[HCDX]: IC-R8500

<<Two days ago I was told about tests of ICOM R8500 made by three members of
our DX club with surprisingly good results. They were comparing this wide
range receiver with NRD535DG on frequencies up to 30 MHz and they found almost
all parameters as excellent. They say it is much better than AR5000,
especially thanks to its excellent AM part.>>
Karel Honzik told us

And I agree. The only serious drawback when using the R8500 for hc dx is the
fact that you cannot turn off its AGC. So, in real tough QRM situations radios
like the AR7030, NRD-515/525 etc. always were better. Haven_t tried the newer
AR5000+ yet. That radio is more flexible in this respect and has five
independent VFOs. And I was surprised how good the original AR5000 was below
30 MHz after adding a good external preselector to it. Still, I would use such
a wideband radio only in addition to a decent shortwave receiver.

vy73

DL1ABJ@xxxxxxx (Harald Kuhl)