[HCDX]: special QSLs and not so special QSLs

[HCDX]: special QSLs and not so special QSLs

< Today, after about a month, I received a rather plain-looking full data
< letter on Radio Free Europe/Radio Loberty letterhead.  This was for my
< report on Radio Free Iraq's first day of operation, which was NOT
< mentioned in the letter.

< Definitely nothing special about this, and very disappointing.

< Has anyone received this promised "Special First Day QSL" ???
J.D. Stephens asked

Yes, I have. But it seemingly depends on what you would consider such a
"Special First Day QSL" you were looking for. I received that letter you
mentioned too, including all details necessary such as the name of the
program. They indeed did not mention that it was their first day of operation,
but I know it for myself. They also could have just sent their normal RL/RFE
card without any mention of the new program (like they mostly did when they
QSLed Radio Free Afghanistan during the 80s). When comparing it with the no-
data QSL I have received from Radio Free Asia several times, this one (for me)
really is special, since it also tells the sites they used on that day.

Concerning the RT Zanzibar QSL: I have the feeling that so far they have sent
out just a single one of the new cards Guido provided them with. So, may be
their new QSL policy is to receive a hundred cards from a DXer asking for a
QSL and then sending one back. I already talked to my favourite QSL printer
;-) Just kidding, folks. Zanzibar is one of the poorest places on earth; a
good friend of mine has been there recently and told sad stories about the
conditions he found. I am glad that so far they have managed to keep their
signal on 11734 on the air, providing me with a fascinating listening
possibility I would not find on any satellite or internet.

vy73

DL1ABJ@xxxxxxx (Harald Kuhl)