Re: [HCDX]: IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash - 12/30/98

Re: [HCDX]: IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash - 12/30/98

HI:
I have been operating my 525 and 535Db rcvrs for two years now on gel cells.
I picked up a couple of 7 ah 12v gel cells at a ham fest brand new in the
box for $10 each.  I have a total of 4 now and the trick with gel cells that
few people know is they must be kept under charge when sitting on the shelf.
I have 4 in parrallel with a filtered charger attached to them and charges
on a continous basis.  ONe real plus is the rcvrs run cool as the internal
power supplies are no longer used.  For anyone using a 535 will tell you,
they can keep you warm in the winter.

Gel cells can be tricky but once you know the rules they play by, really a
great battery to own.  Never ever, fully discharge one.  You will destroy
the battery that way.  Run down only to about 75 or 80% if not under
continous charge.  Never let it set on a shelf not under charge.  It will
self distruct and short out.  I have purchased used batteries and basically
I wasted my money.  Most people don't understand Gel Cells.  So I would
suggest buying new ones.  A car battery charger is not so good as too much
ripple and needs to be filtered.  Do not allow the voltage to rise above
14.0 volts.  YOu will shorten the life of the battery.

I run both rcvrs, Datong filter, FL1 and FL2, and 4 active antennas plus a
laptop computer from the batteries.  I can get about 8 hours of use before I
hit the 80% level.  I have only used one rcvr at a time and the laptop for
this test.  I would guess the much less time with both rcvrs running.  Some
of the best dx can be had during a power failure due to low noise levels in
the area.  One bonus is no line noise by using this method to power up your
rcvrs.  One very important thing to remember is if you are using the ground
through the house wiring and have not used a grounding rod seperate, you
will need to install a ground rod.  Increased noise level with ungrounded
rcvr.

Just a tip and is much cheaper than buying Lantern batteries over the years.
I have seen Gel Cells last more than 7 years if properly maintained.  Car
batteries I guess would work but I don't want to deal with the acid problem.

Bob Montgomery\