Re: [HCDX]: NRD-545

In a message dated 12/23/98 7:58:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ulis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Subj:	 Re: [HCDX]: NRD-545
 Date:	12/23/98 7:58:51 PM Eastern Standard Time
 From:	ulis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ulis R. Fleming)
 Sender:	owner-hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Reply-to:	hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 To:	hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 I use the Smart R8 program (www.crosslink.net/~mfine) and find that a lap
 top does not get into the radio and the antenna is far enough away from the
 radio to keep it quite.  Granted I live in an urban area where there is
 always some minor noise to over come at one time or another.  Conclusion..
 Laptops are quiter generally speaking than desk tops.

 Ulis >>
I can second Ulis's comment. I used to have a laptop from work that I used
with my Drake R8 and it was less noisy than my new Compaq Presario 5170 350
MhzPentium II.
I also find printers to be a problem. Shut your printer off while listening to
your radio.
But like Tom I would not trade the ability to use my computer to control my
radio for anything. I may never use my SONY 2010 in the house again.

73s David Snyder
Drake R8 Staten Island New York