Re: [HCDX]: IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash - 12/30/98

Re: [HCDX]: IRCA's AM DX NewsFlash - 12/30/98

>interference.  All I had to do was purchase enough 6 volt lantern
>batteries to power my NRD-525 and null steering controller and repair
>one of my two inverted L's which was damaged by a falling limb.  That

This is interesting!  I have a Drake R8A (and a DX398) and have been
thinking about emergency power.  It's probably too late for right now,
because the weather service is predicting 10 inches of snow for today.
I have two lantern batteries and can probably scrounge up a third.  The
only problem seems to be that I have noise in the neighborhood even
when all the power is out.  Maybe it comes from the cable TV or telephone
lines.

The first thing to check is to make SURE that your antenna has not come
into contact with power lines.  It sounds like a dream situation, except
for the
inconvenience.  I once took a DX390 about 100 yards into a cemetary (yes,
"graveyard" DX) and strung up a 30-foot wire about 4 feet off the ground.
 The reception was wonderful as I was so far away from the power lines.
It was unfortunate that I couldn't stay longer; I was in my car and the
cemetary closed down at sundown.

I lived in East Monroe (working at channel 14, ex-KLAA) about 1982-83
when they got about 13" of snow.  The boss called me at the station and
told
me I would have to stay there, because I knew how to drive in the snow
(being from Missouri) and no one else could get there.  I finally got
relieved
about noon the next day.  Slept in the dark production room with my head
on a stack of teletype paper.