Propagation forecasts
for the remainder of 1998 and early 1999, with particular emphasis on
the new Solar Cycle Number 23.  - INTERNATIONAL BEOADCASTING. An account
of new developments and trends, including news about the work of the
High Frequency Coordination Conference (HFCC) and the Asian Broadcasting
Union High Frequency Conference (ABU-HFCC). Price for ASWG#6 is
unchanged - A$10 in Australia (elsewhere via economy airmail: A$15,
US$10, 10 IRCs)  (Price covers promotion, information search and
retrieval, research, printing and postage). Payment in Australia by Bank
Cheque, Personal Cheque, Credit Union Cheque, Money Order, or Cash
(Australian dollars).  Payment from outside of Australia: US or
Australian bank notes, International Money Order, Bank Draft in
Australian dollars, GIRO transfer or ten IRC's. Cheques must be drawn on
Australian banks and must be in Australian dollars.  Readers in New
Zealand and the South Pacific - please note that the ASWG is also
distributed by: Burnet Pollard Books, PO Box 149, Otaki 6471, New
Zealand (E-mail: <Burnet_Pollard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)  (Price NZ$12 for
delivery to New Zealand addresses from Burnet Pollard). (ADVERTISING.
Advertising space is still available in the ASWG6, for A$30 for one A4
page - or A$15 for a half-page. Several organizations worldwide have
already submitted their promotional messages for inclusion - if you
would like your organisation advertised, please get in touch with me
immediately! Advertisers receive complimentary copies of the Guide and
are invoiced at that stage).  Complimentary copies will be sent free of
charge for bona-fide review purposes! Please see the completely
reconstructed all-singing, all-dancing Web site of "Padula Books",
which contains details about the new Guide, and an Order Form !!! The
Site also contains Australian ordering information / pricing  about the
new editions of well-known annual monitoring references, including the
Klingenfuss SW Frequency Guide / Utility Guide / Super Frequency List on
CD-ROM, WRTH, Passport to Wiorldband Radio, as well as many other useful
publications!!!Please,visit us and bookmark:<
http://members.tripod.com/~bpadula/padulabooks.html>and
<http://members.tripod.com/~bpadula/edxp.html>Regards, Bob Padula

End